sobriety

For recovery discussion

sobriety

Postby dimaria » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:12 am

hello
I'm new to this and very excited that I found this site!

I was with a friend today who has not had a drink in 6 years. She is not an alcoholic, but her husband is in recovery and she quit drinking to help him. I've been in recovery for over a year now and today she said to me "Isn't it so much better on the other side?" I can't agree with her more. It's been a hard year but one I am most grateful for. I find that our steps and the way we work them are a way of life that I have never known. I wish everyone--alcoholic or not--could live their lives that way.

I thank God this site exists--I can't always get to meetings as often as I'd like, so it's great to know I can come here!
dimaria
Forums Newcomer

Re: sobriety

Postby Brock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:44 am

Welcome here to e-AA dimaria.

Sorry it took a while for your first post to appear, but only the first post is delayed, all others will go straight up.

Your thoughts on the steps being a way of life we have never known is something I agree with entirely, it is the message I hope every newcomer gets to understand.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 am

Welcome and great news about your sobriety time. I will say that recovery is a good thing and like the rest of life as we grow we will have periods of time that do challenge us. What I will say from my experience is I always remember my last drink and the pain it caused me because had I not had such a terrible last drinking experience I might not be here.

I am glad I can't drink because it does add a lot of value to my life too me and my family! So keep up the smiles and allow your presence to mentor via your actions as others may want what you have and that includes those "normal people"as they struggle with life as we do.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 am

dimaria wrote: I find that our steps and the way we work them are a way of life that I have never known. I wish everyone--alcoholic or not--could live their lives that way.

Oh, yes. I couldn't agree more.

Welcome to the group, Dimaria.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 am

A lot of people do naturally , I just didn’t take time to notice. I was always surrounded by people that were affected by my alcoholism….hence the need for the Alanon Family Groups
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions