Is running,cycling or triathlon part of your recovery?

For recovery discussion

Is running,cycling or triathlon part of your recovery?

Postby Juhan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 am

I was just wondering if anybody else has found running, cycling or triathlon to be an important part of their recovery?
I am really curious based upon my own experience in this area, and as I am now doing a study on the topic.

Thanks in advance for sharing your story.
Juhan
Forums Newcomer

Re: Is running,cycling or triathlon part of your recovery?

Postby Brock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Welcome here Juhan.

Over my years here I have seen this topic come up a few times, it seems when some of us recover we regret the lack of exercise, and usual bad shape alcoholics find themselves in, and some go all out with a running or cycling hobby. I personally don't see this as part of the recovery process, but hobbies like these get us mixing with others usually in a non drinking environment, so from that standpoint I feel it's a good thing.

Here's a link to a thread where the topic was discussed at great length - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14795

Nice to have you here.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Juhan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm

thanks for the great insights Brock, and the lead to this other thread,
much appreciated,
K.
Juhan
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 am

Good morning Juhan :D we used to have a member that was really into his running and having been here a while i have indeed noticed some alcoholics taking up running / triathlons / biathlons, etc, in sobriety.
Personally i have a bad attitude - i ask myself "why walk / run when i can drive? =wink ) "
Perhaps look into the older posts - the member who used to share on his running posted under "Tosh".
Good luck and let us know how the running goes :D
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:17 am

People expand once they awaken, but bear in mind the key is keeping our end of the side clean and always have a good relationship with our HP all other stuff are by products.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby DaveMus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 am

Hello all, this is my first post although I have been enjoying this forum for a while. In a couple of weeks, I will celebrate five years of sobriety. I had the good fortune to be able to take advantage of a very good treatment center when I first got sober and from day one I made physical fitness a big part of my recovery. I may be a somewhat special case as I was diagnosed with MS many years ago when I was 27. (I am now 60!!) Since 2012 I have increased the number of miles I jog and bicycle per year. This year I am on track to surpass my last year's personal best of 2,020 miles for the year. I have lost over 50 pounds since 2012. I always carry a Nikon D90 with me and photograph wildlife along the way and I just published my first book of wildlife photos. Physical fitness is a huge part of staying healthy for me, both physically and mentally. It is of course, not the only factor in staying sober. I have used the steps and I have used AA meetings when I can as well. For me, staying focused on my work as an artist, staying physically, and above all, focusing on helping and supporting others are the three things that have been crucial to my recovery. Thanks for all of your posts, all the best to all!
DaveMus
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 am

I always enjoy posts which show the full life alcoholics lead after recovery, and that one was excellent. We have so many who come here, and I expect other similar forums, whose biggest fear is a boring life without alcohol, these sort of posts show the opposite is often true.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 pm

I work out alot but it is not "recovery." It can be prayer.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Juhan wrote:I was just wondering if anybody else has found running, cycling or triathlon to be an important part of their recovery?
I am really curious based upon my own experience in this area, and as I am now doing a study on the topic.

Thanks in advance for sharing your story.

I walk 5 miles a day around the Lake in our area, while listening to my downloaded Meditations and Joe & Charlie. Its not part of Alcoholics Anonymous but I do consider it an important part of my own recovery.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby mule » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Research has shown(too lazy to cite now but if called on will) that exercise, especially vigorous excercise affect one's health, mood, and outlook in a positive way. I take part in all three and find that the possibility of relapse is least when engaged in such activities.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions