The First One!

For recovery discussion

Re: The First One!

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am

my HP never once called me on the phone.

If you read the we agnostics chapter, it talks about the great reality deep down within everyone one of us. This process is to get connected with that inner resource. So, times away from the fellowship, GOD doesn't have to call you to reminder you that you are an alcoholic. We within ourselves, have that clarity.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am

If you read the we agnostics chapter, it talks about the great reality deep down within everyone one of us. This process is to get connected with that inner resource. So, times away from the fellowship, GOD doesn't have to call you to reminder you that you are an alcoholic. We within ourselves, have that clarity.

Yep, right until we don't.

Hey, my Hat is off to anyone that doesn't need the Fellowship, just as it is to those who can turn around and drink like a Gentleman.

I once thought the same way, I was too busy with other life things. To keep it, I have to give it away, Meeting rooms are a great place to start.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 am

You are bouncing all over the place. First you said God doesn't call you to remind you. Now you are talking about passing along the message. And you are interpreting what I wrote as I am shunning away from the fellowship. You got all twisted.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

You got all twisted.

I didn't take it that way - I took it as a personal statement of experience. Then again, I too need the meetings. So I do not understand those who seem not seem to need them. Meetings keep me on the humble side. :lol: :lol: Oh - maybe not LOL. Nevermind.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 am

Hey, my Hat is off to anyone that doesn't need the Fellowship, just as it is to those who can turn around and drink like a Gentleman.

I don’t think it’s fair putting those two in the same sentence, firstly we only say our hats are off to those who can leave AA and drink like a gentleman, in reality I have heard people making snide remarks and saying nasty things. I have heard the same things said about those who say they don’t need the fellowship to stay sober, maybe D’oh is one of the few who really means they are OK with it, but others are not.

I believe it all comes down to the level of spirituality we have, if I fall off the wagon spiritually, I feel like crap, and I have never found a meeting which can fix that, a quiet time with the God of my understanding and I feel good again. So if we are leading a good life thanks to the spiritual awakening, we need only maintain that, and it’s easy to know when it needs maintenance, we don’t feel so good. But if our life is not very good to start with, we might not notice when we feel worse, when we loose contact with our higher power, maybe the contact wasn’t that good to start with.

I absolutely am fine with those who hold on to the fellowship for survival, my problem lies with them telling others that is how the program works. I will go to meetings because I quite enjoy one or two of them, and hopefully what I say may help somebody, but writing here is also passing the message, giving away to keep etc. If I was told I had to attend meetings for life, or else I would drink again, I doubt I would be around now, because as a new member I really thought meetings sucked. Thankfully someone told me they are not a life sentence, I found that to be true and that’s the message I pass on.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

I found that to be true and that’s the message I pass on.

I believe this is what most people do.

The rub seems to occurs when one person's truth doesn't match up with what another person deems the truth should be for that person.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Why all of this insistence that I am twisting things up? I know clearly my own experience. As for readings from the Big Book, We Agnostics, Jim's Story, Jay Walker, I use to be the one that was asked where it was written in the book. Still am. I have read it more than all other readings in my life. It didn't keep me sober though. Each time I read it a different outlook can come to me. Even more so with other's insight.

As far as keeping in Fit Spiritual Condition, one can do it alone, but I for one can warp what my Higher Powers Will is to be, into what My will should be. That's where others can keep me grounded and at the same time, offer what has so freely been granted to me.

My Sponsor, gave me 4 rules before accepting to Sponsor me.

1 Read the Big Book
2 Go to at least 2 Meetings a week
3 Call him once a week, even just to let him know I am still alive.
4 Call him before I pick up a drink, give him a chance before the bottle a chance.

Spiritual Maintance, Contact with Others, and an escape plan so I don't drag him down with me.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 am

The rub seems to occurs when one person's truth doesn't match up with what another person deems the truth should be for that person.

We are trying to see if it compares with what is in the big book. See the statements below. Its just not Doh, there are many people go around sharing these 4 things that MY Sponsor asked me to do. The first three is probably a good thing. Look at this statement below. This is telling the newcomer that he has choice in drink and also the sponsor has the power to stop him.

What about the subtle insanity that precedes each and every drunken spree? Why aren't people calling their sponsors?

4 Call him before I pick up a drink, give him a chance before the bottle a chance.

Spiritual Maintance, Contact with Others, and an escape plan so I don't drag him down with me.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 am

As a Newcomer, It made sense to give him a try before the bottle. I didn't realize it as an Escape Plan until I started Sponsoring. "Fear Sobered me for a bit" is a good thing, for working on the Steps. I had even called him at 3 am once because I had a dream.

Why must it Fit in the Book? Analyzing the Program instead of Utilizing the Solution. Just like almost every Personal Story in the Big Book, I am stating that the Fellowship and 12th Step are an important part of Keeping what has been so freely granted us.

I had it, I slipped, I got it back. What does it mean for me Today? Basically, I don't own it, but I can use it everyday if I ask for it, and pass it along in all of my daily affairs.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 am

Why must it Fit in the Book?

Your experience fits the book. Nobody is denying that. Just because you called your sponsor at 3am, doesn't mean it works all the time. When people relapse they didn't. Why? Thats where we are trying to bring clarity. The blind spots, the mental in-consistencies as the book calls it, prevents the normal/sane functioning of the will. If we let the newcomer go to their homes after their meetings, they might look at the powerlessness closely and maybe consider digging more into how to find the power.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am

When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet.

page 25 of the Big Book.

The group conscience is that we close topics after five pages. Feel free to start a new thread or take what you have here and do a part 2!

Peace & Love,
Paige
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions