A Day at a Time

For recovery discussion

A Day at a Time

Postby Timothy3012 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 am

I read this quote this morning and it sparked off one of those 'A-ha!' moments...

''...embracing our brokenness and bringing it into the light of the One who calls us 'loved' can make our brokenness shine like a diamond''

I am realising more and more just how truly broken an individual I am. I'm a very weak and fragile alcoholic who could not even stay alive without the daily intervention of God's love and power in my life enabling me to stay away from the first drink. I realised what an amazing truth this actually is; every sober day I am given through the program and fellowship of AA is a day where I can say - and back it up - that I have a God constantly working in my life; a God who is literally keeping me alive a day at a time. I know this because I know I can't stay sober on my own steam...I tried and it never worked, not once!

For whatever reason, the life of an alcoholic was chosen as my path. As it says in one of the stories in the big book, even though I didn't give my permission, I am an alcoholic. I don't believe this was some sort of a creative mistake or blunder; I believe that everything that has happened in my life has happened exactly the way it was meant to have happened. I am beginning to see I will never know the 'why' of it all, but, by God's grace, I believe I am being granted the serenity to accept the 'is' of my life.

Every humiliating, painful, and overwhelming experience of my past has become a powerful tool to enable me to relate to the newcomer of AA. By sharing my brokenness with them, I invite the other person in return to share their own brokenness. I'm learning it's OK to be flawed, to be human. If the only people who were ever members of AA were perfect and flawless human beings then how could a new, confused, and still suffering alcoholic ever relate and feel comfortable in the rooms? As the promises say, my past has become valuable and useful and need not be hidden in shame.

In God's hands, my own pain can be used to help others to accept theirs.
Timothy3012
Forums Enthusiast

Re: A Day at a Time

Postby Noels » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

Heya Timothy :D beautiful, honest, truthful and very wise share. Thank you for that :D
Lotsa love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: A Day at a Time

Postby mule » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Isn't telling how often we have failed until introduced to aa
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions