Best city in the USA for a 90 day recovery

For recovery discussion

Best city in the USA for a 90 day recovery

Postby phs455 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello,

I am a US citizen who has been working in SE Asia for the past 10 years.

Im looking to come to the USA to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

My requirements are:

1. Should be a city where I can get around easily on foot or by public transportation.
2. Should be relatively In-expensive as I plan to sublet on airbnb a studio for 3 months.
3. Should have plenty of meetings nearby

I don't care where in the USA.

Thank you for your time.
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Re: Best city in the USA for a 90 day recovery

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 am

Welcome phs! I am sure others will come around soon to post their suggestions.

I live in District 8, Area 24 in Iowa. We have 4 meetings a day, everyday around the city. The cost of living and the crime rates are low. Most importantly, we always suggest getting a sponsor and working the Steps to gain the spiritual experience promised in the 12 Step. Further, we talk about the solution in meeting, using only conference approved literature. :D

Any place in the US or Canada, as well as many country outside the US will be found through links on the AA GSO website: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Good luck. Look for the people who are talking about the Steps and the Solution and you will find the people who do that rarely fail.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed May 10, 2017 1:56 am

Big US cities have many AA meetings at many times during the day in many locations. If you look at a schedule and see that many meetings are held at one address during the day, then that would be easiest. But public transportation can vary alot. I'd look at city web sites. East or west coastal cities maybe better for transit but more expensive for living. Texas is great for cost of living but not transit. Canada is better for transit.

I've lived kn Kansas City and Houston. In both places it is possible to get an apartment near an AA club and also near a grocery store; and you could walk to both. But you'd otherwise need a car to easily get around.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 am

Sacramento, CA has tons of meetings everyday and good public transportation.

In Sacramento proper, there are 46 meetings today. Even more if you count outlying areas.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:59 am

Key is what you going to do after? Hope you don't think you are going to be fixed in 90 days! There is work to be done and continued working of the 12 steps after you get out of the rehab facilities.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 am

I don't even live in the US, but still have a couple of suggestions and points to consider.

If you are paying the airfare yourself, the cost of travel can vary greatly depending on which part of the US you choose. Every area has a listing of groups and meetings, and just Goggling the area and words like 'ground transport,' can reveal much information on how you will get around to them.

You seem to have this 90 in 90 firmly in mind, I never was a fan of such a thing myself, and the best explanation I usually see for doing it is that it occupies the time, so we find something to do when we might normally be drinking. But keep that in mind, if you go to a strange city and are without people you know, even if you went to several meetings a day, you will have a lot of potentially boring free time on your hands.

I am just worried as avaneesh indicated, this 90 meetings business is not a fix or guarantee, meetings and people may help, but otherwise it's an inside job. And anyone who really wants sobriety can find it, a big book and a you tube workshop, is what I found more helpful than many of the meetings I attended. Even consider what a rehab would cost, instead of renting a place, buying food, transport and so forth, you might just find a month in rehab not any more expensive.

Please keep us posted on your progress and any questions you may have, and best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 am

How about we let him walk in the door before shooting down his plan?
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 am

phs455 wrote:Im looking to come to the USA to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

My requirements are:

1. Should be a city where I can get around easily on foot or by public transportation.
2. Should be relatively In-expensive as I plan to sublet on airbnb a studio for 3 months.

Hi. Any major city in the US meets criteria 1 and 3 (if you're actually inside the city). For item 2, what's "relatively"? I guess one of the southern States, or midwest. I suspect NYC and LA have the most-abundant AA resources, but they're not the cheapest of places to live.

I'm unclear. What are you planning to do on day 91? IME 90 in 90 was barely enough to get me through the AA door and familiar with the local fellowship - which was no longer my local fellowship when I relocated. I've relocated several times in sobriety, and each time it's a matter of having to get settled in again. I don't think I could have done that at just 90 days sober, I needed some sort of physical stability for almost a year as I got better.

Of course, if your plan is to stay after the 90 days, the timeline itself is not an issue. You'll also not be putting pressure on yourself to be at a certain stage by a certain date. But meanwhile, I recommend getting embedded in online resources such as this whereby my physical location is not such an issue... I can take e-AA anywhere I want.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Brock » Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am

If we feel based on our experience that he may be walking in the wrong door, or with too high expectations, and spending a lot of time and money doing so, we have a duty to speak up.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am

I feel based on my experience if advice is given that is not appropriate to the moment or situation, that I have a duty to speak up.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Dont we ask the new comer, is he willing to go to any lengths to get it? Why are we not telling them the fact? I didn't even say don't go. I just warned him, that hope he is not thinking he will be fixed after 90 days.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi phs455

Welcome to the e-aa forums.

90 meetings in 90 days is a great way to start your recovery! I struggled with staying sober and relapsed often for almost two years after I first got sober in AA. All that changed when I finally became willing to follow the advice of AA old timers and committed to doing the "90 in 90" using AA's 24 hour plan. It worked!

I was born, raised and got sober in southern California so if you don't care where in the US, I would recommend anywhere in either the Los Angeles or Orange counties' areas. Both have good public transportation.

Both L.A. and Orange County have a large network of 12 Step sober living group homes which are either free or the rent is based on ability to pay. I would suggest that you call the central office hotline in each county and ask to speak to a sober alcoholic, tell him what your plan is and ask about housing recommendations. If you have health insurance, there are many more fancy housing plans available that your insurance carrier will likely cover since all of these options are considered rehab facilities.

L.A. and Orange County combined have about 8,000 AA meetings a week to choose from in just about every language and meeting format.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby phs455 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Just to give you some history. Im 38.

When I was 33 I went to a rehab that was 30k/mo for 30 days. I remained sober for around 60 days.

Last year I really got serious I have a great sponsor and completed the 12 steps, flew home for 90 days, made amends where I could and had no desire to drink at all.

Then, back to work in Hong Kong and wheels slowly came off.

I'm at the point now on want to re-integrate in the USA, get a job in the USA, and do something more meaningful with my life.

I don't want to go to a familiar place, I want to force myself to be more social, get a routine and stick to it.

Thank you for your feedback.
phs455
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 am

Welcome and I know all about the overseas lifestyle as I was drunk and sober in Asia and I hit meetings in HG, Singapore, Australia, and home turf Yokohama Japan and it saved my hide to know meetings existed. About the US, any city that has a large and assessable public transit would fit your requirements, next is the job and you should have some things in order before you jump as I see it because expectations can be highly over-rated.

Work is only part of life and the rest is on us and so this new location should have plenty of alcohol-free kinds of things you may want to do. Hiking, water sports, sports in general, museums, and or some kinds of cultural things education if that is open to your needs. Weather is another thing as if it is raining all the time then you might get into a funk and drink again and if it is too sunny and perfect it could yield the same results. So balance in these things would be a good fit. Lastly whatever you decide I would highly suggest that you don't hide behind any thing in order to cope. In rehab we live in a perfect world of protection as you may recall. Once out into the world again we have no rules except what we allow to distract our efforts to remain sober.

I hope your decisions will pin point a place you can start and have a lot of success in sobriety and in your chosen career.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:05 am

Then, back to work in Hong Kong and wheels slowly came off.

We are allowed to enjoy this state of mind, as long as we keep fit spiritual condition. What it means is, when I let my guard down, I get back into the old way of thinking and which eventually will lead to a state of restlessness, irritability and discontedness. And then eventually to that insidious first drink.

Probably you can relate.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to Discussions