Felt like a moron after my share today

For recovery discussion

Re: Felt like a moron after my share today

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:02 pm

[/quote]
desypete wrote:today i accept i am a moron daily :D

Me tooooooo Desypete!!!

DUCKDOG....
Learn to laugh at yourself. I can't count the times that I have shared in meetings the most idiotic things!!! And the looks on people's faces says it all!! :lol:
But you know what? It's ok. I am learning not to take myself so seriously. I TRY to remember to share about my problems as they relate to alcoholism and about the solution (if I know the solution). I guarantee that SOMEONE will relate to something you share.

You're not perfect, you silly moron!! But you are precious!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RyanjSp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm

I've stopped mid sentence mouth still open many times over the years and then just said 'Anyways, that's all I've got." You get used to it.

As an asides, noones ever yet said, "Please, keep going!"
"No Ryan, the cake business is over. They will never ever trust you with the cake again."
RyanjSp
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Cristy99 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:37 am

Congratulations Duckdog, on 3.5 months sober and for sharing at an AA meeting.

We all know the feeling of being new and trying like hell to fit in and trying to read other peoples minds, always coming up with that negative view of what we THINK others are thinking of us. :)

Don't worry and STOP beating yourself up.....you are one among many and trust me, WE have all been where you are at! You did good, you stayed sober, you showed up at an AA meeting, and you shared where you came from, how you got here and what its like now. We don't share to get anyone else sober, we share so that we ourselves walk away sober, whether others do or not. :)

You are NOT a moron, you are a wonderful human being who is taking the actions on a daily basis to stay sober and to give away what was given to you. Its time to realize that its Progress and not Perfection..... and all you have to do is not drink, keep coming, be honest, open minded and willing...... and then pass it on. Again, Congrats on 3.5 months sober....Way To Go!!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Cristy99 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:05 am

JOHNDANIELS......Hannibal "the Cannibal" Lector!!!! :lol:
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JohnDaniels » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Cristy99 wrote:JOHNDANIELS......Hannibal "the Cannibal" Lector!!!! :lol:

Hey Cristy,

I was hungry that day. :lol:
JohnDaniels
Trusted Servant

Postby ladyfriend2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 am

I always second guess anything I share. I have to tell myself, over and over again,something an old timer told me years ago, in my first attempt at sobriety: when I walk into a meeting, I need say nothing, or everything, about me, it doesn't matter. AA folk already know me, because they already lived it.
With that planted in my mind, sharing has less second guessing.
But I just might be the Lunatic you're lookin' for!
ladyfriend2
Forums Newcomer

Postby cristis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm

As someone who didn't go so far in his drinking days, I must say some of the stories there shocked me as well. I felt both compassion and fear when the guy or the girl with that horrific story was staying just few feet from me.

1) I heard one teenager, after Court order with his mom there, talking about a very violent episode. He was still very angry, I was afraid he might become violent right away.

2) First share I heard was from a young girl two chairs from mine. She was after a wild night with both coke and alcohol, she was still heavily under influence.

3) One other older lady had big anger management issues during her abstinence. The f word was almost in every sentence and I was afraid at some point she will smash something.

4) A lot of other people were there after a Court order and one or several days in jail.
And I could go on and on...

I say this because I understand the original poster: when some people went too far and share, not everyone around can act as in a movie. I'm one of those more lucky alcoholics. But when I hear and feel people with deep problems, I might get worried as well. I am not used to these extremes and you have no idea when someone can go again over the bord in a meeting, that's how I felt. Many people at AA are simply unpredictable.
cristis
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Many people at AA are simply unpredictable.

They say in AA, some are sicker than others. Its a journey each one takes. Some awaken quick, some slowly, some never.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby JaxNeil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Many people at AA are simply unpredictable.

They say in AA, some are more sicker than others. Its a journey each one takes. Some awaken quick, some slowly, some never.

Some of them drink just to socialize.
Last edited by JaxNeil on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaxNeil
Forums Newcomer

Postby desypete » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am

JaxNeil wrote:
avaneesh912 wrote:Many people at AA are simply unpredictable.

They say in AA, some are sicker than others. Its a journey each one takes. Some awaken quick, some slowly, some never.

Some of them drink just to socialize.

how very true
i have felt in the rooms at times i wonder why the person who might be sharing came to aa as if i had there problem with drink i wouldn't be there i know that is wrong thinking on my part but its still the thought that hits me when i hear them share

i just end up thinking to myself well they have come along before all the dangers hit them which is good but they again seem to have that one missing link for me and its the power of taking that first drink, it just doesn't seem to have that effect on them as it would me
desypete
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to Discussions