9th step promises!

For recovery discussion

9th step promises!

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 am

Been reading and hearing the 9th step promises. It suddenly (lol) caught my eyes the word suddenly.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

That is a moment of awakening, we all have. The desire to drink is not there anymore. It gets lifted suddenly as we work through the steps. And then there are other suddens looking back. Those twists and turns were always there. Only I didn't see it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: 9th step promises!

Postby kdub720 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 am

Yes, Suddenly.
I then realized. This goes great with what I read yesterday about Jesus dying for our sins. Suddenly you realize that sin is inevatable and God ransomed our sin so we may live free. Suddenly this hit me. Suddenly seeing the freedom from alcohol. This has been a big struggle for me the desire to drink has not really left over the years, then suddenly it did. Great post. Got me thinking again.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Wiganman » Mon May 15, 2017 12:41 pm

avaneesh912 wrote: It gets lifted suddenly as we work through the steps. .

As I like to point out to newcomers ... these are great promises, but they are the step nine promises. In other words, if you get to step 9 and do what is suggested you will experience these promises. That should work as an incentive.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon May 15, 2017 1:04 pm

In other words, if you get to step 9 and do what is suggested you will experience these promises. That should work as an incentive.

This is quite true, but often we find many of these coming to pass even before step 9, especially the desire to drink being lifted. We must then try to convince those who feel some of the later steps are not essential, that by following the AA program life gets better and better, we never stop practicing the program, and I believe we never stop getting more and more out of it. I took about a one year 'rest' after step 5 myself, because I thought I was in good shape, but after pressing on with the rest I realized I had only scratched the surface, I like this part in the book -
 He is not so unbalanced as they might think. Many of us have experienced dad's elation. We have indulged in spiritual intoxication. Like a gaunt prospector, belt drawn in over the ounce of food, our pick struck gold. Joy at our release from a lifetime of frustration knew no bounds. Father feels he has struck something better than gold. For a time he may try to hug the new treasure to himself. He may not see at once that he has barely scratched a limitless lode which will pay dividends only if he mines it for the rest of his life and insists on giving away the entire product.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:44 pm

The original intent of my post was not to convey that we will experience the promises without work on our part. I was just intrigued by the use of the word "suddenly". What I should have said is, as we work through the steps and keep working at it, "Suddenly", many truths get revealed/realized.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm

My Sponsor had me reading 83-86 at night, 86-88 every morning at 2 months. These pages contain the Promises, and not that I had any of them at that time, they were something to look forward to. They did gradually start to appear as I worked through the rest of the pages.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

That is a moment of awakening, we all have. The desire to drink is not there anymore. It gets lifted suddenly as we work through the steps. And then there are other suddens looking back. Those twists and turns were always there. Only I didn't see it.

YES!

And I add... " - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will ALWAYS materialize IF we work for them."

I LOVE THE WORD ALWAYS!

Suddenly and
Always...
=smile that is my experience too!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon May 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Heya beautiful people :D I not sure whether my respose is actually with the 'right ' post but I needed to share something awesome with you all :D
We have a member in our group who still drink although he attend each and every meeting without fail. INCLUDINNG BB meetings. He holds service positions in the group, fetch and take home other members of the group - newcomers, elderly .... anyone without transport but a desire to stop drinking and attend the meeting. ...
He is an absolutely awesome human being. Kind, generous, helpful, caring. ... he is just unable to stop drinking completely. He is not 'drunk ' per se and also don't smell of alcohol at every meeting. Just occasionally.
At last night's meeting a newcomer arrived - with his own transport. It turns out our guy who haven't been able to give up drinking have been working with this newcomer in his own time without anyone of us knowing - and it must have worked since the newcomer made the effort to come to the meeting on a seriously cold and wet evening.
That made me realise once again that God works in mysterious ways. God love and use anyone to get the message through to the person who needs to hear it. In God's eyes we are worthy regardless of our 'perceived shortcomings or imperfections ' viewed through the world's eyes. God knows our truth. God even used that still suffering alcoholic to get another still suffering alcoholic to the place where he can be helped.
I am grateful tonight that I do not have to 'perfect ' to be used by God to help other also 'imperfect ' beings - whether they be alcoholics or just suffering souls looking for their way. ....
Perhaps. ... if we were supposed to be perfect we would have lived in a perfect world?
Exceptionally grateful tonight that the promises are being made visible in my life as we speak. And I don't need to be 'perfect ' in the world's eyes for this to happen as I am already perfect in the eyes of my Creator. .....
Thank you for letting me share. ...
Love and light
Noels xxxx mwah's as always. ...
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 pm

I've heard the expression "surprised by joy". I like it because it accurately describes just about every real change I've experienced in my life. I've said before that the desire to drink was removed from me after my first meeting, but I didn't really think about it or realize it until weeks late when I suddenly realized I hadn't had a thought of drinking in quite a while.

This is what I think of when I read this passage. When I successfully focus on applying the principles in my life, I regularly have moments when I suddenly realize that I've completely forgotten about some issue that had been troubling me. Imagine that. When I focus on the solution, my problems get solved. I don't have to beat them to death. I can just turn them over, do the right thing, and be surprised by joy all over again.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions