Pain Medication

For recovery discussion

Re: Pain Medication

Postby Soberguy27 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Well, I thonk eberyone os different. Some are more prone to abuse pain meds where others are not. There is an old sayi g that goes
"Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional". One thing about being sober ( for me over 27 years now) we learnto take meds as prescri ed. If you habe any doubts then have someone hold them for you like a wife or husband or someone you trust. It will help you to be accountable for yoir med taking.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Excellent advice. Thanks Sober.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:30 pm

The 2-year Mark is commonly given as a checkpoint of long-term sobriety.

Thanks Ryan for the explanation. You didn't need to though but thanks anyway.
You know. ... when I stopped drinking initially on 1 September 2015 we weren't as newcomers in my 'then home group ' allowed to share or really talk /disagree with the person who was 'teaching ' us. When we did we heard 'nobody is interested in what you have to say. Shut up and listen. You have nothing what we want '. It got to the point that I started asking exactly how long a person have to be sober for to actually qualify as 'sober ' or when does a person actually move 'out of ' the 'newcomer ' category. There was also much reference made to being 'a REAL alcoholic ' which made me wonder how on earth I'm supposed to 'prove ' that I'm in fact an alcoholic. That caused quite a bit of damage and at around 6 months sober most of our members found other groups. When I responded to a verbal share in a meeting at around 8 months sober I was so emotional I burst out into tears. It was absolutely incredible to actually be able to SAY something in a meeting that I could relate to. Unfortunately today I still battle a bit with sharing verbally but that's just as a matter of interest.

Anyways my questions to you regarding the 2 year period is. ... 1. Where in the BB does it say something like that? , 2. Does it give a particular time period to 'qualify ' as sober or recovered in any AA literature since I vaguely remember Bill W relapsing decently a couple of times and 3. I stopped drinking officially on 1 September 2015. At 2 and a half months or somewhere there I had an evening of insanity and had some whisky. Funny thing is I was a wine drinker and never touched whisky. I couldn't. Before I was with child with my now 20 year old I drank Only whisky and from the minute I was pregnant couldn't stand the thought.or smell of whisky never mind touch the stuff. That was just interesting though. ... anyways, so that 1 night I had a few shots - neat mind you - and never again after. So to me that wasn't really a relapse. It was a slip. Perhaps a God given because for some reason I didn't feel guilty about it and when that whisky bottle touched my lips that night it just felt as if it was exactly what should have happened. So my thoughts are that I had to experience that so that I could possibly understand 'slippers ' or relapser?
I changed my sobriety date from 1 September 2015 to 22 November 2015. I have no idea on which date the slip happened but I like 22 November so I chose that date.
So looking at this share. Would you say I'm over the 2 year mark and can now be a proud recovered REAL alcoholic or am I still lacking 2 months?
Regards Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:21 am

Since ryan isn't responding;

You're nearly two years sober from alcohol. Congratulations! =biggrin
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 am

Anyways my questions to you regarding the 2 year period is. ...

1. Where in the BB does it say something like that?

The Big Book doesn't say anything about 2 years. In May 1938, when Bill W. began work on the first draft of what is now the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, he had been sober about three and a half years, with the first 40 alcoholics. By the time it was published in 1939, there were 100 alcoholics who contributed in one way or another to the writing of Big Book and Bill W. had about 4 years sober.

2. Does it give a particular time period to 'qualify ' as sober or recovered in any AA literature since I vaguely remember Bill W relapsing decently a couple of times.

No, there is no time period to qualify as sober, however "Recovered" means, that one has been through and worked the 12 steps in their own life. Long Term Sobriety here, is anyone sober longer than 10 or more years. However, I believe that is different with each AA group. And AA has no official stance one way or the other.
In the Big Book: "We, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have Recovered is the main purpose of this book."

Bill Wilson's sobriety date is December 11, 1934, and he never took another drink in his life. There was a book by Susan Cheevers that made it sound like he took a drink on his death bed, however that is NOT true. It is also said that Bill W. asked for a drink of alcohol and wasn't given one... Bill W. was at end stage Emphysema, and with the lack of oxygen, which often brings delusions and complete inability to "Think" or make decisions, due to his mental status which was very impaired,... he may have, but he never received it.

3. I stopped drinking officially on 1 September 2015. At 2 and a half months or somewhere there I had an evening of insanity and had some whisky.

Changing ones sobriety date after picking up a drink, means that the new date is the new sobriety date.

It was shared with me when I was 5 years sober that I had just reached the point of beginning to learn about Sobriety, Recovery, and Living life on life's terms. And TIME in AA or TIME sober, in reality, doesn't mean much, its what we DO with that time that counts.
I know AA members who are 25 years sober (here in Boston, that is considered an AA member with long term sobriety or an Old Timer)..... and even though they may have 25 years, some have no recovery at all, they are Dry. I also know AA members who have 6 months sober, they have worked, applied and are practicing the 12 steps in their own life and reaching out to help newcomers, by passing on what was passed to them. They have Powerful Recovery to pass on.

Congratulations on a year and 10 months sober, Way To Go!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks Patsy :D I absolutely loved your share up to

It was shared with me when I was 5 years sober that I had just reached the point of beginning to learn about Sobriety, Recovery, and Living life on life's terms.

when my thoughts immediately turned "aaahhhh mann!!!!!! now ya gotta ruin that beautiful post!

then I read And TIME in AA or TIME sober, in reality, doesn't mean much, its what we DO with that time that counts.

realizing that you actually understand and agree that whatever they told you about the 5 year sober period was a buncha wancha ..... :D

I'll obviously collect my 2 year chip. Hopefully in Durban cause I got my 1 year chip there when we were on holiday last December and heck that chip LOOKS LIKE a REAL coin! Its not the plastic imitations we get here on my side :D My motto though - is that everyday without alcohol is a good day. - a "win day" for that particular alcoholic.

Thanks for response. :D

Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 am

bump
Last edited by positrac on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:31 am

Hi Noel,

Thanks Patsy I absolutely loved your share up to

It was shared with me when I was 5 years sober that I had just reached the point of beginning to learn about Sobriety, Recovery, and Living life on life's terms.

Actually Noel, that is the truth. I didn’t know what I didn’t know… but I had some wonderful AA members who took the time to share with me and show me with their actions, how much more I had to learn. I was amazed that there is so much to learn in and about AA, Recovery, the 3 Legacies and so much more.... then to move forward from there.

when my thoughts immediately turned "aaahhhh mann!!!!!! now ya gotta ruin that beautiful post!

Nope, you didn’t ruin anything, its always great to “Remember When”… and I do whenever I am sharing with another alcoholic. 

then I read And TIME in AA or TIME sober, in reality, doesn't mean much, its what we DO with that time that counts.

realizing that you actually understand and agree that whatever they told you about the 5 year sober period was a buncha wancha .....

I not only agree with what they shared with me, but I can share with you that it’s the truth. It took hindsight to see what it is that I hadn’t experienced "yet" back then ….….but I have the experience now and I can share with you, that it is not a bunch of wancha. Many AA members get to learn, understand and know that when the time comes.

I'll obviously collect my 2 year chip. Hopefully in Durban cause I got my 1 year chip there when we were on holiday last December and heck that chip LOOKS LIKE a REAL coin! Its not the plastic imitations we get here on my side My motto though - is that everyday without alcohol is a good day. - a "win day" for that particular alcoholic.

Here in Boston, the one year medallion is metal…..up until then they are all plastic. I hear you, everyday without alcohol is a “win day”…. And sometimes its every hour without alcohol… and its a great hour. 

Thank you for your response also Noel,

Patsy
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 am

Can we keep in mind the large heading - Re: Pain Medication-a couple of folks are diverting it into a discussion on length of sobriety. Thanks.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby clouds » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:51 am

I'm very wary of taking anything in liquid, pharmeceutical, or tablets because I know my propensity to medicate pain in whatever form it comes; physical, psycological, spiritual, mental.
So I'm super vigilent and rarely have had to take medications since I got sober in AA.
There was a time in sobriety when I faced what is the worst thing a mother could have to face and was, of course, offered a hospital stay along with antidepressents, antianxiety medication to 'get me through' it by a doctor.

I explained to the good doctor my alcoholism and added that I needed to use the 12 step spiritual program to get me through it.
He agreed and said that if I did need anything to call any time.
I made it through 20 years of grief and depressions and anxieties using AA.
For me, I'm glad I did, there was nothing else really for it, meds are a temporary fix for a real problem.
In my experince there are no shortcuts, or easier softer ways.
Its 'life on life's terms', as they sometimes say, and that's for me, a life in the sunlight of the Spirit.

Mind you I had a severe back injury about 10 years ago now and had no choice as I woke up in a hospital bed on morphine drip for a week. Very not fun.
As soon as I got home I threw out the muscle relaxents and pain killers they gave me. Mostly lying down, walking very slowly and eating meals standing up for a few months was a better choice for me than getting hooked on those things. My husband was able to do most of the house work, cooking and grocery shopping, so for me I had the luxury ( if we call that much pain a luxury ) of just patiently getting through it by living a slow life in accord with God's speed and no medications.

I speak only and solely about myself on the topic. This was my experience and how I choose to cope with years of sober life without turning to something to solve problems and pain like I did when I drank all the time.

I was just 24 when I went to my first AA meeting and at 24 its hard to know what it will be like growing old sober. I'd say not to worry because if we can practice the principles of AA from the start, there is a much better chance of practicing them in all the years to come.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 am

I've been taking the pain medication as prescribed by the doctor. I've never had a pill problem, and I'm not tempted to abuse them or anything, I'm just curious what is the official AA position on the subject?

You are good. After the extraction, ensure you taper off the medication. If you are still continuing, then you may have to seek other fellowships help. Good luck with your condition.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby mule » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Cristy99 wrote:Welcome Matt!!

I never had a pill problem either. However, if I am in a position to have to take a controlled substance such as pain meds, I like them. I like them a lot. I LIKE THEM TOO MUCH!!!!! But I have seen AA members try to go without proper medicine when they are in extreme pain like you....abscesses tooth, after surgery, etc. it's not pretty. And I think AAs and drug addicts are too hard on themselves at times in this area.

My solution is to tell someone I am taking the pills. Ask them to hold me accountable. If it's not a secret, I'm less likely to abuse the pills. I am lucky. I have the most supportive husband in the world!! He has taken the time to learn about alcoholism and AA. I ask him to hold me accountable and he does so in a very nonjudgmental way. If you don't have a supportive partner, ask an AA friend or your sponsor. Again, I think keeping it a secret is a path to avoid. :wink:

Hugs!!

I like them too! But with a chronic pain condition I have found a way to keep from abusing and your suggestions are part of that! Thanks! And this is super important:
Again, I think keeping it a secret is a path to avoid.

Our secrets keep us sick no matter what the secret is!

One thing... I have found that pain meds can TRICK YOU into thinking your pain is worse than it is. It is like my alcoholism "more is better" and "just one more" come to mind. It is a good exercise to do a mini inventory BEFORE you ingest the meds. I stick to less than what they say a day... with chronic pain that means 2 a day max for me. And I like to ask myself "When was the last time I took one" even if it has been days, I still have to ask myself "When did I take regular Tylenol and how well is it working?" + "What do I still have to do today?" Perhaps I have over worked myself and rest is in order instead of chemicals. Also, "Am I just angry or is it the pain that is making me angry?" Maybe I need a spiritual lift and not a chemical one.

Remember to get rid of them (flush or give to sponsor) after you are no longer in need of them. No good can come of holding them in the medicine cabinet. If you ever need them again, a doc will get them for you.

Good luck, God's Speed and Good Love!

To those who advise to follow her MD's orders, right on. For those suggesting anything else unless you are an MD and specifically her MD your medical advice could be counterproductive and even dangerous. Would you advise a diabetic when to take her insulin? When no expert, advice can be a dangerous thing.
mule
Forums Enthusiast

Postby bbqking » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am

Matt.F wrote:Hello I just wanted to post here I have a question. I have an abscessed wisdom tooth and I was prescribed antibiotics and pain medication to take until they can extract the tooth next week. I've been taking the pain medication as prescribed by the doctor. I've never had a pill problem, and I'm not tempted to abuse them or anything, I'm just curious what is the official AA position on the subject?

If you're taking them for a legitimate purpose and doing so as prescribed and don't feel it's in any way a threat to your sobriety, who cares what the AA position is? It's irrelevant, just like anyone else's opinion, it's between you and your doctor.

Know thyself and act accordingly.
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions