Pain Medication

For recovery discussion

Re: Pain Medication

Postby Noels » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Pray tell. ... 'how on this beautiful Earth of ours. ..... do you associate pills with vodka? I have been talking quite a bit of painkillers for a while and I ALWAYS associate those painkillers with water and coffee. Possibly because That's what I take them with? This is one of the few times that I would still 'pound on the table and shout bullcrap ' as I read in another thread.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby RyanjSp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Bud please settle down I only tell my own experience if you're able to do that then great but my experience still counts for something peace be with you
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RyanjSp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:21 pm

PS love you brother
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:48 am

Matt.F wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice! I told my sponsor about it. I've only taken two, I had pain one day and I took one and it alleviated the pain, I took another one the next day because of pain in my tooth, but I haven't had any pain since then.

Hi Matt, I am glad that you took this to your sponsor, because the truth is that we are only as sick as our secrets. AA doesn't have an official position on drugs because drugs are an outside issue. Having said that, AA members can help, like your sponsor did. There are many in AA who have other addictions and in private will be happy to share with you what their own experience, strength and hope is. The best one to answer any and all questions about your pain medication is your Doctor......the best one to ask if that pain medication can take you back to a drink, is your Sponsor or another member of Alcoholics Anonymous who has:

Things I Must Earn and is working this simple program of Recovery and passing it on.

I work in the Medical Field and there are still to this day many who have a Medical Degree and a License to practice Medicine who have no clue about alcoholics and how pain medication will affect them and their sobriety.

I sometimes hear it shared that sponsors are only there to take one through the 12 steps of recovery, which is vital. They are also there to help newcomers by answering their questions, sharing their own ES&H....and to help them stay on the path of recovery and avoid the pitfalls.

I will be forever grateful that when I was a newcomer, my sponsor shared with me that any Mind Altering Substance is dangerous for any recovering alcoholic. It takes time and honesty to learn that switching addictions is one of things that all people with substance abuse issues have to deal with.... hopefully at the beginning of their sobriety journey so that they are informed and have the information needed to avoid completely anything that can take them right back to that first drink or start a new addiction which will bring them right back to a drink.

When newcomers first get to AA, what they are usually looking for is a way TO FEEL BETTER. Until they have taken several suggestions that will bring them into recovery to begin doing the inside work.... they will often feel anxious, irritable and discontent and without even recognizing it they will begin looking for and switching to other things to try to make themselves FEEL BETTER.

Newcomers and even those with time in AA... without even noticing why..... will begin over eating, start gambling, begin using drugs, begin shopping, will be on the internet all day and night, or will begin spending money like it grows on trees......all in an effort to alter their mind and to FEEL BETTER. It is strongly suggested to stay out of relationships for the first year and there is a good reason for that, it takes the focus completely off recovery.... and wanting to change how we feel and/or feel better by taking a hostage, is not A RELATIONSHIP! lol

If the newcomer belongs to an AA home group and/or has a good Sponsor, hopefully there will be some good AA members who will take them aside and inform them of the dangers that come with Mind Altering Substances, called... "Switching Addictions"

We have no defense against the First Drink...or the First Mind Altering Substance.....So Anything that we use to try to make ourselves Feel Better (Anything)....has the potential to bring us right back to that first drink.

When I share this, sometimes someone will say "Well, coffee is a mind altering substance too".......to which I respond, I have never sat down and drank 15 pots of coffee! lol
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby RyanjSp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 am

I know I'm going to get hammered on this but people with time of sobriety with a doorknob is God end up going down some dark paths Bill W himself went down some strange paths the 12 Steps come straight from the beatatudes, Jesus's Sermon on the Mount I for one would be interested to observe how exactly one goes about getting his higher Powers will for his life from a doorknob the example Bill intended was you do this stuff and you get results no matter what you believe in Jesus also said blessed are those who do and not those that just here only
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RyanjSp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 am

If you can take pain pills then great but let's not water down the facts we are addicts and a chemical that changes are feelings we have an insane urge to pursue. The terrible truth is that we have feelings honestly from the terrible world we have been brought in to and lived in
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:44 am

[i]So Anything that we use to try to make ourselves Feel Better (Anything)..
/i

Funny. ... in the early hours of this morning I had a thought relating to anti depressants - which probably 'fall under ' 'mind altering substances as well. ...

It was as if someone asked me what I thought of using antidepressants. My answer was ...

Taking an antidepressant means there is still hope whereas refusing an antidepressant due to 'stigma or fear ' and ending up committing suicide is final.

Strangely it seems as if all the natural human 'difficulties and struggles' seem to be regarded as 'weakness '. In the meantime it's perfectly normal to go through tough times.

My one twin brother committed suicide many years ago with his newly born baby lying right next to him on the bed. He shot half his face off. Just before new years. ..

Up to today I still wish he rather approached one of us for help with whatever he was struggling with. He was drunk when it happened.

I'd rather support a person who is honest about using or needing a mind altering substance and show willingness to try the solution and care they need than project my authority or personal view onto that person.

Whilst there is life there is hope. Mind altering substance or not. ...... as I said this morning, whilst we are arguing about tables, chairs, cutlery and crockery people are dying out here. And those who isn't dead yet is getting to the point wishing they were. ..
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 am

Noels wrote:[i]So Anything that we use to try to make ourselves Feel Better (Anything)..

Please, when quoting me, use the entire statement.

We have no defense against the First Drink...or the First Mind Altering Substance.....So Anything that we use to try to make ourselves Feel Better (Anything)....has the potential to bring us right back to that first drink.

Pray tell. ... 'how on this beautiful Earth of ours. ..... do you associate pills with vodka?

I stand by my statement above and to be upfront. I would strongly suggest using the computer a lot less and attending face to face AA meetings a lot more, where learning about how pills and vodka can have much in common for any alcoholic with untreated alcoholism.

I have no opinion on your or anyone else's antidepressant use.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:26 pm

And pray tell how you know exactly how many face to face meetings I have or have not attended? =wink
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:11 pm

We are going a little sideways on this topic folks, let's try to keep it on point, thanks.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:09 pm

And pray tell how you know exactly how many face to face meetings I have or have not attended? =wink

Call it an educated guess! :lol:
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:07 pm

:D perhaps the 'education ' failed you :D have an awesome day despite yourself tho :D
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Noels wrote::D perhaps the 'education ' failed you :D have an awesome day despite yourself tho :D
Noels

Its obvious that you are not aware of what education is....but I will have an awesome day, I always do! :lol:
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby RyanjSp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 am

Just an observation no harm intended but it seems like things have to go a little sideways for anything at all to happen around here.
Noels, to clarify my position I have a complicated past with things like outside issues for one thing during years of sobriety I was taken to the hospital with severe anxiety attacks they put me on a number of antidepressants when all it turned out to be was I was drinking too many Diet Cokes I was sensitive to caffeine I'm still sensitive to caffeine and I still have anxiety attacks but I don't need the drugs for it if you go to a doctor they give you drugs that's just the way it works.
On another page during years of sobriety I used alcoholic mouthwash with impunity then it even think about it when I resumed active alcoholism and ended up in the gutter mouthwash was basically cheap vodka that you can buy on Sunday now I would have absolutely no business daring to mess with the stuff whether I used it as intended or not.
To go even further on how outside issues affect our recovery from alcoholism studies show that recovering alcoholics who quit smoking have 80% chance of staying sober past the 2-year mark.
The 2-year Mark is commonly given as a checkpoint of long-term sobriety.
I acknowledge that fact even as my late first sponsor called a business meeting with only a couple of people and voted our Clubhouse non-smoking talk about one heck of a resentment I could write a book on that resentment but I loved my sponsor and to this day even after his passing people respect that rule actually one of our senior members will wait till the meeting is officially closed and light up a cigarette
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RyanjSp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am

And our personal lives if something is poking at our consciousness every waking hour of the day it's probably something we need to inventory so how about inventorying things with our group consciousness
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions