race and culure

For recovery discussion

race and culure

Postby mule » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Does recovery take cultural issues into consideration?
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Re: race and culure

Postby positrac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:58 am

mule wrote:Does recovery take cultural issues into consideration?

Can you elaborate more on what you are specifically asking? AA is a world wide organization in which all walks of life are represented. That is unless you are living in some remote rain forest and never seen anything of the modern world and then I'd say most likely not represented yet.

Alcoholism and addictions doesn't see race, color or creed so nobody is unique in this aspect.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 am

Alcoholism and addictions doesn't see race, color or creed so nobody is unique in this aspect.

I think we share alcoholism in common, and so we can identify with another alcoholic regardless of cultural differences, and as positrac says color as well. I sometimes hear members say, if you drink in a fancy restaurant or a dive, it's the same alcohol, and other similar sayings.

I live on a third world West Indian island, and see the reactions of some foreign visitors to our groups, there is a cultural gap they have to take into account. Some come here and try to tell us how to run things, thankfully only a few do that. I am a believer in when in Rome do as the Romans do, and if someones culture is different, they are much better off trying to change some of their own ways, rather than expecting others to change to suit them.

Thanks for the question mule, good to have you here with us.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am

Does recovery take cultural issues into consideration?

Interesting question……I think recovery is a wide enough path to not restrict any cultural issues.
We have pamphlets such as A.A. for the Black and African American Alcoholic, A.A. for the Native North American, A.A. and the Armed Services and so on. These were made that we might better reach other cultures.
I went to Forum on a reservation a few years back on how we can better reach out to the Native Americans. The addiction rates on the reservations are between 90 and 100% of adult mates. It wasn’t about changing the program of recovery, it was about what does AA need to do to be able to carry the message to them. Out of such forums the big book being translated in to Navajo.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby mule » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Brock thank you for the polite welcome. I think what I am curious about is how the recovering community feels about the hot button topics of privilege and intersectionality. For instance some could and will argue that as a white man perhaps I bear some historical resposibility for introducing alcohohol to populations with no history of it.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:58 pm

AA has no opinion on things like that. We have a Primary Purpose. Any individual might carry those ideas, but introducing them as something that is part of AA would be unacceptable.

The Preamble is read at every meeting I have attended:
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety. (emphasis mine)
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby mule » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm

fair enough, I am truly new at all of this. It does seem however to never cross this line will be difficult. Even AA's own insistence on a monotheistic, male deity already politicizes this for over a billion people. But we are here to recover not disagree.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:19 pm

The male deity thing was a big deal for me... I am an atheist. LOL ~ One might think that I would be discriminated against but I was not. No one seemed to flinch let alone care that I was different with my HP - why would they care about my race or my clothes or my poverty level? This disease kills and we do not want anyone to die or to suffer.

I got through because I went to meetings, got a sponsor and worked the Steps. If I can do it, anyone can.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby mule » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:31 pm

well said
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:00 pm

For instance some could and will argue that as a white man perhaps I bear some historical resposibility for introducing alcohohol to populations with no history of it

So who taught the animals to get drunk? Watch the youtube videos they are so funny. Many animals get drunk eating fermented fruit. And there is a video 'alcoholic vervet monkeys', where the vervet monkeys steal alcohol from visitors sun bathing. Again the 3 categories: the tea-totallers, hard drinkers and those who drink till the last drop.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am

mule wrote:For instance some could and will argue that as a white man perhaps I bear some historical resposibility for introducing alcohohol to populations with no history of it.

By this logic, I should earn a royalty for every train ticket sold, because I am a direct descendant from one of the railroad pioneers.

Some can and will talk a lot of BS. This doesn't make them right.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:20 am

mule wrote:fair enough, I am truly new at all of this. It does seem however to never cross this line will be difficult. Even AA's own insistence on a monotheistic, male deity already politicizes this for over a billion people. But we are here to recover not disagree.

For me to feel guilty over my skin color, my ethnic back grounds have no bearing whatsoever on my sobriety. If anything I am a silent example of life without alcohol and drugs and that it can be achieved if I work to rid it from me.
Next thing that will be questioned is if the Lord's Prayer and Serenity Prayer violate rights of the people and to protest they take a knee.....

Being new is great because of the fresh eyes; although too many questions lead to problems and personality issues that really aren't necessary and thus are addressed in the 12 traditions. Just understanding that AA and the methods mentioned in the literature are followed the world over and that in itself answers the questions.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby mule » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:29 pm

But blue moon you must realize that being white and having brought the world both mental and technological modernity, somehow the world is allowed to enjoy the fruits of our labor just don't let your *insert pronoun" wear a moana costume.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 am

mule wrote: For instance some could and will argue that as a white man perhaps I bear some historical resposibility for introducing alcohohol to populations with no history of it.

i didnt have a choice of race i was born with. no choice over where in the world i was born or who my parents were.
i wasnt able to control how my ancestors behaved or what they did- i wasnt even a thought in my parents head.
my accountability is only for my time alive.

imo, if alcohol is introduced where it never was, like myself, the people that drank are the ones responsible for alcohol gitting into their bodies.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby cristis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 pm

mule wrote:Brock thank you for the polite welcome. I think what I am curious about is how the recovering community feels about the hot button topics of privilege and intersectionality. For instance some could and will argue that as a white man perhaps I bear some historical resposibility for introducing alcohohol to populations with no history of it.

If you are asking the topics to avoid in AA meetings, this is one of them. It looks like a social topic, but it's a political slogan, propagated by Social Justice Warriors and US Democrats. It's political because its own basis is silly: when you blame someone for something he has no control over it (its generation, previous generation, what his parents or ancestors did), then this is pure discrimination. Me personally I would punish the same way white people who discriminate against blacks, but also the blacks who spread this blunt "white privilege" racist rhetoric.
cristis
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions