online aa forums

For recovery discussion

online aa forums

Postby kdub720 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

I know this topic has been locked. Yet I wanted to say how thankful I am for this website. I live in the woods and the closest AA meeting is once a week about an hour and a half away. I have been before, yet it takes such a mental and physicle toll on me to get there, I never make it. I have said it before, but I log on here and read the new posts and they always get me thinking about my own sobriety, What works, What is still challenging and so on. Then I rarely post, and it seems as if so many other post what is on my mind anyway. And having the ability to share and here everyone that wants to share helps me further my own understandings of my personal addiction. Just wanteed to say thanks to all who contribute and double thanks to all of you and your great words of encouragment and advice.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Re: online aa forums

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully we'll always provide a niche for alcoholics such as yourself, just as you share and offer that niche to the next newcomer in a similar situation.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 am

I am grateful for this site as it does provide insights that sometimes are overlooked in person. What I mean is reading I can reflect again and again and in person I might miss the details over a word or facial expression. I believe in person we can also provide a bond that is easier than online. I am gruff and yet in person I am not everyone's favorite and yet I am funny and humorous because I take life as lite as possible because my past has been a rough go.

Keep coming back as it works if we and that is the unity of the program.

Have a good day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 am

kdub720 wrote:I know this topic has been locked. Yet I wanted to say how thankful I am for this website. I live in the woods and the closest AA meeting is once a week about an hour and a half away. I have been before, yet it takes such a mental and physicle toll on me to get there, I never make it. I have said it before, but I log on here and read the new posts and they always get me thinking about my own sobriety, What works, What is still challenging and so on. Then I rarely post, and it seems as if so many other post what is on my mind anyway. And having the ability to share and here everyone that wants to share helps me further my own understandings of my personal addiction. Just wanteed to say thanks to all who contribute and double thanks to all of you and your great words of encouragment and advice.

Hi kdub,

I believe with all my heart that Forums such as this one and AA meetings online are an absolute God Send, without a doubt. For those who are physically disabled and/or housebound, websites like this one can actually save lives and help those like yourself, to live life on life's terms.

Most people, thank God, are not in that situation and can be there for the alcoholic who shows up asking for help at face to face AA Groups and AA meetings.

When AA members at our Face to Face AA home group are presented with questions from newcomers or others about Online, what we suggest is that there are some websites that are a wonderful extra tool to any AA member in recovery, but we do suggest that online is not a substitute or a replacement for Face to Face AA Group meetings...if one is able.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:03 am

I maybe offending people, but for me the clarity or you may call the right cognition of powerlness and un-manageability didn't come going to meetings. It came through listing to certain people and they weren't even going to meetings where I live. It was through the speaker tapes available online. I am appalled with the shares about powerless and un-manageability. We tell the new-comers dont drink no matter what and go to 90 in 90. The new comer tries this but the peculiar mental twist takes them out. Then they feel guilty that they couldn't stay stopped. They assume thats all there is. I am glad we have forums like this and all the sites that carry these talks. If people are desperate they could find the truth about alcoholism on their own. And then these sponsors, jeez where do they come up with all these ideas that the new comer should stay dry for 30 days and only then I will start working the steps with them. So tragic.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 am

avaneesh912 wrote:I maybe offending people, but for me the clarity or you may call the right cognition of powerlness and un-manageability didn't come going to meetings. It came through listing to certain people and they weren't even going to meetings where I live. It was through the speaker tapes available online. I am appalled with the shares about powerless and un-manageability. We tell the new-comers dont drink no matter what and go to 90 in 90. The new comer tries this but the peculiar mental twist takes them out. Then they feel guilty that they couldn't stay stopped. They assume thats all there is. I am glad we have forums like this and all the sites that carry these talks. If people are desperate they could find the truth about alcoholism on their own. And then these sponsors, jeez where do they come up with all these ideas that the new comer should stay dry for 30 days and only then I will start working the steps with them. So tragic.

The world has changed a lot since my wee days in AA and we had no online things. We had the literature, tapes of various topics and F2F meetings and I can say I actually did 90 & 90 and did it everyday no matter what because I saw it that I drank everyday I could and so I needed to make the same effort.

But it is nice to speak to people from various parts of the US and the world and perspectives and the whole nine yards. A lot more drama is in the rooms now than before is one thing I notice, but outside of that it is a meeting for my growth if nothing else.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

Hi Kdub! You might look into AA's "our meeting in print" http://www.aagrapevine.org/

E-aa even has a monthly drawing to get it FREE!
Every month e-AA offers a free gift subscription to the Grapevine. To enter the monthly drawing for a free one-year Grapevine subscription, send your name and address to: http://www.e-aa.org/form_gv.php

Don't forget e-aa also has email AND Live Chat venues available and in need of support!
Email meetings
http://www.e-aa.org/maillist.html

Chat Venue
http://www.e-aa.org/chat/eaa_chat_schedule_full.php

The Responsibility Pledge:
. I am responsible.
. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help,
. I want the hand of AA, always to be there.
. And for that, I am responsible.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:56 pm

positrac wrote:The world has changed a lot since my wee days in AA and we had no online things.

When I joined AA I had no idea sites like this were available, and in the meetings were I live nobody ever talks about them, except me now and then. By lucky fluke when Goggling AA I saw this and other sites, and since in my area at that time few if any members mentioned how important the steps were, people here pretty well set me straight, not sure I would have made it without the information I got.

It seems most oldsters of which I am one, will happily accept certain technological changes, (except when it means having to learn something all over), like some 'updates' cause. Cars have wonderful features we never knew, kitchen appliances, TV's big and smart, even push a button for bed settings, and we are happy with that. But maybe we are a bit less willing to accept these changes in AA, it worked a certain way for most of us, and it's hard to see the advantages technology offers now, far less what may happen in future.

I see one major drawback to online AA, we can't really help shy people get over their fear of mixing socially like face to face does, and a full life in AA means not being afraid to go anywhere. But I am very pleased kdub spoke of the help this site gives him, like I said it saved my neck as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:50 am

Hello kdub, and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Just so you know you are not alone. I know of a person up in the Alaska tundra that is staying sober with a cell phone and a big book. AA does have options for people that have trouble getting to a F2F meetings there is loners Anonymous, online meetings, there are meetings for the homebound or you actually start a meeting close to you if you like. I was first introduced to the Lamplighters, the first listed online AA group at the 2000 International AA Convention. They were holding a panel about online meeting. I think you might still be able to find that presentation on Yahoo.
Personally I prefer F2F meeting but I am lucky, I am surrounded by meetings 24/7 in the LA area.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Patsy© » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:49 am

Roberth wrote:Hello kdub, and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Just so you know you are not alone. I know of a person up in the Alaska tundra that is staying sober with a cell phone and a big book. AA does have options for people that have trouble getting to a F2F meetings there is loners Anonymous, online meetings, there are meetings for the homebound or you actually start a meeting close to you if you like. I was first introduced to the Lamplighters, the first listed online AA group at the 2000 International AA Convention. They were holding a panel about online meeting. I think you might still be able to find that presentation on Yahoo.
Personally I prefer F2F meeting but I am lucky, I am surrounded by meetings 24/7 in the LA area.

Robert, thank you for your message above, its so true. I too was at the "Big Meeting", 50,000 and more A.A. members, from 87 countries around the world were gathered at the Minneapolis Metrodome to participate in the world's largest A.A. meeting, marking the start of the 11th International Convention 2000 of Alcoholics Anonymous. That was an amazing AA Convention, I wish I had met you there!

The two memories that I will take with me forever is when the Serenity Prayer was said by those 50 thousand AA members at the Metrodome, just the sheer sound of it literally brought many to tears. The second is when the old timers shared....another tear filled time.

I too am surrounded by face to face AA meetings in the Boston Area....249 Towns and over 2,200 Meetings. We are very fortunate indeed.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions