Pain Medication

For recovery discussion

Pain Medication

Postby Matt.F » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:30 am

Hello I just wanted to post here I have a question. I have an abscessed wisdom tooth and I was prescribed antibiotics and pain medication to take until they can extract the tooth next week. I've been taking the pain medication as prescribed by the doctor. I've never had a pill problem, and I'm not tempted to abuse them or anything, I'm just curious what is the official AA position on the subject?
Matt.F
Forums Newcomer

Re: Pain Medication

Postby Mike O » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:02 am

I'm not sure if there is an official policy or not, though I don't see why there would be. If these have been prescribed for pain relief, take them for pain relief. Don't worry about it.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 am

Welcome here Matt. There is a leaflet on it here -
https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_aa ... edDrug.pdf

I would agree with Mike and the leaflet will confirm, take it as prescribed. Best of luck with the extraction and nice to see you here, come back anytime.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Cristy99 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:33 am

Welcome Matt!!

I never had a pill problem either. However, if I am in a position to have to take a controlled substance such as pain meds, I like them. I like them a lot. I LIKE THEM TOO MUCH!!!!! But I have seen AA members try to go without proper medicine when they are in extreme pain like you....abscesses tooth, after surgery, etc. it's not pretty. And I think AAs and drug addicts are too hard on themselves at times in this area.

My solution is to tell someone I am taking the pills. Ask them to hold me accountable. If it's not a secret, I'm less likely to abuse the pills. I am lucky. I have the most supportive husband in the world!! He has taken the time to learn about alcoholism and AA. I ask him to hold me accountable and he does so in a very nonjudgmental way. If you don't have a supportive partner, ask an AA friend or your sponsor. Again, I think keeping it a secret is a path to avoid. :wink:

Hugs!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 am

:lol: thanks Christy for a good laugh :lol:
Hi Mike and welcome to e-aa :D we've had this discussion plenty times before and the general consensus in those discussions was that AA did not have an opinion since its not alcohol related.
Common sense tells me to take the prescribed medication as prescribed if necessary. I'm actually sitting with an abscess forming myself right now as a matter of interest and it's a bugger.
All the best with that tooth!
Regards Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:28 am

Noels wrote:Hi Mike and welcome to e-aa :D ...

Thanks, but I've been around a while =biggrin
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Cristy99 wrote:Welcome Matt!!

I never had a pill problem either. However, if I am in a position to have to take a controlled substance such as pain meds, I like them. I like them a lot. I LIKE THEM TOO MUCH!!!!! But I have seen AA members try to go without proper medicine when they are in extreme pain like you....abscesses tooth, after surgery, etc. it's not pretty. And I think AAs and drug addicts are too hard on themselves at times in this area.

My solution is to tell someone I am taking the pills. Ask them to hold me accountable. If it's not a secret, I'm less likely to abuse the pills. I am lucky. I have the most supportive husband in the world!! He has taken the time to learn about alcoholism and AA. I ask him to hold me accountable and he does so in a very nonjudgmental way. If you don't have a supportive partner, ask an AA friend or your sponsor. Again, I think keeping it a secret is a path to avoid. :wink:

Hugs!!

I like them too! But with a chronic pain condition I have found a way to keep from abusing and your suggestions are part of that! Thanks! And this is super important:
Again, I think keeping it a secret is a path to avoid.

Our secrets keep us sick no matter what the secret is!

One thing... I have found that pain meds can TRICK YOU into thinking your pain is worse than it is. It is like my alcoholism "more is better" and "just one more" come to mind. It is a good exercise to do a mini inventory BEFORE you ingest the meds. I stick to less than what they say a day... with chronic pain that means 2 a day max for me. And I like to ask myself "When was the last time I took one" even if it has been days, I still have to ask myself "When did I take regular Tylenol and how well is it working?" + "What do I still have to do today?" Perhaps I have over worked myself and rest is in order instead of chemicals. Also, "Am I just angry or is it the pain that is making me angry?" Maybe I need a spiritual lift and not a chemical one.

Remember to get rid of them (flush or give to sponsor) after you are no longer in need of them. No good can come of holding them in the medicine cabinet. If you ever need them again, a doc will get them for you.

Good luck, God's Speed and Good Love!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Mike O wrote:
Noels wrote:Hi Mike and welcome to e-aa :D ...

Thanks, but I've been around a while =biggrin

:D sorry.... :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm

This is another great discussion. It is wild how we have tendencies for abusing certain sussbstances. I have a problem with alcohol, not with pain killers. I have been injured many times and have been put on all sorts of pain killers. I rarely finish my perscriptions, I do not know why I have an overwhelming draw to alcohol and not other drugs. THis is a big concept for me. What is the draw or the mystic that draws me to abuse it. Great topic today.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Cristy99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Paige!!

XOX
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Matt.F » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice! I told my sponsor about it. I've only taken two, I had pain one day and I took one and it alleviated the pain, I took another one the next day because of pain in my tooth, but I haven't had any pain since then.
Matt.F
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Great, thanks for letting us know.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby desypete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 pm

the official position of aa over drugs is there is no position as aa is not at all connected with drugs there is another fellowship that deals with drugs and is for those who have drug issues
aa is a self help organisation that deals with alcoholics and alcoholism, its for alcoholics run by alcoholics. if anyone has a problem with alcohol there very much welcome to attend aa

that is more or less the offical stance aa has

on a personal note i would say that if you see a dr and they prescribe medication then you take it, as the drs know you and your condition far better than any of us in aa would know
having said that for myself when i lost my son i seen the drs as i was so down and i took there tests and they told me i scored very high so i was suffering depression
they wanted to give me there pills and i refused on the ground i dont wish to take any mind altering substances and that was fine
we looked at other types of help i could use instead like i went to bereavement meetings for parents and of course i had my aa meetings and my friends there to lean on so that is what i did
the hardest part of it all was finding the effort needed to push myself to do things as i just wanted to curl up in a ball and die, i never wanted to drink but i never wanted to do anything other than try to sleep as when i would be asleep i was out of my pain i was in

this for me is where my 12th step really helped me to get back on my feet in this world and all i can say is for me it really does work but i have had to bloody well work for it when my head tells me not to

but like i said we are not drs in aa we can only share our own personal experiences
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

I am not qualified to diagnose or treat medical problems which include mental illness. As a fellowship we deal with alcoholism and leave the rest to the professionals. As far as taking meds I am completely honest with my Doctors and only take as prescribed.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby RyanjSp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Not telling you what to do but all I could say is the pills I got after having a few teeth pulled on a couple occasions were like alcohol in pill form.
As a matter of fact a number of years ago after being sober for quite some time after having teeth pulled I went seamlessly from the pills to drinking vodka and ended up with the second highest BAC in Arkansas State history.
My shacked up girlfriend and my preacher were told that if I woke up I'd be a vegetable but I probably wouldn't wake up.
My preacher and my boss laid hands and prayed over me and I was wide awake four hours later.
Later I was told that the scan showed massive brain damage and after two days in critical care my BAC was still above lethal thresholds.
Don't take drugs lightly if you are a recovering alcoholic.
Always remember that the subtilty of this disease is incredible. That being said I remember what Bill said in the big book either God has removed our problem or he has not
Last edited by RyanjSp on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions