Best city in the USA for a 90 day recovery

For recovery discussion

Re: Best city in the USA for a 90 day recovery

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 am

Living sober must occur whether you live in Hong Kong or US. It is up to us to either work the program and make sure the wheels STAY on, or let our spiritual condition deteriorate and watch the wheels come off. Where we live is not the problem. I suspect that you just want to come home. Almost all cities and small towns have many AA meetings.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby phs455 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 am

Spirit Flower wrote:Living sober must occur whether you live in Hong Kong or US. It is up to us to either work the program and make sure the wheels STAY on, or let our spiritual condition deteriorate and watch the wheels come off. Where we live is not the problem. I suspect that you just want to come home. Almost all cities and small towns have many AA meetings.

I totally agree with you that changing your location does not solve the problem. But, for me going back to familiar locations, seems to create them.

I am willing to walk away from a high paying job because I don't want to die. In SE asia there are meetings, but they are few (once a week where I live)

I guess the point is is I want to put myself in a situation where I have no choice. Establish a routine, interact with others that are both in and out of the program, without any distraction.

Thank you for your kind replies
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Thu May 11, 2017 6:03 am

I agree with these posts about mental clarity of sobriety. You did leave much to the imagination and all is good as you've got to decide how to embrace sobriety and changing people, places and things is a good start as long as you aren't running from your disease as it'll grab you and seize the power.

Be well and best of success in whatever direction you decide.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 am

Hi PHS and welcome to e-aa :D Ive been following this thread and I understand what you're trying to say. Firstly, living in SE Asia at the moment, do you actually have family and friends there with you or are you simply there for work? If its not your country of birth with all your family / friend connections I cant see that it will be very difficult to leave it behind and move to the UK. Kinda starting afresh - new beginnings- this time sober :D

I have learned that it is usually in my best interest to "follow my gut" - so if you feel that is what you need to do to turn your life around please go right ahead. It is like you say - money can never replace a human life and you are worth much more than any amount of money in this world.

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby phs455 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 am

This is the location I'm looking now, Houston Tx.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 am

Houston, Texas
Intergroup Association Inc.
24 Hr Phone: (713)686-6300
Site: www. aahouston (dot) org
Oficina Interg Hisp De Houston
24 Hr Phone: (832)620-8280
Site: www. intergrupohispanohouston (dot) org
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 am

I live in Houston and Houston has great meetings. That location might be near the Delta Club, which is a very old AA club (might be alano?). Anyway, good meetings.

That close to downtown, there might be buses and trains available for transit. Bike are dangerous. But in general, Houston is a car city. Houston has good employment.
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu May 11, 2017 10:25 am

If you put in "Delta Club AA" in google maps, you can see where it is compared to you Post Oak location.
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 pm

phs455 wrote:This is the location I'm looking now, Houston Tx.

I'm sure you will find exactly the kind of AA experience you are looking for in Houston. It's really inspiring to hear from a new AA member who is ready and willing to go to any lengths to achieve sobriety.

Thanks for starting this topic! I hope you will keep coming back to share your journey with us.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 am

phs455 wrote:This is the location I'm looking now, Houston Tx.

You are going need a car because Houston is a mega city if you've never been there. But it does cater to the heat and humidity that HG has and you can find meetings and other outlets to keep you occupied.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby phs455 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:03 am

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I decided on the Delta Club in Houston for 4 months. I have already booked my airfare, Air BNB, and factored in all other expenses in CASH, as it would be easy to use a credit card, just paid my balance in full.

I created a reminders list of some things such as:

2 meetings a day
Socially interact with people outside of meetings
At least 10 miles a day on bike.
2 hours gym
Quit smoking

amongst others.

I have been in recovery several times.

To answer some questions, I have no real friends in Asia, plenty of people I acquaint with like to party. I have been passed out on the floor with major CEO's over here.

I do know all too well that wherever I am, there I will be. So, I made sure I booked a condo within walking distance to the Delta Club, and if I screw that up, what does that say about me?

I have found that being close to my family, I do not drink. By close I mean I can fly to see them at any time in the USA.

I have chosen Houston because I've never been there, will know nobody, hence it's all on me.

Thank you all for your feedback.
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 am

Put "get a sponsor" on your list. And axxholes make good sponsors because they don't take your crap.
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby phs455 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 am

Spirit Flower wrote:Put "get a sponsor" on your list. And axxholes make good sponsors because they don't take your crap.

Done :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi phs455.

Good to hear from you again.

I like your list! When do you arrive in Houston?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby desypete » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 am

Brock wrote:
How about we let him walk in the door before shooting down his plan?

If we feel based on our experience that he may be walking in the wrong door, or with too high expectations, and spending a lot of time and money doing so, we have a duty to speak up.

your duty seems to be trying to get them to run away before they ever have a chance

i did 90 meetings in 90 days infact i did more as i did 2 meetings a day for ages as it was the only place i felt safe
now during those 90 meetings in 90 days guess what happend ?

i heard about a book, i heard about a sponsor,i heard about the steps, and i heard all about me so that i was able to fully identify myself as an alcoholic. but the best thing was for 90 days i was sober and in 90 days my brain was starting to clear up out of the drunken fog, and of course i got hope that maybe just maybe there might be a way here for me to end the madness of my life

today i have done thousands of meetings and still keep on coming back. thanks to those early members who kept it all so simple for me, i mean any idiot can do 90 meetings in 90
its a target to aim for and to give new comers a chance at staying sober enough to hear what else is on offer in aa
same as living for one day at a time or trying to get through a day without picking up that first drink

i dont know anyone in aa who came to there first meeting did the steps found god and went home happy full of god and no desire to drink
but i know plenty of aa members who had to come to there first meeting and keep on coming back until some pennies would start to sink in

90 meetings in 90 days was the best bit of information i got in my first meeting along with do not pick up that first drink, and it started the road to my recovery
desypete
Forums Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions