I have a problem

For recovery discussion

I have a problem

Postby Mobil » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm

I was a 7 day a week drinker due to my job stress. I switched jobs and I'm on a non stressful Monday through Friday job now...friday my craving hits early because I can't drink during the week or ill get fired..all day on Fridays i can't wait to get off to get drunk and do coke..ill binge Friday and ill binge saturday...sunday I will recover and still groggy on Mondays. What is my first step? I went to rehab when I was younger and it has came back...what should my first step be? Sick of this lifestyle....thanks
Mobil
Forums Newcomer

Re: I have a problem

Postby Patsy© » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 am

Mobil wrote:I was a 7 day a week drinker due to my job stress. I switched jobs and I'm on a non stressful Monday through Friday job now...friday my craving hits early because I can't drink during the week or ill get fired..all day on Fridays i can't wait to get off to get drunk and do coke..ill binge Friday and ill binge saturday...sunday I will recover and still groggy on Mondays. What is my first step? I went to rehab when I was younger and it has came back...what should my first step be? Sick of this lifestyle....thanks

Good morning Mobil and Welcome,

Mobil, it doesn't say on your profile where you are from, so I would suggest looking up "Alcoholics Anonymous" in your area, and then call that number. When the AA member answers the phone, please tell them what you have told us here.

I had a lot of excuses for why I drank, but only one valid reason....I am an alcoholic, that's it. I blamed people, places and things for why I drank, my job, my family, the bills, neighbors, anything and anyone would do as my excuses were many and varied.

The simple truth is that after I crossed that line into alcoholism, I had developed an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts), coupled with a physical compulsion (once I put one drink into my body, it set up a compulsion for MORE), because I had lost the ability to choose to NOT Drink.

Mobile, alcoholism is cunning, baffling, powerful, insidious, left to its own devices and untreated...alcoholism Kills.

Being sick and tired of being sick and tired was a great place to be when I first came to AA, it helped me to put a dent in the Denial that kept me "thinking" that my drinking was ok. I had a mind that would lie to me on a daily basis, telling me that just ONE drink wouldn't hurt. Well, I never have had one drink in my life! It took listening at AA meetings and talking with some wonderful AA members to help me realize that I was completely powerless over alcohol.

Please get to at least 6 AA meetings face to face in your area, when you get there just ask for help, take a seat and talk with some AA members.... they have been right where you are at, and they have a solution that works. Those AA members will welcome you with open arms =biggrin
Last edited by Patsy© on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 am

friday my craving hits early because I can't drink during the week or ill get fired..

I could relate to this. I promised my wife that I will only drink on Friday and that too just 1 beer. What a mistake. I would obsess rest of the week and when Friday came I would drink that 1 beer and the craving would kick in and had to make excuses to go to fetch something else several times to get more beer. This vicious cycle went on for another few years. But soon, it became weekend deals and slowly all week thing again.

So the book talks about we drink for the EFFECT produced by alcohol. We succumb to the desire and we take that first drink and then the craving kicks in. Stress and other other things are just excuses we come up with. For me it was boredom.

If you are looking for a permanent solution, grab a member who could walk you through the 12 steps and help you have a spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 am

Mobil wrote: What is my first step?

I believe you have taken part of that first step already, with the words 'I have a problem.' I agree that finding a meeting is the next logical step, and hopefully if someone seems like they are enjoying life, and they speak about the steps they took, you might ask them to show you.

The two main things which helped me stay in AA, after being in and out over a number of years, were coming to believe these words which are in the chapter 'into action,' -
We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.

After doing those steps that's exactly what happened, the problem, (and many other problems), was removed.

The second thing was that I was encouraged to go to as many meetings as possible, and nobody told me that after I do those steps, I could cool it on the number of meetings. So sitting there in meetings I did not really enjoy, and thinking this was a life sentence, was too much for me, so back to drinking I went. I now try to make it a point, to let new people interested in AA know, that after we recover by doing the steps, not only do the meetings become more enjoyable, but also they are more or less optional. I go to one or two usually each week because it's nice to help others, most recovered alcoholics I know do the same.

I will put up some links to three chapters in the big book, and some other pamphlets, when you have an opportunity maybe take a read, you can't go wrong with this program, it's a much better life than that 'weekend warrior' existence, all the best to you.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am

Hello Mobil and welcome to E-AA, my name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Asking for help is a very good start. I found a way to live alcohol free through AA. It hasn’t been all rainbow and unicorns but I was able to deal with my problems by applying the principals of the step to get through them.
When I first came to AA they told me the I would never have to take another drink if I didn’t want to and even if I wanted to I wouldn’t have to if I was willing to do a few simple things. That has been true for me for the last 25 years. I must say it has been one hell of a journey.
If you want to stop contact your local AA central Office and they will help you find a meeting
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby desypete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:37 am

hi and its good to see your thinking that you might have a problem
rest assured if your like me and i am an alcoholic, the problem you have right now will in time progress to get worse

i could stop with ease it talks about powerless in the book but like you i had the power to stop all week long so i couldn't be an alcoholic could i ? as alcoholics can not stop on there own will power or so i was lead to believe about what a real alcoholic was all about

people would say dont pick up that first drink and others would say its impossible not to be able to not pick up that first drink if your an alcoholic or our type

so its little wonder there is much confusion about it all
however the easyiest way i can explain it is its all about progression
like you i could stop all week and couldn't wait till the weekend when i could drink and end up all over the place

until the time came for sunday and my dry out period and i would take a drink on the sunday to try to help me recover from the hangover from hell
and then end up getting drunk as a lord sunday and not be able to go into work on the monday
so i started to have lots of mondays off as monday i would dry out and back to work on a tuesday

until of course i would take a drink on the monday to help me with the effects of the hangover from hell and i would end up being drunk on the tuesday and have to take a day off

on and on this went until my business went bust thanks to a drink drive ban and the pure fact i was just totally unreliable

drink had now taken over my whole life and i was drinking every day
my condtion got worse and i lost more and more around me

so like i say its a progressive illness and when your not in the thick of it, its one of the hardest things to believe in that maybe what happend to me might also happen to you

the good news is it doesnt have to be that way for anyone, aa has the answers and the help should you wish it
i came to aa out of sheer desperation as i had nothing and no one left
but many come to aa with still such a lot left in there lives so it shows it can be done and no one has to end up losing it all so i hope you can take yourself over to your local aa meeting and start from there
good luck to you
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions