I'm back...

For recovery discussion

I'm back...

Postby NewChapter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:36 pm

So I did so good.... didn't drink for a full week.... and that might not seem like a lot but to me it was everything... So proud of myself, felt good every morning I woke up defeating that beast but now am back in the hole after today... I tried soooo hard.... I feel so helpless... almost like I need someone to chat with so I don't fall off the wagon... wtf... this is ridiculous.... I am so sad.... Why can't I be normal and feel normal just being normal? I feelembarrest about going to groups incase i see someone that I know there. And even worst if I see someone that I work with.... any advice would be greatly appreciated.
NewChapter
Forums Enthusiast

Re: I'm back...

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Welcome back, and please don't feel like you failed, our big book goes to great lengths to tell us we will fail, because will power is not good enough to stop us picking up that first drink. And just like you did each day trying to fight the urge, what you called “defeating that beast.” But it's a powerful beast, thank heaven AA has 12 weapons, and usually by the time we hit him with #5, he is half dead and the fight gets easy, by #12 the beast is dead. Those weapons are actually called steps.

If we go to a meeting and see someone we know, they are there for the same reason, so it's really not a big deal. People respect the anonymity of each other in AA, you will do those steps and find a new life, millions have. Maybe in the meantime go to you tube and type in 'AA speakers,' you will see various names come up, some popular ones are Sandy B, or Bob D, my favorite is the firebrand Chris R. Have faith this program will work for you, maybe stay in touch here let us know how you are doing, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Why can't I be normal and feel normal just being normal?

Look for a meeting in a town close to you or in the next state Here: https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

If you see someone you know at the meeting it is likely because they need to be there too - you have something in common that you didn't know before!

Or try an online, live chat meeting here at e-aa (requires separate registration)
http://www.e-aa.org/chat/eaa_chat_schedule_full.php
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:28 am

Welcome back.

It isn't important about falling off, its just getting back to meetings and giving it another go that makes the difference.

Give it another go and another if need be. When the pain gets to much, its going to work.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am

NewChapter wrote:I tried soooo hard.... I feel so helpless... almost like I need someone to chat with so I don't fall off the wagon... wtf... this is ridiculous.... I am so sad.... Why can't I be normal and feel normal just being normal? I feelembarrest about going to groups incase i see someone that I know there. And even worst if I see someone that I work with.... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome back NewChapter, Congratz on your first week of sobriety. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I don’t know about anyone else but I am grateful that I don’t feel normal. My normal when I got to AA was half a bubble off center. I had to learn a whole new normal and I wasn’t very comfortable doing that.
Luckily I found people in AA that knew and felt the way I was feeling that I could talk to. They taught me a set of principles for living a new way of life by taking me through the steps of AA.
I will tell you what they told me when I first came into the rooms and that is you will never have to take another drink if you don’t want to and even if you want to you won’t have to if you are will to do a few simple things. And for over 25 years that has been true for me.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions