Misconception of outside World

For recovery discussion

Re: Misconception of outside World

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I was at the Cabin a couple of weeks ago. I took my BB down and read Dr, Alcoholic, Addict. Chuckling a few times at Dr Paul's views. My Daughter, unused to me reading asked what it was I was reading? So I handed her the book and she read his Storey. She did get some of the meanings, but being fairly well rounded/planted person she did still get some Spiritual enlightenment (I think)

This week, I was talking with her about my son/her brother's trials and struggles. The conversation came to his drinking, when I mentioned "He has to Crash and Burn before he will get better." She couldn't understand.

The thought of "When we grab hold of this program with all the fever that the drowning grab life preservers" came to my mind. This Spiritual Program of Action could benefit so many, but few would practice it without hitting the Bottoms we have to get here.

The program is simple, the Tuition is the hard part.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:32 am

The program is simple, the Tuition is the hard part.

I figure I would out wit this and get my way in the end and ya know I failed! The worst part of life is having to surrender my will to anything other than ME! I am pretty honest and show my backside a lot because I feel that it could help someone and let them know they aren't alone. If they could by-pass my mistakes of being stubborn then they could arrive at that happy place sooner.

I am glad I had to be the odd ball village idiot because it makes my life, sobriety better for me. I hate to see others suffer as I did if they are willing to let go and let God/higher power resolve the issues we all have suffered from in the first place----- Addiction.
Last edited by positrac on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:28 am

I am glad I had to be the odd ball village idiot because it makes my life, sobriety better for me. I hate to see others suffer as I did if they are willing to let go and let God/higher power resolve the issues we all have suffered from in the first place----- Addiction.

"Glass in hand, we have warped our mind into such a state of destructive drinking that only an act of Providence can remove it from us"

It is truly hard not to just Grab someone and shake them, saying "There is an Easier Way" I still remember the first time someone brought up my drinking. Instantly I must have had 15 "Ya Buts" that ran through my head. 4 years later, and much deeper, I gave in.

Possibly, the mentioning of a problem, shortened the 4 years of Thumb Screw Like torture, but as the Book says
Our behavior will convince them more that our words.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 am

...but few would practice it without hitting the Bottoms we have to get here.

Very true, but with what the title says, the misconception of the outside world, to much of what AA is really about, we make it less and less likely that people will join, until they really have no choice.

This is partly good since we will get people seriously looking for help, but partly bad, since it causes unnecessary suffering, and the possibility that some may never try.

When you look at some examples here, avaneesh mentioned - “And a newcomer shared that one of her friends asked her "Does she consider staying sober one day at a time a success"? And Spirit said - “My experience is that people think we go to meetings because we might drink.” I agree these things are what most people think, at least newcomers I have met, and they get a pleasant surprise when they realize how wrong they are.

AA might be a more successful organization, if the word got out loud and clear, that it is not a daily struggle, and we don't go to meetings because we might drink.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 am

AA might be a more successful organization, if the word got out loud and clear, that it is not a daily struggle, and we don't go to meetings because we might drink.

Brock, you nailed it. This program (the 12 steps) is to help us live a sober life for keeps. Agreed like the Dr points out we have to follow certain simple rules.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 am

As an alcoholic I wanted the easier softer way and when I didn't get it I gave up. It had been a long long time since I had gone for even 24 hours without a drink - a long time since the thought even crossed my mind.

Most normal people have no idea what we go through. However, an alcoholic who is ready to stop drinking, even if they are like me and KNOW that it will never work for very long and I surely did not want to think about quitting for good! I KNEW I would fail at that. Desperate, drunks of all types will find their way to the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. Maybe in person maybe online.

Join your local (or online) Public Information Committee. Get into some service with Treatment, or Corrections or Cooperation with the Professional Community. Get on the Literature Committee. Get your phone number on the local hotline or maybe the National Hotline, especially if you speak more than one language. I can help you find service work. Anyone who serves now or has ever served will tell you of the benefits of humble service to those who still suffer.

I want to live in the solution ~ or at least be present if an opportunity presents itself.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 am

Personally I don't like the phrase "outside world".
:D

To the general public, A.A. is a self-help group. Go to meetings and it'll keep you sober. This is how A.A. has always been depicted in movies, TV, etc.
To be honest, I thought that for years before I needed the 12 steps.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:

Brock, you nailed it. This program (the 12 steps) is to help us live a sober life for keeps. Agreed like the Dr points out we have to follow certain simple rules.

you pair remind me of the 2 old men in the muppet show who are always frowning about the show lol

if only aa was run the way you pair think it should be done then we would all be saved ?

its a good job aa is run not the way you like it to be run as it would end up the same way as the oxford group and all the other groups before them have ended up
aa is very old these days and yet its world wide and successful.
because people keep on coming back. if people stopped coming back aa would die
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Mike O wrote:Personally I don't like the phrase "outside world".

To the general public, A.A. is a self-help group. Go to meetings and it'll keep you sober. This is how A.A. has always been depicted in movies, TV, etc.
To be honest, I thought that for years before I needed the 12 steps.

the whole world could do with the 12 steps not just alcoholics, it is a great way to try to live life.
but we also have our own community in aa and i feel so very lucky indeed to be a part of that community
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Just dont drink and go to meetings dude.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:Just dont drink and go to meetings dude.

well said that man i am glad your starting to take it all in and keep on coming back
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I was just contemplating the Daily Reflections this morning in the shower "seems to be the place lately".

I am not sure if anybody ever stumbles into a meeting by accident. If so I have never met anyone. Really why would they? If everything was going ok except that "Wicked Hangover I had Sunday". I musta had a 1000 of those Sundays, before I had enough.

So the so called "Raising of the Bottom" as described in the 12 and 12, is it really necessary, with the AA Program being so much more available, and known about?

I am not saying, that I knew "What AA was" before coming through the Doors, but I knew it existed.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 am

So the so called "Raising of the Bottom" as described in the 12 and 12, is it really necessary, with the AA Program being so much more available, and known about?

No, it was wishful thinking of Bill W. At the end of the "essay on 1st step" he did write those 2 key paragraphs, "why all the insistence...." The alcoholic must reach a point where he realizes he is trapped. Until then he will muck around. And when he reaches that point, we show the solution. The 2 paragraph on page 25. We could show him how bill points to cleaning up right away and then finding this power.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 am

"why all the insistence...." The alcoholic must reach a point where he realizes he is trapped.

You are missing the point. When it was written you couldn't just open a phone book and find "Alcohol Problems, call here". New Members where found at Hospitals and Jails.

So now that AA is available in "Most Communities" "New Members" often find the Rooms by their selves walking through the Doors this way. Seemingly having hit a "Higher Bottom".

But is it a Higher Bottom, like I stated "One doesn't go to AA if everything is great! But for a couple of Bad Hangovers." They may have been "Spared the last ten or fifteen years of literal He11" but they have already been there also.

The big difference "I" can see. Is the so called "High Bottom" cases, would have a harder time admitting "Complete Defeat". Having not tried those other 2 ways that would have made it "Different this time". You know those 2 ways we tried 10 times ago.

My former Boss (also a member) use to say "They are not here to buy Ice Cream" as people were browsing on our Car Lot. Well no one comes to AA looking for Ice Cream.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 am

So now that AA is available in "Most Communities" "New Members" often find the Rooms by their selves walking through the Doors this way.

Are they desperate is the question. Then the shares they hear about multiple DUIs and incarcerations don't help either-AKA War Stories! We could atleast talk about the main problem-The spiritual malady, leading to the blind spot. Then the sections like what I posted in the original post, could help them realize the problem.

Don't throw those cliches. Yeah nobody comes to AA room for ice cream. IF he is, he is dumb. Most are court mandate, pushed to the rooms by their spouses. And occasionally some cats take a peak to whats AA is about and then they fade. Out of those few who are desperate and lucky find a competent sponsor and understand the problem and then the solution.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions