relapse

For recovery discussion

relapse

Postby tormann1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 am

I fell off the wagon last night and feel miserable because I drove. It's back on the wagon as I realize I need to stop being such a loner. I felt like I was missing out on things and really am disgusted with taste of craft beer still in my mouth. I am powerless over alcohol.
Peace
tormann1
Forums Newcomer

Re: relapse

Postby desypete » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm

ok last night was last night you can not change what you did

so what are you going to do today ?
there is aa to contact via phone, and i am sure if your not to happy about going along to an aa meeting on your own that if you call them someone may call out and give you a lift to a meeting or agree to meet you there so your not on your own for the first time

you have to put the effort in for anything to work and sitting alone in isolation will do absolutely nothing except keep you alone and feeling down or that the world has ended etc

so there is a new way to be found its doesnt have to always be like it is but like i said you have to put that effort in and just see what happens
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Congratulations on getting right back up, and welcome to the forums here.

I felt like I was missing out on things myself, and used that as one of my excuses for dropping out of AA a number of times. When I finally believed those AA members who said do those steps, (which you hear in some meetings more than others), and gave it an honest shot, I found it's absolutely true what they say in 'into action' -
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

And that keeping in fit spiritual condition doesn’t mean becoming a monk or guru or whatever, just a normal person who stops trying to control the world.

Every time I have had a relapse, it seems when I went back somebody would say that's a good thing, it will teach you a lesson, I hated hearing that but it turned out to be true, it's the way we really get to accept the powerlessness.

I hope you find your way back to meetings, and that they are the type of meetings which concentrate on the solution. Not everyone likes him, but I like to advise alcoholics who want to hear how meetings should be run, to go to you tube and type in 'AA Chris R.' Just like me in and out for years until finally getting the 'right' message, two weeks later sitting on the tray of his truck crying tears of joy, because the obsession was gone.

I found a great life thanks to AA, I still kick myself for missing out, missing out on this life which I could have had years ago, if I had just done what the big book asks.

If you would like keep in touch with us here, and let us know how you are going, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby positrac » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:50 am

I relapsed 3 times before this idea of living without the crutch of alcohol took me down. So it is very easy to say this and that and as I recall in my hell on earth I just wanted to quit and not have to change! Oh and my "best" thinking got me in a jam with my addictions.

I am a loaner and I have been all of my life and so for me I have choices and I am sure you do as well. I ask you to think outside yourself and what you can really do to make your life better. The above posts do offer a lot of suggestions and it is you that can change because your best thinking got you jammed up drinking.

You have nothing to lose and so much to gain going AA and following the steps to recovery.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby tormann1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:38 am

I love being sober. It sure beats the melancholy and regret of the next day
Thanks for the support. I will watch that youtube video
tormann1
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 am

Hey man, throughout the book there is phrase thrown around "peculiar mental twist". Take the book and read Bills story, Jim car salesman story and Jeff the accountant story.

In Bill story, he realizes that he has to stop but then he is using is will power. Someone offers him a drink and he takes it.. Actually in this he doesn't even think.

And then the Jim story talks about, Jim being hit by that insane thought Suddenly, that he could have whiskey on a full stomach, if only he mixed it in milk.

And then our friend Jeff, after being sober for few months, hits the blanks spot. Not a cloud on the horizon. He thought, he could have just a couple..

These are the mental inconsistancies that goes through the alcoholic mind. We dont have the physical craving at this point. We are sober but that insane thought wins.

We clear our way of thinking by going through the reminder of the steps. Find a good sponsor who helps you understand all the parts of alcoholism. Not just the craving part and have the right cognition about powerlessness.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions