Back to work ...

For recovery discussion

Back to work ...

Postby COB1998 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 am

Hey everyone, I'm Charles, 19 years old and have a problem with drinking since I was 15.
I'm from Quebec Canada and I really need to put a stop to this. I used to go to school and complete tasks and started working at the KFC (Student job) but also started drinking alot because hey, it was fun to drink with friends and the feeling of well being that brought me was unique ! But the more and more I did, the less fun it would get, started drinking alone and for no reason at all.. When I was 17 at school during lunch time, my friend and I decided to drink at school, 40oz of White rum that we shared, and we got so drunk that he decided to get to the cafeteria and jump a dude he didn't like, fight started in front of the hole school and so drunk I just threw punches myself.. Last day of school for me in ever, we got in court and I got 200$ to pay for this plus they locked me to the police station for 3 days.. Well this is one of the things that alcohol gor me into trouble.. It's awful how this drug is legal and easy to get.. Later on I started having intense anxiety and I have OCD plus a hard depression .. So I quit my job and stayed home with my mom, she loves me so much and does her best for me by qorking 40 hours a week at minimum wage and didn't kick me out of the house, during 7 months I kept drinking ( Even stealing to drink ) and not work.. Doctor put me on Zoloft and Anti psychotics etc but always felt like dying and still am .. And since last month I got my job back at the KFC but struggle so much .. 3 times I went to work drinking allday.. And since yesterday I started Paxil and didn't drink for two days and I gotta keep going but I don't know how I can get through thia, i'm so depressed and all.. Well I gotta go to work wish yall a nice day and take care !!
COB1998
Forums Newcomer

Re: Back to work ...

Postby Patsy© » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Charles and welcome...

Charles, I would strongly suggest that you click on this link, its the AA meetings in Quebec. http://www.aa-quebec.org/region89/en/meeting.shtml

Charles, alcohol is a depressant and once we cross that invisible line into "Alcoholism".... it means that we have lost the ability to choose to NOT drink. We are not bad people trying to get good, we are sick people trying to get well.

Please, click on the link above and find the AA meeting nearest to you and attend. When you get to the AA meeting, please let someone there know that you are new and want to stop drinking.

Charles, when I attended my first AA meeting, I was feeling lost, hopeless, anxious, irritable, discontent, angry, sad, frightened and very very confused.....Charles, you are not alone anymore!

When you get to the AA meeting, all the people there will know how you feel, they have all been right where you are at. At my first AA meeting, they suggested that I get to as many face to face AA meetings as I possibly could, and to sit up front and listen, identify and do not compare, and to let someone there know that I was new and to ask for help from those wonderful AA members.

They suggested that I get as many phone numbers as I could and to pick up the phone and call them if I wanted to drink. They also suggested that I call them when I was feeling good, when I was feeling bad, sad, mad or glad....I did, it works.
Get a meeting list book and take the pamphlets on the table, those pamphlets can give you much information about AA and information about the illness of Alcoholism . Get a Big Book and read it and if you have questions, just ask an AA member there, they can help....its one alcoholic helping another.

Most of all Charles, please remember that there are AA rooms in your area that are full of people just like you and me and they have a Solution that works and all you have to do is show up, take a seat, listen and ask for help....then just Keep Coming no matter what. :)

Alcoholism is a 3 fold illness.....Mental, Physical, and Spiritual.

Mental...I had an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts) that insured that I would take the first drink.

Physical...Once I put one drink of alcohol into my body, it set up a physical compulsion for MORE, and I would continue to drink against my will, until I was drunk, sick and out of control again.

Spiritual...I was brought up with pretty good values that I had been taught from a very early age. When I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism I just kept moving my own values down, thinking things, saying things, and doing things that I never ever thought I was capable of, until my own value system became unrecognizable even to myself, and I would do whatever I needed to do...just to get a drink, because I had lost the ability to choose to NOT drink.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 am

Welcome here Charles.

Well done for 'speaking' out here about your problem, everyone on these forums has been in a situation not that much different from yours, some may be older and live in different areas, but we all found the fun of drinking we enjoyed at first had become a problem, and we found the solution in AA.

The founder of AA and writer of most of our literature, Bill Wilson, like yourself suffered badly from depression. In AA it's suggested that we let doctors do what they do best, and any drugs prescribed by a doctor are fine, just stick to them as prescribed.

As advised already, your best bet is finding and attending AA meetings, some areas have special young peoples meetings, you can ask about these, it's somewhere you might feel more comfortable. But keep in mind any AA meeting is not something to be scared of, we often have new folks here who are scared to go, but it's just a group of good people drinking a little coffee and talking, and you don't need to speak if you don't want to. Everyone who goes for the first time comes back and says it was cool, nothing to be anxious about. I hope you will keep in touch with us here, we enjoy hearing from new members and following how they are getting along. I will put up some links to stuff you might read when you have time, all the best to you.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby COB1998 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your help and ampathy, I looked for meetings on internet and it's not even from where I live ! I will give it a shot since I am really motivated to let my mind and body free from this "poison"
Started sipping tea also helps :p !!
COB1998
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 am

Charles,

On the AAs home page, on the left, if you are from US or Canada, you can plug in your Zipcode/Postal code that will lead you to regional web-site links. If you don't mind you can reply here with city, state and country where you are from, we could try to dig in and see if we can find meetings close to you.

https://www.aa.org/
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Db1105 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am

Welcome! I sobered up at the age of 17 back in the later 1970's. AA has given me a great life. Please contact your local AA group and get to a meeting.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby bbqking » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:16 am

Alcohol can exacerbate anxiety and depression and anxiety and depression can be a driving force to "self-medicate" - drink alcohol for some people.

One can cause the other - Or you could have both as It's also possible to have a propensity towards alcoholism and have anxiety and depression issues.

So they may be directly related or not.

I would advise going to AA meetings and talking to your doctor about the affects or lack of affects medication is having for you.

Multi-modal therapy (psychotherapy, cognitive therapy, behavioral etc..) with medication adjustment might be needed if your current regimen is not working.

Every medication doesn't work for everyone - it can take a fair amount of trial and error to find what works and what doesn't.

But for sure - drinking is only a temporary solution to anxiety and depression that ultimately makes it worse over time - it works until it doesn't and the end result of that can be fatal.

Go to a meeting for sure, there are dual diagnosis meetings out there as well that may be helpful to you.
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Postby alexpik » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 am

All the hard work that everyone has put into this new lifestyle will be for naught if there is no RECOVERY PLAN. A recovery plan is just that — a plan for ones in recovery to incorporate doable, realistic goals AND consequences for falling short of those goals.
alexpik
Forums Newcomer

Postby JohnDaniels » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 am

Welcome Home Charles and Alex.

Alex, what a great post. I'm interested in hearing your story!

Peace
JohnDaniels
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions