Things people say

For recovery discussion

Things people say

Postby KathyAnne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:54 am

When I hear old timers say 'the longer your around the road gets narrower' please can someone tell me what it means.
I haven't a clue and when I hear it, it makes me fearful for some reason.
Thankyou
KathyAnne
Forums Contributor

Re: Things people say

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:44 am

The longer we are around, the stronger the connection to God/HP resulting in life being a lot simpler...don't be afraid, it's a good thing - it's not that your life becomes narrower but IF you follow the path contained in the steps - which is just plain wisdom - (AA appropriates it, it doesn't own it) - you will see the promises come true - what it essentially means to me is - there is just less to worry and fret about.
Mary
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 am

Once we figure out our character defects and if we truly want the selfless path we walk a path where we commit fewer mistakes, sometimes others might think we ar living a boring life. We live a simple contented life. That's my interpretation of the sayings. This saying is a sensible one, unlike the other sayings.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:50 am

In the 12 & 12, when we get to step 10, it speaks about the fact that the AA practices become 'grooved,' and I guess a groove could be seen as the road getting narrower. I have never heard this expression myself, but anything that reminds newer members, that the AA program gets easier to practice as time passes, is a good thing. What Mary said about less to worry and fret about I have found to be true. This is the part on step 10 in the 12 & 12 -
Aren't these practices joy-killers as well as time-consumers? Must A.A.'s spend most of their waking hours drearily rehashing their sins of omission or commission? Well, hardly. The emphasis on inventory is heavy only because a great many of us have never really acquired the habit of accurate self-appraisal. Once this healthy practice has become grooved, it will be so interesting and profitable that the time it takes won't be missed.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Once we figure out our character defects and if we truly want the selfless path we walk a path where we commit fewer mistakes, sometimes others might think we ar living a boring life. We live a simple contented life.

I think that because as we grow in the program we become more principled; making our defects more known to us and some are corrected. I think the road is narrower because what behavior passed as "principled action" or "good growth" in year 5 will not pass as "principled action" in year 10.

For instance... In year one I learned to call my husband if I was going to be delayed getting home - I let him know even if I was angry at him. Now in year 8, I cannot rationalize and justify using my old behavior of NOT calling and causing him worry as a punishment for being angry at him. The road is narrower for me when it comes to justifying the use of my defects of character because I don't know what else to do.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Nothing to fear Kathy Anne. Life becomes simpler. It's a good thing.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Long ago, it was explained to me that it meant the fair territory gets smaller. Meaning, you are more aware sooner of poor thinking and behaving. You grow a conscience.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby JohnDaniels » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Personally I've never heard that at an AA meeting.

There are allot of things taken from the Bible we recite in meetings. Take The Lords Prayer for example from Matthew 6.

In the next page or so starting at 7:13 it goes into Jesus teaching of the Narrow Gate. “Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy, and there are many who travel it. But the gate to life is narrow and the way that leads to it is hard, and there are few people who find it".

I haven't found the AA way of life hard for some time now. In fact it's something I love that comes quite natural. When I stopped fighting it, I was humbled to find the answers to my problems right before me in our program. Perhaps it's in the actions taken that have become a habit and then a way of life, then an example to my wife and kids. It's nothing I've done on self knowledge, I'm just not that smart. I think about the only thing I've done on self knowledge is having been beat down to the point of giving up, then turning it over and accepting the AA way of life. A big part of this life is a daily review at the end of every day.

Edit: Some translations will say "Gate" and others will say "Road".
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:54 am

JohnDaniels wrote:Personally I've never heard that at an AA meeting.

There are allot of things taken from the Bible we recite in meetings. Take The Lords Prayer for example from Matthew 6.

In the next page or so starting at 7:13 it goes into Jesus teaching of the Narrow Gate. “Go in through the narrow gate, because the gate to hell is wide and the road that leads to it is easy, and there are many who travel it. But the gate to life is narrow and the way that leads to it is hard, and there are few people who find it".

I haven't found the AA way of life hard for some time now. In fact it's something I love that comes quite natural. When I stopped fighting it, I was humbled to find the answers to my problems right before me in our program. Perhaps it's in the actions taken that have become a habit and then a way of life, then an example to my wife and kids. It's nothing I've done on self knowledge, I'm just not that smart. I think about the only thing I've done on self knowledge is having been beat down to the point of giving up, then turning it over and accepting the AA way of life. A big part of this life is a daily review at the end of every day.

Edit: Some translations will say "Gate" and others will say "Road".

I liked this post and I know for me when I stopped fighting life in general became more of quality and less quantity. But I have to say that when I get to comfortable I get some idiot who comes in and messes my life up and then leaves in a hurry before I can choke the ever loving out of them..... Just my luck! But on a brighter note it does remind me that I am in constant change and I shouldn't rest on my laurels. I am honored that God as I understand gave me the opportunity to get sober and to live sober all these years. New comers remind me of the outside world and thus keeps my last drunk embedded in my mind of what it was like.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am

The path is clear and the direction is easily seen where the wide road can offer varriations. The narrow road is the path that is easy to follow.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 pm

KathyAnne wrote:When I hear old timers say 'the longer your around the road gets narrower' please can someone tell me what it means.

It means nothing. Some people like the sound of their own voice, that's all.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:12 am

="positrac"
I liked this post and I know for me when I stopped fighting life in general became more of quality and less quantity. But I have to say that when I get to comfortable I get some idiot who comes in and messes my life up and then leaves in a hurry before I can choke the ever loving out of them..... Just my luck! But on a brighter note it does remind me that I am in constant change and I shouldn't rest on my laurels. I am honored that God as I understand gave me the opportunity to get sober and to live sober all these years. New comers remind me of the outside world and thus keeps my last drunk embedded in my mind of what it was like.

As always I enjoyed your post Positrac. The part about "But I have to say that when I get to comfortable I get some idiot who comes in and messes my life up and then leaves in a hurry before I can choke the ever loving out of them....." made me giggle because it reminded me of the same thing I often feel.
There are times when I hear someone trying to mess with my serenity and I feel the way you described. It's that old "Top Dog - Underdog" game that I don't get into. But that's just me. Then I laugh and I think about standing up and quoting Michael Douglas from the movie American President when he walks in on the environmentalist bashing him in the White House as the President. Michael Douglas walks in and says "Let's take him out back and beat the **** out of him". I laugh myself silly every time I see that part. I often think of quoting his statement when people start bashing old farts and the things about our program that saved my life. But I giggle anyway because I don't take myself too serious and I doubt if most folks would agree with my dry sense of humor.

Well ole buddy, Michael Douglas' statement reminds me of a funny here I heard at a meeting:

A guy gets up at a meeting and says "I'm an Alcoholic and basically got nothin' to worry about. Unless I see a bottle of booze.

Then I got TWO things to worry about, weather I'm gonna drink it or not.
If I don't drink it I got nothin' to worry about.
But if I drink it I got TWO things to worry about.
Weather I'm gonna become an Alcoholic or not.
If I don't become and Alcoholic I got nothin' to worry about.
But if I do become an Alcoholic I got TWO things to worry about.
Whether I'm gonna die or go insane.
If I go insane I got nothin' to worry about.
If I die I got TWO things to worry about.
Whether I'm gonna go to Heaven or go to hell.
If I go to Heaven I got nothin' to worry about.
If I go to hell I got ONE thing to worry about
Where in hell am I gonna find another drink." :lol:

Have a good one
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm

the longer i am around the more i give up trying to control anything and everything, so the road is getting narrower as i am not trying to put my fingers into so many pies

the less i do the more freedom i have and that freedom i have is priceless to me, to have a peaceful mind is worth all the money in the world, when i look back at the born worrier i once was, how i could never be happy as there was always a problem for my mind to solve

we call it the washing machine head thankfully the power is turned to super eco these days so it doesnt take up hardly any of my time but its all about practising and the more we practise the better we get over time

so dont be worried about the road getting narrower thing its actualy a great sign that people are on the right path
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby KathyAnne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks everybody for your great replays. I feel reassured and the committee in my head has ceased analysing it.
KathyAnne
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:15 am

KathyAnne wrote:Thanks everybody for your great replays. I feel reassured and the committee in my head has ceased analysing it.

Hence the path just got narrower :D
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to Discussions