People With Willingness to Try the program!

For recovery discussion

People With Willingness to Try the program!

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:13 am

Once in a while we run into a person who atleast is open to the program of AA and that happens its so much easier to part with our knowledge of the program. I was talking to a guy overseas, he had been to several treatment centers and only on the 4th visit he was exposed to AA and he says prior visits he was just sent home with good information on addiction and alcoholism. Invariably he went back out. So I am going through the material and he was able to identify with the concepts and admitted he had trouble with writing an inventory. So I shared with him the format on Jaywalkers. It was such a great feeling when people willingly want to work and those who have to be pushed. I believe its all points back to deep realization that alcohol is not going to fix anything and that the real problem is our handling of life situations.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: People With Willingness to Try the program!

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:25 am

Great post Avaneesh912

It reminds of "Nothing happens in Gods World by mistake" and the way things have a reason for happening. Perhaps the informative conversation you guys had will have the much needed change in his life. Great 12 Step work.

Have a great day!
JohnDaniels
Trusted Servant

Postby kdub720 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 pm

That is great. For me everyday is a learning process of how to handle lifes problems. I always have to make literature applicable to my own life to truly understand the message. I have had a few friends struggling, yet just needed to see a comparison of alcohol to something else in life that they can relate to. Great post.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:38 am

Good ponder for this morning for me as I reflect on my "willingness" and or just being backed into a corner and having no other options except the mental hospital or jail back in the day. One thing I know is that something in our make up as humans is the ability to let go of harmful things and this one is extremely wide in topic is our worst enemy. Change and possibilities can be very positive and rewarding if accomplished correctly. I know that if I run from my problems in time they will catch up to me and be a lot worse and then I am back at trying to manipulate the laws of nature and I will lose and then be in a world of funk. I was told early on that misery was optional and I had to run my gamut in order to surrender my free will for happiness.

For myself willingness came in time as I began to feel comfortable in my skin, acceptance I have a drinking issue, and that others like me were able to find peace via the steps and the simple program of AA. I would say that my experience is easier said than done now after all these years and it is a case by case deal on how people will perceive surrendering and willingness. I've always said that we have nothing to lose and so much to gain by trying to maintain sobriety.

As a reminder one tool I used in my life is I haven't forgotten my last drunk and all of the pain I had with shame and remorse on failing in life and not being able to control my addictions. You might hear this in the rooms and this isn't hot air! It is a fact and I suggest you take it to heart because your destiny rides on your past and our future.

Be well and thanks for the topic.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:20 am

It all ties back to the deep deep shift each and everyone has when we all realize at one point of our drinking/drugging career that stuff we put in our body is not going to fix the issue and that we need to find a solution other than that. And at that right moment when this solution is offered, we latch on to it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 am

avaneesh912 wrote:It all ties back to the deep deep shift each and everyone has when we all realize at one point of our drinking/drugging career that stuff we put in our body is not going to fix the issue and that we need to find a solution other than that. And at that right moment when this solution is offered, we latch on to it.

indeed. I wouldn't want to experience that again because it really sucked.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions