A Firey Message

For recovery discussion

A Firey Message

Postby Patsy© » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:48 pm

A Firey Message

A newer member of AA decided she didn't need to go to any more meetings. After a few weeks, her sponsor decided to visit her. It was a chilly evening and the sponsor found the sponsee at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire.

Guessing the reason for her sponsor's visit, the sponsee welcomed her, led her to a big chair near the fireplace and waited.
Her sponsor made herself comfortable, but said nothing. In the grave silence, she contemplated the play of the flames around the burning logs.

After some minutes, the sponsor took the firetongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone.
Then she sat back in her chair, still silent.

The sponsee watched all this in quiet fascination. As the one lone ember's flame diminished, there was a momentary glow and then it's fire was no more, it was cold and "dead as a doornail.
Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting.

Just before the sponsor was ready to leave, she picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it. As the sponsor reached the door to leave, the sponsee said, "Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the fiery sermon. I'll see you at the meeting in the morning."
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Re: A Firey Message

Postby positrac » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 am

It doesn't take much at times to convict another to re-evaluate what is important and what is necessary. My opinion is that meetings aren't supposed to be fun, entertaining (although at times they are) as much as learning to live in the world without alcohol. The world doesn't care about us as much as they care that we aren't causing trouble due to our alcohol use and abuse.

People complain about meetings this and that and I say until they fully do 90 & 90 non stop then there is no complaints. I've complained over the years and I made choices like changing my times to attend, going to other meetings in new locations from my home, and even got involved to make a difference and I am the one who benefited and it is a good thing. So we have the choice to make our sobriety either white knuckle or quality and opinions vary. For me the good and bad of the last 27 years is proof it will work if I work it.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 am

How very True positrac and thank you for sharing that. :)
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby desypete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 am

its simple for me today as i have to believe i am a nut case
i need medication for my nut case head and there is no where in the world were i can find my help other than the rooms of aa and with my fellow nutters who also have the same problem i have
for some unknown reason sitting around with a bunch of headcases actually works, we have a step program that once started will take the rest of my life to complete
as its always ongoing

but so long as i am around my fellow odd balls i am ok and in with a chance
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

A newer member of AA decided she didn't need to go to any more meetings.

It's a very nice story, and once we keep in mind it's first three words, “A newer member,” the story carries a lesson I agree with entirely. If meetings are available, going as often as we can until the steps are completed is always a good thing, as is getting involved in service.

If someone with several years of sobriety like Desi, wishes to say- “...i need medication for my nut case head and there is no where in the world were i can find my help other than the rooms of aa...”- that is his right and his experience. And if someone like me, also with several years of sobriety, wishes to say I find meetings not at all necessary in maintaining my sobriety and contentment, it's also my right and my experience to say so. No argument necessary, these are just two statements based on individual experience.

I often mention that when I first tried AA, like most newcomers I know of, I really didn't enjoy meetings. And the thought that these meetings X times per week were a 'life sentence,' was one of the excuses I made for not sticking with the program. This forum is available for reading by anyone searching the net, and thinking that maybe AA can help them, and I am scared that they may be discouraged as I was, if they leave with the impression that they will be committed to a certain amount of meetings per week for life. If you do the steps suggested, and have the spiritual experience they promise, you can maintain a wonderful serene and sober life, by simply maintaining your spirituality.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm

I am so grateful to God that as a direct result of those AA meetings face to face, then and now, that I haven't found it necessary to pick up a drink or any mind altering substance since my first AA meeting on 12/3/88.

Online and Forums weren't there when I got sober, for which I will be forever thankful to God. I have absolutely no doubt that if I had been online only or at forums only... on the internet ... I would have gone back out and gotten drunk in no time, as so many do.

Online is a nice addition to, but never ever a replacement for face to face AA group meetings.

After all, it was the informed group conscience of the General Service Conference in 2002 that voted and removed from the 4th edition Big Book the following sentence: “Fundamentally, though, the difference between an electronic meeting and the home group around the corner is only one of format”

The above experience, to remove that untrue sentence, took votes from 3/4 of all the AA Groups......World Wide.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby desypete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Brock wrote:
A newer member of AA decided she didn't need to go to any more meetings.

It's a very nice story, and once we keep in mind it's first three words, “A newer member,” the story carries a lesson I agree with entirely. If meetings are available, going as often as we can until the steps are completed is always a good thing, as is getting involved in service.

If someone with several years of sobriety like Desi, wishes to say- “...i need medication for my nut case head and there is no where in the world were i can find my help other than the rooms of aa...”- that is his right and his experience. And if someone like me, also with several years of sobriety, wishes to say I find meetings not at all necessary in maintaining my sobriety and contentment, it's also my right and my experience to say so. No argument necessary, these are just two statements based on individual experience.

I often mention that when I first tried AA, like most newcomers I know of, I really didn't enjoy meetings. And the thought that these meetings X times per week were a 'life sentence,' was one of the excuses I made for not sticking with the program. This forum is available for reading by anyone searching the net, and thinking that maybe AA can help them, and I am scared that they may be discouraged as I was, if they leave with the impression that they will be committed to a certain amount of meetings per week for life. If you do the steps suggested, and have the spiritual experience they promise, you can maintain a wonderful serene and sober life, by simply maintaining your spirituality.

for once brock i can not argue at all with your post here
its simple and explains the most important fact and that is, its our experience that we base what we believe in

for example there was a guy at the meeting last night who shared about how all his life he now comes to believe he was protected by his god
he shared that looking back at his record of the times he should of been sent to prison or lost his job or lost his family etc, for some reason the worse case never happend to him, he would get away with it and he puts that down to his firm belief that god had been protecting him ?

so that is his experience and he bases his belief solely on that
my experience is of the opposite i went to prison,i lost my family, i lost everything so i can not have the same belief he has as my experience is totally different

the only difference i can see is i didnt get away with much in my drunken life

now the reason i have come to believe in aa is a simple one
as i did go to aa in my early 20s and i stuck around for a few years and it did do me good, i did the steps and had a sponsor etc but after a while i just got fed up of aa and the meetings
i also had by now changed my job and was working more and more to make a good living for me and my family now i was sober and convinced i was an alcoholic

i didnt need aa anymore as my life was good
so i stopped going to aa, i lasted 15 years before i picked up that first drink again

what followed was 8 years of rapid decline
to the point i lost everything and still was clutching that booze as it was the very last thing i had in my life

until i had to let that go and once again come back to the doors of aa beaten

so for me its only my experince that has proved to me and convinced me that i will never be cured of this illness its always there just waiting and if i cut out what keeps me sober and go it my own way well i wonder just how long i could do it on my own ?

not that i am willing to have another go, i am very happy being sober and living in this world sober these days despite all its faults

but i base my belief in aa and the rooms and the people of aa without which i just can not do this on my own as i would go nuts again

i dont have this belief in a god for my direction i have the belief of the fellowship instead an it works for me

but like i stated this post off with the most important convincer for anyone is there own experience

so i dont argue my way is the only way or my way is the best way etc i have well out grown those resentment traps. which i would of once did
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Those who look closely soon have the key to this strange paradox. The A.A. member has to conform to the principles of recovery. His life actually depends upon obedience to spiritual principles. If he deviates too far, the penalty is sure and swift; he sickens and dies. At first he goes along because he must, but later he discovers a way of life he really wants to live. Moreover, he finds he cannot keep this priceless gift unless he gives it away. Neither he nor anybody else can survive unless he carries the A.A. message. The moment this Twelfth Step work forms a group, another discovery is made - that most individuals cannot recover unless there is a group. Realization dawns that he is but a small part of a great whole; that no personal sacrifice is too great for preservation of the Fellowship. He learns that the clamor of desires and ambitions within him must be silenced whenever these could damage the group. It becomes plain that the group must survive or the individual will not.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby mule » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Great story with a deceptively simple moral written in flame. I like. A simple message only after you hear it. How imaginative.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions