Humility

For recovery discussion

Humility

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:29 am

I was at the 12 and 12 step study and thought what a great explanation.

Another great dividend we may expect from confiding our defects to another human being is humility-a word often misunderstood. To those who hva made progress in AA, it amounts to clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Humility

Postby positrac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:32 am

A very workable definition on progress and not perfection. Been a lot of talk in the community about people who are exploiting sobriety as a means to make a quick buck with 1/2 way houses and thinking that if this idea works they are on easy street. Then they relapse, lose sight of ethics, heing and sheing with vulnerable people barely sober and wondering why they relapsed and are hurting other peoples chance at something good. To Thy Own Self be True is one our coins and chips for a reason and it is meant to protect us in our journey.

Might be a wee extreme although humility comes in many forms and none of us know when it'll just show up in our lives.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 am

Beautiful Ava, thanks for sharing that.
xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I prefer just the dictionary definition of words. I find there's often confusion between "humility" and "humiliation". 2 similar words with completely different meaning.

Here's a helpful clue: If you're coming out of a drunken stupor with your underpants wrapped around one leg and wondering why people are looking down on you with a mixture of horror, anger, and pity ... what you're feeling is not humility.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 pm

:D :D :D Bwahahaha....now this image will remain in my mind this entire Thursday. :lol: the worst is it won't stay with the given image. It's already wondering what happened before and soon gonna wonder about the 'after ' :lol: You're right though Blue. Big difference. Hopefully like before and after :D
Thanks for an enjoyable start to my day :lol:
Mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Blue Moon wrote:I prefer just the dictionary definition of words. I find there's often confusion between "humility" and "humiliation". 2 similar words with completely different meaning.

Here's a helpful clue: If you're coming out of a drunken stupor with your underpants wrapped around one leg and wondering why people are looking down on you with a mixture of horror, anger, and pity ... what you're feeling is not humility.

Thanks for clarifying the difference!

ROFLMAO...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:16 am

Blue Moon wrote:I prefer just the dictionary definition of words. I find there's often confusion between "humility" and "humiliation". 2 similar words with completely different meaning.

I've never been in that situation "yet" Hope I never am, although I would think it would suck to be him and or her.......
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Humility requiers self reflection and an understanding of personal struggles and the understanding of all others struggles as equal to your own. Humility is a trait of the most wise. Nice topic
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:24 am

avaneesh912 wrote:To those who have made progress in AA, it amounts to clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be.]

There was a great amount of humility for me in the first part of that quote... I found humility when I became properly armed with facts about myself. It was quite necessary to have an inventory of what I was working with so that I could bring some reality to bear upon what I could be.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby MGunnell1 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 am

Keep trying, you can make it.
Last edited by MGunnell1 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
MGunnell1
Forums Newcomer

Postby desypete » Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 am

positrac wrote:

I've never been in that situation "yet" Hope I never am, although I would think it would suck to be him and or her.......

i have been in that situation and worse many many times
the horror of waking up the next day, the guilt the shame and remorse and the trying to hide away from people if they knew what i did the night before

well thankfully those days are over but just so long as i dont pick up that first drink of course, as if i dont pick up that first drink i can not get drunk and i will not end up in that situation again its so simple yet i could never ever have thought of it
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am

ezdzit247 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the difference!

ROFLMAO...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is hilarious!

I believe humility is when I became teachable. The point when I was willing to let go of the past and crawl thru 5 miles of broken glass on my hands and knees to find an answer and a way of life in AA.
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am

positrac wrote:A very workable definition on progress and not perfection. Been a lot of talk in the community about people who are exploiting sobriety as a means to make a quick buck with 1/2 way houses and thinking that if this idea works they are on easy street. Then they relapse, lose sight of ethics, heing and sheing with vulnerable people barely sober and wondering why they relapsed and are hurting other peoples chance at something good. To Thy Own Self be True is one our coins and chips for a reason and it is meant to protect us in our journey.

Might be a wee extreme although humility comes in many forms and none of us know when it'll just show up in our lives.

in my early years when i got sober or the term used is super sober, i thought i had the answers for everyone, i could save the world from the perils of drink

i hit on the idea that i could be a councillor and make a living out of helping people and that would count as my step 12 work, until an old timer delivered a well timed kick up my backside ( my road on recovery has had many swift kicks up my backside )

anyway it was pointed out to me that aa and the people in aa gave me there time and effort for free !!!! there is no charge to working the 12th step and it was just me trying to make a quid buck for my own greedy ends, and also that my help would not be sincere as the clock would be ticking for the money i could make rather than a real deep desire to help

so i gave up my idea of being the next dr phil and set about just helping anyone for free and boy it does pay its own rewards

today i see others going after a professional pay check with the same big ideas i once had and today i am in a position to try to pass on that swift kick up the backside =biggrin or to put it another way help them to maybe look at it in a different light
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions