Misconception of outside World

For recovery discussion

Re: Misconception of outside World

Postby Karl R » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 am

All,

Take a breath before posting to this thread. Attempt to post to the point of the discussion rather then the persons in the discussion.

thanks,
regards,
karl-forums coordinator
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 am

Ya'll been busy over here as of late..... :lol:

So many movies have tried to provide/project the image of this person going into rehab. You know in two hours it is hard to identify how some change occurs if the person tries to get clean. Michael Keaton played a drunk in the movie clean and sober and I remember watching that movie in rehab back in 1990. Misconception was understanding exactly how to take this new untraveled road of sobriety. But movies make these rehabs out to be fun, cozy, and little struggles with real addiction at the level of insanity!

Waking up young and just physically broke due to addiction and not caring if we lived or die is the real deal. Misconception is this: It can't happen to me! Wanna bet! Just thinking out loud on this topic as I spoke with a young semi sober addict about WTF mattered in life to them. They want sobriety and yet peer pressure has them in a vise. I told them that once they got sick and tired of being sick and tired and if they lived to be able to change is when real sobriety happen.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:20 am

AA has 3 legacies...recovery, unity and service. I see them as contribute, belong and learn. Contribute is service...belong is unity and learn is recovery where I uncover, discover and discard what has been blocking me from the sunlight of the spirit. The more I sit in the middle of that triangle the more I feel wanted, needed and loved in all areas of my life...regardless of what anyone thinks especially the outside world. While I agree most people don't have one clue what AA is...I have no desire to convince anyone. All I have to do is work those 3 legacies...it doesn't matter how many meetings I attend or how long I have been sober...what is important is my relationship with God and the actions I take everyday in the pursuit of spiritual growth.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 am

As the 12 and 12 states, "Who cares to admit Complete Defeat. Practically no one of course, unless we have to."

Strange statement, but as I around, I see so many people that could benefit from this "Simple Program" but without paying the tuition, may never be able to be "Rigorously Honest, Selfless, and Concerned for Other Sufferers."

Part of why I "Don't regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it"
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 am

D'oh wrote:As the 12 and 12 states, "Who cares to admit Complete Defeat. Practically no one of course, unless we have to."

Strange statement, but as I around, I see so many people that could benefit from this "Simple Program" but without paying the tuition, may never be able to be "Rigorously Honest, Selfless, and Concerned for Other Sufferers."

Part of why I "Don't regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it"

In a weird way if our whole world had to adhere to some kind of program as AA for example our world would be a lot better. I lived overseas for over 7 years and every country had AA or at least the ones I visited and lived in and the 12X12 and BB was still used and though different cultures and religious beliefs; the one thing that stood true was the program of AA.

Now my past has a lot to it and I use it as an example, reminder to myself and I keep it safe and I respect it because I don't want to return.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 pm

I started to edit this post. Unfortunately, I didn't want to take the time to parse which parts related to personalities over principles so I deleted the whole thing.

Karl-forums coordinator.
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Mike O » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 am

Hmmm...I don't go to meetings - face-to-face ones at least. I'm happy and sober, have been for over 9 years. I have no desire to drink or to have anything to do with alcohol. I work the steps and live the life described in the book to the best of my ability.
Am I wasting my time? Is it only a matter of time...? I'd like to think not.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 am

The intent of the topic was to gauge if people are "staying away from booze one day at a time" or are we experiencing the 10th step promises?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 am

all because i picked up that first drink again, and of course i gave up on aa but still managed to not take a drink for 15 years.

Very usually story. One of the speakers i revere talks about it. We either build resentments or simply let the guard down. Dont work the steps and slowly we conclude meetings is not working or not necessary and start skipping few here and few there. We got it. We "know what it takes" but that life hits hard. Resentments pile up and we get thirsty. And boom we pick up. Then starts the alcoholic torture.

I don't think anybody said "don't go to meetings" but more important is "cleaning our side of the street".
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 am

The intent of the topic was to gauge if people are "staying away from booze one day at a time" or are we experiencing the 10th step promises?

That is true, but I believe the two are connected. If we give the misconception to the outside world, that we stay sober by going to meetings; which seems to be the major misconception promoted by TV and film, (six words edited out of post by coordinator). then the man in the street will still get the impression it's one day at a time, meeting a day keeps the booze away sort of thing.

I don't like going on about this meeting business, we have discussed it many times. And even though I always say I enjoy meetings now, and attend at least one per week, still we have people like Desi telling me in his post above this -”if you dont wish to go to aa meetings that is up to you but i certainly wouldnt try to force them onto you,” not bothering to read what others are saying before replying.

The conception people outside of AA seem to have, of meetings and one day at a time, could use a change. To reflect to the general population the fact that this is a recovery program, that people get to live good lives without thinking about alcohol, and those good lives are not dependent on sitting around and saying we are alcoholics.

It does not do the program justice, and probably the greatest and most selfish injustice, is that people in certain areas, and in certain jobs, find that it is not possible for them to attend. To continue saying these things are necessary for sobriety, is equivalent to telling some alcoholics there is no hope for you, go away and die. Thankfully, some like Mike O above are here to demonstrate differently, but how many without a change in these misconceptions at the public level, will know this truth.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Karl R » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 am

I deleted six words from one post and one other whole post from this thread.

If the participants can't stick with principles and avoid personalities I'll just close the thread at 4 pages.

regards,
Karl-forums coordinator.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Karl R wrote:I deleted six words from one post and one other whole post from this thread.

If the participants can't stick with principles and avoid personalities I'll just close the thread at 4 pages.

regards,
Karl-forums coordinator.

no need for that Karl I hardly come here anyway as I much prefer real face to face meetings than this sort of silly thing I find it can feed the bad in me and make me super sober or at least believe I am lol anyway take care all
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:04 pm

I enjoyed your comment Pete, before it was taken down.

I am not sure is Meetings are needed to keep anyone else sober. I do know that "Bigshotism" runs in my genes though, and other's Road Trudging, helps to keep me Right Sized.

I can positively say "I have never seen someone get drunk at an AA Meeting." I have seen them come Drunk, but they never drank during that hour.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm

That's easy to gauge from the answers posted in this thread as the Step 10 Promises begin with the phrase:
"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol."
Those who insist on fighting about the "right" way and the "wrong" way to work the AA program clearly have NOT experienced the Promises.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 am

Something to ponder regarding meetings, AA and our responsibility as carriers of the message to the person who is suffering from the disease of alcoholism:

Are we supposed to go to meetings forever? And if we are do we veg like mushrooms in a dark room or provide positive support through service and mentorship via the 12 steps?

I went to meetings 7 days a week for my first nine years of sobriety and I had two home groups in which one night I chaired a 12X12 and another night BB study and has Bill see's it and heaps of service work from dumping ashtrays to meetings in jails. I chose those meetings because it was about my quality of sobriety and not quantity! I needed to learn life better and learn about me better. My ES&H portion on meetings: I've witnessed people attend meeting because it was all they knew and or had and it was their social life (mine as well for a period of time) Nothing wrong with this concept as it is safety and security. I've also seen people just attend to be O2 thieves and do nothing for the better of themselves and or for the group and veg like that mushroom and live in misery and misery is optional in this deal.

My grandmother got sober in 1955 and was sober 47 years when she passed away in 2002. She had her issues and yet held firm to the 12X12 principles in her life and read her meditation literature daily and had spirituality. But one thing she told me is that she gave up meetings regularly at her 10 year mark and she said she believed that the founders of AA wanted us to go out and be part of society and use the tools of the rooms in our lives daily. She stressed that living on life's terms can be a struggle and yet it is also a builder of character and strength because we aren't always going to have the safety/security of AA in the world and we must learn discipline in order to make it through the hard times.

Not everyone can or will do this because of a lot of reasons. I am not promoting her ideals on this because I/we/you have to be ready for change and have the self esteem to make the next move in our lives.

Principles before personalities are real and we are real and resentments aren't always necessary because I can agree to disagree and hopefully mend my issues with you all as they may arise. So I am the ditzy one who is off target most of the time and that is ok by me because I've been sober a few 24 hours and I am ok with me. Ya'll on the other hand may think of me as a complete idiot and dork! God Bless ya!

For the new comer I would suggest in person meeting for 90 days everyday no matter what because I drank no matter what and I have had to learn to change my habits. Find that meeting you can relate to as we did when drinking in bars because some places are just not us. For you old timers our jobs are to try to live by example and that is not easy some days and we make amends as necessary. But I don't do meetings like I once did and this is my deal and not anyone else's because I've learned more about me. So you may not agree and yet if we have good sobriety then aren't we doing what the founders wanted us to do in the end?

Maybe not a misconception of the outside world as much as in our world of AA.

Have a good day.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions