Coffee and AA

For recovery discussion

Re: Coffee and AA

Postby Roberth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Hello mule and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I don’t know if you are trying to change AA and just prove you are right. Either way coffee at meetings is not up you or me. We are just a small part of the whole. I was introduced to the AA tradition early and was explained the importance of them.

If a group wants to have coffee or not, it’s up to the group not me or you. The 4th tradition is quite clear about things like that. What gets them to that decision is the 2nd tradition. And the reason I abide by that decision is the 1st tradition.

I follow these traditions and concepts partly because I want to stay sober but also because I want AA to still be here for the alcoholic that was born today.

There are over 200 12 steps programs, I am willing to bet there is an All Addictions Anonymous somewhere and if there isn’t there is nothing stopping anyone from starting one.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Onlyzen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 am

one coffee is must in a day
Onlyzen
Forums Newcomer

Postby mule » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Brock wrote:
Apparantly however an innocuous query earns me a stern lecture.

I don’t call this an innocuous query -
My point is that caffeine is an addictive, psychoachtive drug. People in aa obviously have problems with a specific psychoachtive drug.

Members with experience in AA try to advise newcomers, if you can’t take some well meant advise to forget about coffee and concentrate on the job at hand, without making sarcastic remarks, the journey to recovery will be tougher than necessary.

As for the first statement that wasn't the query, simply a fact stated later in my post. As for your second I am very receptive to the advice of greybeards but blind acceptance to any doctrine that discourages curiosity and an innocent question or two is what we call Heavens Gate.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 am

our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Doddering Moron » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Regardless of which symptom you remove -caffiene, alcohol, sugar or meds -this is an action program designed to treat the causes and conditions that lead us up to these syymptoms or coping mechanisms.

Removing symptoms without a treatment, a program of action -and you just go tic, tic, boom! 'till you relapse or, switch to a new coping mechanism.

How about moving? Leaving town, geographical symptom. Russia! Resist!

Overspending. Overeating. Religious fanatacism, hypnosis, brainwashing. The list of symptoms begins with alcohol. And yet, where does it end? Artificial sexbots? :mrgreen:

I hope you see the action around you and go for it!
Doddering Moron
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions