Is it all in my head?

For recovery discussion

Is it all in my head?

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:52 am

God direct my thinking today so that it be divorced of self pity, dishonesty, self-will, self-seeking and fear. God inspire my thinking, decisions and intuitions. Help me to relax and take it easy. Free me from doubt and indecision. Guide me through this day and show me my next step. God give me what I need to take care of any problems. I ask all these things that I may be of maximum service to you and my fellow man. AMEN

BB
(p. 86)

As I was saying the morning prayer this morning I began to ponder how much my problems are magnified by the "itty bitty shi@&* committee" in my head. Man alive... I can spiral downward into the depths of misery so fast it makes my head spin. I am very good at it too!!! In fact, I just last night let anger and frustration over things I can't control get the best of me. I don't like to go to that place!!

Today I know that I can control my thoughts....well...actually, I have learned that sometimes I am not responsible for the first thought that pops into my head. But I AMMMM responsible for the next one. I can force the good thoughts to come when I make an effort.

God, direct my thinking!!!

Cheers!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Is it all in my head?

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 am

Eckhart Tolle in his books talks about "Voice in the head", the acute internal dialog. We become aware of it. We then realize we are beyond mind. He calls it the being.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 am

In the working of the 3rd step:

Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. Most Good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom.

So what do we do when we go to a movie or drama, watch it and once the drama is over, we leave. The circus that goes on in-between the ears, I need to bring into practice to observe it and let it go. Most of the time.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks for the topic Cristy.

This committee in the head business, is to me one of the hardest things to overcome, but I have made progress with it, and found it's great when I can live without constant thinking. I don't usually like quoting sections from his books, but like avaneesh said Tolle has some of the best answers I have found on this subject, I read this part just yesterday, so it's easy to find and quote -
FALLING BELOW AND RISING ABOVE THOUGHT

When   you   are   very   tired,   you   may   become   more   peaceful,   more relaxed than in your usual state. this is because thinking is subsiding, and so you can't remember your mind­made problematic self anymore. You are moving   toward   sleep.   When   you   drink   alcohol   or   take   certain   drugs (provided they don't trigger your pain­body), you may also feel more relaxed, more carefree, and perhaps more alive a for a while. You may start singing and dancing, which since ancient times are expressions of the joy of life. Because you are less burdened by your mind, you can glimpse the joy of Being. Perhaps this is the reason alcohol is also called “spirit.” But there is a high price to pay: unconsciousness. Instead of rising above thought, you have fallen below it. A few more drinks, and you will have regressed to the vegetable realm. Space consciousness has little to do with being “spaced out.” Both states are beyond thought. This they have in common. The fundamental difference, however, is that in the former, you rise above thought; in the latter, you fall below it. One is the next step in the evolution of human consciousness, the other a regression to a stage we left behind eons ago.

Why I don't like quoting parts, is that without reading the whole book, (this is from 'A New Earth'), I believe it may look to some people like a lot of mumbo jumbo space age nonsense, and it took me a couple of reads and pondering on the words to start grasping it. All the spiritual books which speak about contemplative prayer and so on, are I think leading us in the same direction, trying to get us out of over thinking everything. I believe it's the answer to a really happy stress free life, (a road the 12 steps started us nicely on), maybe not easy to do at first, but then good things are seldom easy.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am

YES!!

Thanks Aveneesh and Brock!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:21 am

one of the things i have noticed about me these days compared to my early few years, is just how simple i try to keep things in my life

the more simple i keep things the more peace i enjoy
if there is a problem comes along i have to decide is there some way i can do something about the problem ? if yes then i must do what needs to be done or suffer from the ill at ease and worry if i dont

if there is nothing i can do about a problem then i must must must accept i can not do anything and let it go when i accept it i can let it go as i know in my heart there is nothing i can do and i can find peace

but its taken many years of trying to control anything that came my way and suffering the downs

they say pain is a good teacher and believe me i have fought this growth all the way,

today i really do keep everything simple in my day

i dont watch news, i dont read news papers as i gave them up years ago as i found i would want to change whatever was going on in the world, my opinion everyone had to suffer from who was in ear shot
we have a show over here called the Jeremy Kyle show and i used to watch it every day and sit infront of the tv moaning about the people who are on there, i would get really angry at times at the show and go off on my high horse time and time again

such a waste of my time and a day ? by cutting that one thing out of my life and instead going to do something that creates a bit of happiness instead well it was just how i had to start this journey of change

keep it simple is one of the wisest things i know of today, i dont need to read experts explanations anymore or find out the how or the why of it
i just have to live it in my actions one day at a time and in hundreds and hundreds of days i have learned new ways

why waste a single moment of a day in pain or being hurt and angry etc its just not worth it
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby kdub720 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

This is an awesome topic, the quotes are heavy hitters, this made me think all morning and reflect on the little things we say to ourselves that put us "below thought." I loved how each of the two quotes dealt in a way with self being and self thought. Giving all your problems to God in your life takes away that worry of the things we can not control. In the past I have had a rough time not thinking about things I can not fix. As dealing with brain injury it is hard to know what I am over thinking or what is really serious. It is so tiring trying to solve things and worry. I appreciated these posts today as always you all make me think and that is great thanks.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions