Coffee and AA

For recovery discussion

Re: Coffee and AA

Postby BrendaChenowyth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:59 am

I have a cup of coffee every day. Sometimes two. It gives me energy. It doesn't impair my judgement. It doesn't hurt my bank account or relationships. When I go to my meeting tonight, I probably will not have a cup of coffee because I will not want to be awake all night, as I have class tomorrow. I will not be tortured by my inability to enjoy said coffee. That's the difference.
BrendaChenowyth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby mule » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

My point is that caffeine is an addictive, psychoachtive drug. People in aa obviously have problems with a specific psychoachtive drug. Should we bring salvia and RC's to meetings?
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:58 pm

When I came in I said very good I will stop smoking as well, which in the rooms was common in those days. People just said forget the smoking, you are here for help with drinking, I did stop smoking some years after. If they could give me the good advise of forget the smoking, I can surely tell you forget the coffee. Also withdrawal and recovery from this so called “addictive, psychoachtive drug,” is little more than headaches and feeling tired. You are new to AA try thinking about alcohol only, saving the world from other problems we can leave until we have recovered from alcoholism.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby jenko » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm

I have never been unable to stop after one cup of coffee. Never lied about drinking coffee. Never hid coffee all over the house. Never poured out a pot and sworn it off only to make another pot an hour later. Never drank so much coffee that I vomited, ended up in the ER, or on a psych unit. Coffee has never caused me to lose large chucks of my life due to blackouts.

I'm pretty sure I can drink coffee socially, and if given a very good reason, I'd have no trouble quitting.
Jennifer K. :)
jenko
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Very well put jenko, welcome to e-AA.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:17 pm

jenko wrote:I'm pretty sure I can drink coffee socially, and if given a very good reason, I'd have no trouble quitting.

I remember in my early days in AA, I once watched a woman at a meeting make her coffee. We didn't have a big pot of coffee, we had a tub or jar of instant coffee and a pot of hot water. This woman took a small polystyrene cup, and shoveled in maybe half a dozen teaspoons of coffee, plus a similar quantity of sugar.

It must have tasted absolutely revolting. I felt nausea just from watching.

Now, that is what I call a problem with caffeine, and I definitely think she needed to quit before gaining any peace of mind. A few of my fellow AAs were like this, but most of us are just not wired that way. It doesn't make us better, it just means we don't have a particularly troublesome coffee problem.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby PaigeB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:04 am

mule wrote:My point is that caffeine is an addictive, psychoachtive drug. People in aa obviously have problems with a specific psychoachtive drug. Should we bring salvia and RC's to meetings?

I know a Group who has a pot of hot water beside the coffee and packets for tea and hot chocolate. My group makes decaf in addition to a pot of regular coffee.

Here is today's Daily Reflection:
AVOIDING CONTROVERSY

All history affords us the spectacle of striving nations and groups finally torn asunder because they were designed for, or tempted into, controversy. Others fell apart because of sheer self-righteousness while trying to enforce upon the rest of mankind some millennium of their own specification.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 176

As an A.A. member and sponsor, I know I can cause real damage if I yield to temptation and give opinions and advice on another's medical, marital, or religious problems. I am not a doctor, counselor, or lawyer. I cannot tell anyone how he or she should live; however, I can share how I came through similar situations without drinking, and how A.A.'s Steps and Traditions help me in dealing with my life.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

I am not a doctor, nor have I asked my doctor, about caffeine... I guess I figured I have a lot of stuff going on so maybe she makes no suggestion on caffeine because I do not go to her with a sleeping problem. If I did go to my doctor and she said "quit the caffeine" I would not impose that on my group or any other group.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby cristis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 pm

the coffee is actually so bad at these meetings, I cannot worry about anyone getting addicted =biggrin
cristis
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:39 am

the coffee is actually so bad at these meetings

We are there for recovery. Not for the coffee.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby mule » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Brock wrote:When I came in I said very good I will stop smoking as well, which in the rooms was common in those days. People just said forget the smoking, you are here for help with drinking, I did stop smoking some years after. If they could give me the good advise of forget the smoking, I can surely tell you forget the coffee. Also withdrawal and recovery from this so called “addictive, psychoachtive drug,” is little more than headaches and feeling tired. You are new to AA try thinking about alcohol only, saving the world from other problems we can leave until we have recovered from alcoholism.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby mule » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Wow Brock I am new to AA but I am capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. Extreme example: I see a choking man. I know the Heimlich. I am in recovery...a new member of a noble society,,,but I need to worry about cleaning up myself before I help this unfortunate soul in front of me. What a preachy suggestion.

I am doing 90 in 90 and take this very seiously. I have gone to 3 meetings in a day many times. I am reading the books and beginning the steps.

Apparantly however an innocuous query earns me a stern lecture.

Thanks brock, I'll drop my sponser and sit cross-legged before you as a devotee and take in your pearls of wisdom.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Apparantly however an innocuous query earns me a stern lecture.

I don’t call this an innocuous query -
My point is that caffeine is an addictive, psychoachtive drug. People in aa obviously have problems with a specific psychoachtive drug.

Members with experience in AA try to advise newcomers, if you can’t take some well meant advise to forget about coffee and concentrate on the job at hand, without making sarcastic remarks, the journey to recovery will be tougher than necessary.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:06 pm

My alcohol consumption contributed and created unmanageability in my life.

There are a myriad of things (not just substances), that can make a person's life unmanageable. It is up to the individual to decide when unmanageability comes into play and becomes an issue. Sources of unmanageability vary from individual to individual.

Yes I am an alcoholic, but I have discovered in recovery that control issues (such as not having control over the universe) were also causing unmanageability in my life.

After discovering that, any subsequent action was up to me.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 am

We have traditions to address alcoholism. I remember bringing up smoking with one of the senior members of the group I use to go. I wasn't given a warm welcome. His point was AA is here to address alcoholism, there are thousand other stuff that kills people. I remember he quoting the emission from vehicles that kills several people everyday. But I pursed a remedy for my smoking. With all the negative press against chantix, I did use that to overcome smoking. Yes there was anxiety, depression but I believe its because of we coming out of these addictions. Of course this is my personal experience.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lobos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 am

avaneesh912 wrote:We have traditions to address alcoholism. I remember bringing up smoking with one of the senior members of the group I use to go. I wasn't given a warm welcome. His point was AA is here to address alcoholism, there are thousand other stuff that kills people. I remember he quoting the emission from vehicles that kills several people everyday. But I pursed a remedy for my smoking. With all the negative press against chantix, I did use that to overcome smoking. Yes there was anxiety, depression but I believe its because of we coming out of these addictions. Of course this is my personal experience.

I don't see a big deal about bringing up something other than alcoholism, but I can see his point. Maybe it's better to focus on one specific thing.
Lobos
Forums Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions