Hearing Gods Will

For recovery discussion

Hearing Gods Will

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:59 am

Doh wrote:

I am not arguing that, but more of where we hear His Message. If God ever called me on the phone, I would probably hang up!

I hear Gods will in meditation and when I interact with people outside of the rooms and inside the rooms. I dont have the urge to "hear not pick up message" in the rooms because I am convinced way into the process. Convinced that alcohol/drugs is not the solution, I launched on the cleaning work. Not that I am totally selfless but we strive for progress.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Hearing Gods Will

Postby D'oh » Wed May 31, 2017 9:35 am

You missed my meaning.

If God ever called me on the phone, I would probably hang up!

Means that If God ever Verbally/Directly communicated to me, I would still have a hard time believing it to be God. (not some telemarketer). Perhaps, being Alcoholic, Self Centered to Extreme, makes me over think everything.

This was even tested. Shortly after I actually got a call asking if "I was the President, they needed a ride to Church". It stumped me for awhile, before I figured out it was the wrong number.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Duke » Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 am

D'oh wrote:You missed my meaning.

If God ever called me on the phone, I would probably hang up!

Means that If God ever Verbally/Directly communicated to me, I would still have a hard time believing it to be God. (not some telemarketer). Perhaps, being Alcoholic, Self Centered to Extreme, makes me over think everything.

This was even tested. Shortly after I actually got a call asking if "I was the President, they needed a ride to Church". It stumped me for awhile, before I figured out it was the wrong number.

I just had to tell you I laughed out loud when I read this D'oh. I've had virtually the same experience many times.

Personally, I believe if I'm not hearing my higher power in everything, it's because I'm not listening. However, my ego's still waiting for that personal phone call.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

Personally, I believe if I'm not hearing my higher power in everything, it's because I'm not listening. However, my ego's still waiting for that personal phone call.

Precisely.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 am

When I first sobered up I told my husband and a couple family members (not my dear mother) that if I came home from AA suddenly spouting the Good News of the Lord (any lord, but in America this is usually a Christian ideation) they were to institutionalize me immediately. In fact, I once had a lucid dream wherein they DID try to have me wrapped up and taken away by the white coats - I was running around town seeking my atheist friends who turned their back on me when I joined AA and they wouldn't listen to me. What is worse is that the dream stuck with me for days - I was looking at everyone in real life through a veil of distrust and fear. I even spoke to one daughter who was quite concerned about the mental state I was in over the dream and reassured me that no one would be hauling me off to the looney bin.

I am quite certain that if I had a white light experience back in the early days I would have gotten drunk. And if God called me on the phone I would have laughed my azz off, maybe even taunted a little before I hung up.

Luckily for me the writers of the Appendix on the Spiritual Experience told me that all I needed was a personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism. I worked at that by going through the Steps with a sponsor and as promised in the 12th Step - as the result of these steps - I received just exactly what I needed to find an understanding of a power greater than myself. It is indeed a "miracle" for lack of a better word. And I See/Know what the Next Right Thing is in many ways: in meetings, in meditation & in opportunities presented to me. But I don't HEAR much and for that I am grateful LOL - it's more like an intuitive thought.

When they read How It Works in meetings I hear "That One is God may you find him now." I think the writers meant NOW - like as in this very second at the meeting. It works alone too, but I hear is at meetings and it is one place where I know I will find my Higher Power.

There is Hope for ALL.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 pm

Luckily for me the writers of the Appendix on the Spiritual Experience told me that all I needed was a personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism.

This is true, latter on the same page they say most of us have the type of experience that develops over a period of time, they quote William James who called it the “educational variety.”

As we go through the steps the book says we may be amazed before we are half way through, and for many people it seems that is enough. Maybe they feel it's enough to recover from the urge to drink, and they might say they recovered from alcoholism, forgetting that the urge to drink was but a symptom.

At the end of 10 they say we must go further more action required, so we go to 11 and the suggestion is be quick to see where religious people are right, and to look for those many helpful books. Because as stated above our spirituality is of the educational variety, you might be educated by the changes in your life, but more-so the book is telling you to educate yourself, use those helpful books they mention and so on. Some are going to say the members at meetings educate them spiritually, wonder why Bill didn't think of that, is it that members are more spiritual now than in his day, I doubt that. And we are lucky today, if we want we just choose from endless you tube spiritual speakers till we find something we can relate to.

I don't see spiritual fitness being that much different from some other types of fitness, if you want to go to the beach or park and trow a frisbee or whatever, a person with little physical fitness will tire easily and probably not be as good a thrower as someone more fit, and the person who is fitter will end up having more fun, won't be as tired after and won't have sore muscles the next day, that person has a better quality of life.

I don't really hear God's will but I feel it, when I am irritable or upset, (as we go through the day we pause etc), it's a sign I'm not doing it His way. I have also seen a fair share of minor miracles since being in AA, and not just related to people getting sober. In the book it says “our pick struck gold,” and it also says “he may not see at once that he has barely scratched a limitless lode.” But some of us see that, and are walking around with more gold than others, this gold buys happiness and serenity. Fortunately 'my God' is also not a nerd, so He doesn’t seem to mind me doing all sorts of cool stuff.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby kdub720 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:45 pm

I pray and listen for Gods will and plan, yet it is so hard to hear. For me it is the patience that their is a higher power than myself with a plan.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Sometimes God "talks" to me through my spirit or consciousness, but most often through other AA members in meetings. I really never know who or what is going to deliver the message, but I have come to believe that as soon as a question forms in my mind, the answer I need is already on its way. One time, early in sobriety, the answer came over my car radio! I was about 2 months sober and having a really bad day--agitated, restless, angry, and full of anxiety--for no reason at all. Went to a morning meeting, the topic was "faith", hated the topic, didn't feel any better after the meeting, so I got in my car and decided to go to another meeting in another town. When I got on the freeway, I screamed out "WTF is faith???" while fiddling with the radio trying to find some soothing music. I stopped fiddling with the dial long enough to light a cigarette and heard a calm male voice on the radio say: "The evidence of faith is patience." Got my answer. Not the answer I wanted but I heard it loud and clear! ..... :lol:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm

I do agree everybody looks at the world with their own conditioning. Like the guy who was the discussion leader, who probably gets thirsty everyday and just white knuckles it, raised a questions "who all thought about drinking today" and when no one responded, he commented "Bunch of liars". And some of them roared in laughter. I guess if all just shared their experience and not poke at each others shares, we all will be good.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Wed May 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Step 11 Page 103, explains what I am trying to say pretty closely.

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/twelve-st ... traditions
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:09 am

I have extravagant ideas but I don't rush to implement them. Carrying meetings into jails was a concept I liked very early on. It took about 7 years before it got materialized. I know some of things may materialize, some don't. But again going back to your statement that you need to hear the message "Not to pick of a drink" is alien to me. Drink problem has been solved for me long time ago. I may get squirrely where I go deep within and address the discomfort or if it lingers reach up to other alcoholics.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 am

My experience was that before AA I just drank all the time. I knew I had to find a way to get out of that mess and the last time I failed the experiment of trying to quit on my own I finally phoned AA, someone took me to an AA meeting and I heard at that meeting the reading out of the 12 steps. There was no doubt in my mind what the working of those steps would mean. God was written all over the place.

It was about three months after that and attending a lot of AA meetings before I did step three. I waited until I felt comfortable with what step three said and I was convinced of steps one and two before I did it. I also made sure I was completey sincere about turning my will and life over to God. Couldn't have done that if I hadn't found a love and trust in God first. So I did step three and my alcoholic obsessions and compulsions, the desire to drink, whatever it is called, left me then.

I went on to do step four and five. I don't think I could have done 4 and 5 honestly if I hadn't made a complete step three first. Main reason, I had to have trust, the feeling of being loved unconditionally first, before I admitted my wrongs.

I haven't heard God telling me His will, or had it spelled out to me. Its unfortunate perhaps. But the freedom from alcohol was what AA promised me if I did the steps. There has a been a lot more than sobriety too, and I rarely feel sorry for myself that I didn't get all the things others report as a result of the steps and sobriety. I'm happy every day with whatever comes my way as long as I put God first of all, above all else, in all my life.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Although sometimes warped, We all have the basics of "What is Right, and what is wrong." (Even though some opinions may vary)

This is not Rocket Science, it is simple fact. Someone else's opinion, maybe different, but who are we to judge if it is needed in a Grander Scheme?

So for me "Doing God's Will", is as simple as. "Doing what I ought to do, Because I Want to do it."

Not only Right from Wrong, but also Unconditionally, for no further gains than, "Doing His Will."

An example would be like "Walking a lady across the street, in the rain, getting soaking wet." Not just because it is the Right thing to do, but also doing it in the Right Frame of Mind and Spirit. Leaving any Self Gain out of it, (it's just walking across the street).

Being in Contact with others, on similar Paths, helps keep me in tune with "What I believe God would want me to do" While at the same time, possibly carry the message every now and then.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Someone else's opinion, maybe different, but who are we to judge if it is needed in a Grander Scheme?

I agree. What I quoted below is from your post on the other thread. I see that you are projecting your experience on others. And that is what got all this started.

Be careful, I have been down (this) a very similar Road. 10 Years of Regular Meetings, at 12 years started skipping many, At 15 years stopped al together, at 17 years I was drinking again. Back in the doors at 26 years with a whole different outlook.

I do mundane stuff everyday. Its funny that we spent 25 to 30 odd years drinking and suddenly we get hung up on doing Gods will. For me its the AAs pledge. When someone reaches out for help, I will be glad to help them. Every morning I wake up with greetings from a 24 year old on the other side of the world (on whatsup). Here we I have one guy who is balking and couple of other guys doing the deal. And Sundays I take an AA meeting into the correction facility along with another AA buddy. We have to remember this is an avocation. The forwards talk about it. Perhaps after my retirement, God will open up more opportunities for me.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 pm

avocation

Is very Lightly Worded. Without the "Way Out described in the BB, I would not have a Family, Home, Job, Sanity. I have been there done that. Perhaps why I sometimes place Meetings ahead of nights at home with the Family, take time off work to talk with someone in need. Because if I were still active, I probably wouldn't have the option anyways.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to Discussions