"Be still, and know that I am God."

For recovery discussion

"Be still, and know that I am God."

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 pm

I read this at from the story "Me an alcoholic". I thought, man what a profound statement. To be still, I have to clean up. With all the resentments, fear and relationship issues, I will not be able to experience GOD and thats what the reminder of the 12 steps does for us, "stills our mind". And as we start fixing the past, we start building more faith.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: "Be still, and know that I am God."

Postby clouds » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:22 am

Its the same for me. I can't "be still" unless I can be ok with myself, which for me just means being honest with myself asking, "is there anything bothering me atm?". If there is something bothering me, I need to check off the list of defects, hmm self pity, selfish, resentment, fear? Ask to have it removed. Then there is the stillness. The present moment is always 'still' if the defects are gone. So simple.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't know, but a Bible quote as a thread title in an AA forum seems off... Is it mentioned in a story in the BB which you can quote the page?
Maybe change the title or move to the place where we take up discussions other than alcohol, If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 pm

The OP's first words were -
I read this at from the story "Me an alcoholic".

The story is in the 3rd edition of the Big Book and the words in the thread title appear on page 437, it's in relation to the person finding their higher power. So maybe we don't take it as a bible quote, since it's also a quote from approved AA literature.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah, we don't have to worry about this, because its from the back of the book. This is the end of his story:

More over, I am deeply convinced that so long as I continue to strive, in my humbling way, toward the principles I first encountered in the earlier chapters of this book, this remarkable power will continue to flow through me. What is this power? With my A.A. friends, all I can say is that it's a power greater than myself. If pressed further, all I can do is follow the psalmist who said it long, long before me: "Be still, and know that I am God."
My story has a happy ending, but not of the conventional kind. I had a lot more hell to go through. But what a difference there is between going through hell without a power greater than one's self, and with it! As might have been predicted, my teetering tower of worldly success collapsed. My alcoholic associates fired me, took control, and ran the enterprise into bankruptcy. My alcoholic wife took up someone else, divorced me, and took with her all my remaining property. The most terrible blow of my life befell me after I'd found sobriety through A.A. Perhaps the single flicker of decency that shone through the fog of my drinking days was a clumsy affection for my two children, a boy and a girl. One night my son, when he was only sixteen, was suddenly and tragically killed. The Higher Power was on deck to see me through, sober. I think He's on hand to see my son through, too. I think He's on hand to see all of us through whatever may come to us.

There have been some wonderful things, too. My new wife and I don't own any property to speak of, and the flashy successes of another day are no longer mine. But we have a baby who, if you'll pardon a little post-alcoholic sentimentality, is right out of Heaven. My work is on a much deeper and more significant level than it ever was before, and I am today a fairly creative, relatively sane human being. And should I have more bad times, I know that I'll never again have to go through them alone.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks Ava, that sure is beautiful.
Mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 am

Ahhh - I have a 4th Edition BB. So thanks for the heads up.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

on the 4th its there in the "They stopped in time" segment on page 382
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby butterfly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 pm

As part of my daily 11th step work, I mediate to this as follows:

Be still, and know that I am God;
Be still, and know that I am;
Be still, and know;
Be still;
Be.

Also, anything about God should be included in this forum, isn't a God of our understanding and choosing, the Solution? Have I missed something?
butterfly
Forums Newcomer

Postby Nellie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 am

One of my favourite Psalms. Beautiful and just what I needed to read this morning. Thank you :)
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly".
Nellie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Barbara D. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 am

I am not religious. I am free-loading on my kids while I look for a house to buy in a seller's market. It's been 4 weeks; I've rejected two email pictures, and I still haven't been to a showing. My kids are Christians and my son's Christian in-laws came to visit for Easter weekend. Nobody bothers me. But the opening of religious Easter eggs at every supper began to get on my nerves. I wanted to argue or point out other interpretations. The thought actually passed through my mind about how my 4 grandchildren were being brainwashed. This is not like me. I am usually "live and let live" as a result of what I have learned in this program.

So, in my present state of mind, it's not a surprise that this subject-title offended me. And doing this mini-inventory on it just reminds me who I am and how I value all the great spiritual principles found in the religious writings all over the world. I am so thankful that the 12 Steps can work for all drunks, religious and non-religious! I believe spiritual principles are universal. And I love silence...even more now with the 1 year old and 4 year old competing to see who can scream the loudest and take over Mommy's attention...

Send good vibes. Love, Barbara
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 am

Mee too Barbara. "Love & Tolerance of others is our Code."

And we have a new baby coming - she may be here NOW as Mommy is having a C-sect as I write here. I will have the toddlers off & on over the next couple of days - sharing time with the other Gma. Oh and I have a new puppy. :wink:

But we can't talk about puppies in AA... :lol: :lol:
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 am

PaigeB wrote:Mee too Barbara. "Love & Tolerance of others is our Code."

And we have a new baby coming - she may be here NOW as Mommy is having a C-sect as I write here. I will have the toddlers off & on over the next couple of days - sharing time with the other Gma. Oh and I have a new puppy. :wink:

But we can't talk about puppies in AA... :lol: :lol:

I agree as puppies have been known to be slippery slope topics..... But I wonder about kittens?

Congrats on the newest arrival in your clan, and I hope and wish well for the future with this new little person. Grandparents do have some nice rewards I am finding and I could list them and parents might not totally agree; but since life is revolving I can promise most likely those parents will see the light and then agree with my thoughts on grandparents. :lol:
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Nice Quote.
I think it means to not stress and to trust as our problems are in the lords hands. I like this style of thought. Thanks for the words.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Latin of be still is 'vacate': I like that, take a holiday from playing God!
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions