What is AA?

For recovery discussion

What is AA?

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship designed and
administered by a bunch of ex-drunks, whose only qualifi-
cation for membership is that they can't hold their liquor,
and they don't want to learn how.

It has no rules, dues or fees, nothing that any sensible organization seems to require. At meetings, the speaker starts out on one subject, and winds up talking about something entirely different, and concludes by saying he doesn't know anything about the program, except that it works!

The groups are always broke, yet always seem to have
money to carry on. They are always losing members, but
they seem to grow. They claim that AA is a selfish program, but they always seem to be doing something for others.

Every group passes laws, rules, edicts and pronounce-
ments that everyone blithely ignores. Members who disagree
with anything are privileged to walk out in a huff, quitting
forever, only to return as though nothing had happened,
and are greeted accordingly.

Nothing is ever planned twenty-four hours ahead,
yet great projects are born and survive magnificently. 
Nothing in AA is according to Hoyle.

How can it survive?

Perhaps it is because we in AA have learned how
to live, and to laugh at ourselves. God made man and he
made laughter too.  Perhaps he is pleased with our disorganized efforts,
and makes things run right no matter who pushes the wrong button. 
Maybe he is pleased, not with our perfection, but with our sincerity.
Maybe he is pleased because we are trying to be nobody but ourselves.
We don't know how it works, but it does,
and members keep receiving their dividend checks from their AA investments constantly.

-- Anonymous from "By the Way"

The first AA meeting was held in June of 1935. There were only two members at that first AA meeting, our founders, Bob S., a drunken, pill-popping surgeon from Ohio and Bill W., a drunken, bankrupt NY stockbroker just three months out his last of many rehabs. They helped each other stay sober and neither one of them ever took another drink after that first June meeting. In the last 82 years, the AA fellowship has grown from 2 sober alcoholics to over 2 million sober alcoholics and from that one meeting to over 100,000 meetings world wide.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: What is AA?

Postby kdub720 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Great post. I think it is important to reflect on the beggining and focus on our similarities. I loved reading through this today and remember how this was founded and why. Thanks for the thinkers today.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:06 am

My grandmother got sober in 1955 in FT. Worth, Texas and back in those days women in the rooms was not common at all. It brought a lot of baggage to my grandmother because she was the lone female in a room full of males and she had to learn to keep her self about sobriety. I have her 24 hour meditation book dated 1955 that her sponsor gave her and up to her death she read it daily and had good sobriety to help me in my early years. She told me a lot of stuff that I wasn't ready for and time allowed those words to apply to me.

So AA is a lot of things to a lot of people in this world and I've found over the years that anyplace one or more sober people meet then we have a meeting and even if the language is a barrier we understand the fundamental points of why we showed up.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:00 pm

I've found over the years that anyplace one or more sober people meet then we have a meeting....

Me too! Love those unplanned "mini meetings" at banks, grocery stores, restaurants, parking lots etc. with other AA members. Seems to me to be one of the perks of this program.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:54 pm

great post
aa is perfect in my eyes, it is its own members that are not =biggrin

i love reading how those early guys set about trying to save drunken bums off the streets or in mental institutions as they were known as incurable cases and sadly for many it proves to be the case as when drunks end up with nothing and no one left to bail them out then very often they die alone with there meths

but those early guys set about draging the bums off the streets taking them into there own homes and virtually trying to keep them under lock and key to dry out and sober up

who works there 12 step to that level anymore in aa ?
hardly anyone gives there phone number out these days let alone someone who wants to be woken up at silly oclock in the morning by someone who is screaming in the madness looking for help

thankfully i have been around people in aa who really did work there 12step on me and i am so very grateful they gave me so much, and the only way i can repay what they gave to me is to try to do the same for the new comers

i love the old timers qoute when they say things like, anyone can start a new aa meeting, all they need is a coffee pot and a resentment =biggrin
when i look back at myself over the years and all the resentments i had about some people in aa etc well that one saying shows me and my true nature, and there is nothing more funny than a alcholic going off on one trying to get his or her own way but they just dont see it YET

it really is an illness of the mind and soul and for me its taken many years going through many different stages of recovery and a lot of pain trying to deal with life on lifes terms to come to see that i am growing and continue to grow, i have dropped the i know everything side of my nature and i dont need to feed myself trying to prove i am right
but i am right about this =biggrin
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions