Effect of True Surrender

For recovery discussion

Effect of True Surrender

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:11 am

Below is from Power of now. This is similar to the statement in the book, "Spiritual life is not a theory, we have to live it". ET talks about shift in energy flow when we surrender and take action/practice.

Until you practice surrender, the spiritual dimension is something you read about, talk about, get excited about, write books about, think about, believe in - or don't, as
the case may be. It makes no difference. Not until you surrender does it become a living reality in your life. When you do, the energy that you emanate and which then runs your life is of a much higher vibration frequency than the mind energy that still runs our world - the energy that created the existing social, political, and economic structures of our civilization, and which also continuously perpetuates itself through our educational systems and the media. Through surrender, spiritual energy comes into this world. It creates no suffering for yourself, for other humans, or any other life form on the planet. Unlike mind energy, it does not pollute the earth, and it is not subject to the law of polarities, which dictates that nothing can exist without its opposite, that there can be no good without bad. Those who run on mind energy, which is still the vast majority of the Earths population, remain unaware of the existence of spiritual energy. It belongs to a different order of reality and will create a different world when a sufficient number of humans enter the surrendered state and so become totally free of negativity. If the Earth is to survive, this will be the energy of those who inhabit it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Effect of True Surrender

Postby positrac » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 am

Pretty thought provoking and possibly in my own way my surrender is of lesser than that of what you posted from that book. I guess I never dwelled on this or if I did it was in one ear and out the other as I am easily distracted.

Good stuff.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 am

funny enough there was a member today in a meeting going all deep into how it works and the meanings of this that or the other, today i try to keep it all simple, i just accept it works without questions anymore
i dont feel the need anymore to try to understand the how, i just accept i have been sober for 11 years now, and i could never have managed that on my own, only since i went to aa in a hopeless state and i just followed over time some suggestions and got a sponsor, did the steps and now practice my new way of living and thinking well it just works

the one ability i could never get in my life was acceptance of people places or thing, i would always have to understand or try to direct to my own understanding, and today i just accept
i have got so much better over the years at accepting people i dont like, things people do or say that i dont like, events in my life etc. the reaction now is more of a think think think and be the time i am at my 3rd thought. i have normaly found a way not to react like a raving loony or scream insults or feel inside of me that i have to win this etc

but its taken me many years of soul searching and doing everything wrong time and time again and feeling the pain of it all that has caused me to start to let go of my old ways and trying these new ways
today i stick with the new ways as i get peace in my mind and my heart as a result
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:31 am

Good to see you Pete!
Unlike mind energy, it does not pollute the earth, and it is not subject to the law of polarities, which dictates that nothing can exist without its opposite, that there can be no good without bad.

Ahhh I instantly got stuck in polarity with the word "True" in the title to this thread. As if there could be a "False" type of surrender. Sigh. I am working on this - AND I think I am making progress!

Surrender to me implies a totality that does not include any kind of falsity. However, we are only able to surrender what we are aware of and in a life where "more will be revealed", I find it perfectly fine to surrender as I go along this journey, aka practice. Practice makes progress not perfection.

Good topic, especially with the "True" in the title :lol: I appreciate the self-awareness that allows me some irony. No offense intended - truly. Wow - I just can't get away from the mind energy of polarities here! =confused :lol:

I send my Love Avaneesh, there is nothing else.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Am so grateful it never occurred to me to worry about or waste time questioning the quality of my "surrender" to recovery. If I had, i'd probably would have died trying before I could get it right.

Alcohol was my best friend and lover. Paul Simon's advice in "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" made a lot of sense to me:

You Just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free.....

It worked!!! I put the plug in jug, slipped out the back and got myself to an AA meeting.... :lol:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks, Avaneesh. That's inspirational.

I guess I haven't been able to surrender everything yet. I'm doing it bit by bit. I'm surrendering slowly, as I discover more and more about myself that needs to be surrendered. I expect it'll go on for as long as I live. Your post and the quote from the book help me and strengthen me.
Thanks.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:31 am

I guess I haven't been able to surrender everything yet.

I totally understand and relate to it. What I realize is, I have to forgive (myself) and live in acceptance. The mind is the worst critic.

As Eckhart puts it as a "tormentor":

Many people live with a tormentor in their head that continuously attacks and punishes them and drains them of vital energy. It is the cause of untold misery and unhappiness, as well as of disease.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Barbara D. » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 am

I am not religious or a disciple of Power of Now. But this topic sure did get the "committee" in my head jabbering. :)

When I dip into my experience, strength, and hope, I see how going to meetings, reading the literature, talking 1 on 1 and in groups, and working the Steps gradually changed my thinking. My understanding of this process is that spiritual energy is everywhere including inside my own self. It was a matter of peeling back layers of misinformation and self-centeredness which resulted in me thinking I was in charge of my own life. I had to tap into an inner contact with a Power Greater Than Myself and a new belief system. I had to adjust to reality instead of expecting it to adjust to me. And I accepted that I could not describe my God even though I trusted it to take care of the cosmos. I don't believe Man is God's pet...but that's another personal topic.

Tolle: "Through surrender, spiritual energy comes into this world." I believe spiritual energy is already here, and it up to me to connect to it. I don't see "mind energy" and "spiritual energy" as separate or antagonists. I think surrender is like any other spiritual principle. I have to do it more or less on a daily basis. I don't do anything perfectly or permanently. I'm a human-being animal.

Tolle: "(Spiritual energy) is not subject to the law of polarities, which dictates that nothing can exist without its opposite, that there can be no good without bad." During my 4th Step, I came to believe that I had character traits and that, depending on how I utilized them, they could be either an asset or a defect. For instance, ego is my basic survival instinct. If it is under-nourished or exaggerated, it becomes a defect, perhaps showing up as a victim or bully complex, etcetera. So, I don't see good and bad as separate things but extreme ends of the same thing.

Thanks Avaneesh! Barbara D, alcoholic
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks Barbara. I like the way you describe your understanding and experience. Makes me think of "our instincts gone awry" or however that is worded! lol.

Good thread.
Alcohol was my best friend and lover. Paul Simon's advice in "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" made a lot of sense to me:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby kdub720 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Wow. What great posts. Got me thinking too. We have to be wise enough to realize what and how to surrender. I liked whoever wrote about having a clear veiw of their world is the only way to surrender completely. This got me really thinking about my own surrendering. Great job folks.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:01 am

whoever wrote

Thats Eckhart Tolle, author of Power of Now and A new Earth. I use to suggest people read Power of Now, but I felt many relate to A new Earth more quickly than is original work. I think he himself felt the original work needed additional life time examples so he added lot of personal experiences and zen stories to convey how the mind operates.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 am

I use to suggest people read Power of Now, but I felt many relate to A new Earth more quickly than his original work.

I believe 'A New Earth' is easier to read and understand, especially for someone who has started a spiritual journey, like us in AA, there is a lot of discussion and learning about the bad effects of ego in the book as well.

To me the important thing about these books, and where I feel some may make mistakes, they are not books to read then say OK that's done. I did that at first and didn't get much out of it, but just like the Big Book it's a lesson on living life, not a novel, we must practice what it says. I have now read both a couple times, and am nearly through Power of Now once again, as the author suggests stopping and pondering on what is written often, and it is making more sense each time I read it.

So many AA's in meetings and on here speak about the 'committee in the head,' how hard it is to stop thinking all these conflicting thoughts, it keeps people up at night. By these books you find the answer, and can bring yourself to be in the present moment without the 'committee,' it takes a little practice and then becomes simple.

It has been said here before, that the books can often be found cheap in used book stores, it does not appeal to everyone, maybe they like me didn't give it a fair chance at first and sold the books. Also, I don't want to do the author out of well deserved money, but you can find these by Goggling the titles and putting pdf after, download and use a good reader like Adobe, where you can highlight and reread often, there are also free downloads of the author reading the books.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:55 am

So many AA's in meetings and on here speak about the 'committee in the head,' how hard it is to stop thinking all these conflicting thoughts, it keeps people up at night. By these books you find the answer, and can bring yourself to be in the present moment without the 'committee,' it takes a little practice and then becomes simple.

Committee in the Head or Voice in the head as he calls it, its Minds non acceptance of something in our life. In AA we term that selfishness and the mind that is active is self-centered around that issue. With lot of meditation we get to practice the letting go of the mind stuff, ourselves, realizing its just the mind. We don't have to rush to a meeting to get relief.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions