Do you ever feel better?

For recovery discussion

Re: Do you ever feel better?

Postby Mike O » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:49 am

I achieved and still maintain sobriety through A.A. without attending a single meeting other than online. I have been sober for almost 10 years. I have no interest in drinking - something which I'd have considered inconceivable 10 years ago.
:D

So, lack of ability to attend face to face meetings is NOT a barrier, unless you allow it to be.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Busanteacher9 wrote:
I'm not sure if AA is for me. I have been reading the stories and I feel like I am different from other people here... except that I have a drinking problem. The struggle is real. And I'm fighting this alone. I don't know if I can do ithat for much longer. As long as I make it through tonight without giving in.

what stories are you reading? the stories in the big book?

roughly 7 billion people on the earth. millions of them are recovered alcoholics. youre going to say youre unique after reading a few stories?

drinking is a symptom of deeper problems. you have absolutely no problems internally? youre comfortable in your own skin?

in theearly days of aa, there werent many meetings in the u.s. people were recovering by reading the big book and putting the suggestions into action.
they those people started meetings in the area they lived. thats how aa meetings spread.
maybe youcould do the same? im sure there are more just like you in your area.

keep fighting! getting sober was the hardest thing ive ever done-harder than fighting cancer.
staying sober has been easy.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby clouds » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 am

hi teach, I'm also keeping sober without meetings. Wherever I live, if there are meeting I go to them, but for the most part over 7 years now there have not been any established AA meetings. What we were able to do is start a 12 step meeting open to anyone who wants to use the 12 steps for any addiction or problem. Its an open meeting and not affiliated with any other causes, so anyone; drug addict, overeater, alcoholic would be welcome to participate. This way we might actually get a few interested people! We live in small communities where AA isn't visable, at least as far as we have seen. AA does have meetings in most towns in the U.S. and Canada, but in Europe meetings are usually mostly in the really big cities. I haven't found its a block to my sobriety that there are no AA meetings, but have to acknowledge that the first 20 or so years of sobriety I did have access to a few meeting a week and in early sober days I asked someone who had been sober for several years to show me exactly how they did the 12 steps and to guide me through them, especially steps 3, 5, 8and 9 were ones that for me needed a lot of one on one encouragement and support.

You can do this! I too suggest the AA speakers on youtube and the Chuck and Charlie tapes as intro to the steps. You can find individuals here at e-AA who can guide you. I think you are deep into Step One now and the first few chapters in the AA book can help you there.

Happy to know you are getting sober one day at a time, great stuff.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:19 am

I'm not sure if AA is for me. I have been reading the stories and I feel like I am different from other people here... except that I have a drinking problem. The struggle is real.

Try reading the Dr. Opinion in the front of the book. I found out that I had a disease. Then I had to decide how I wanted to get help in treating that disease.

You can get in touch with USA/Canada GSO about their International/Loners AA program!
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/contact-i ... ional-desk

They will get back to you. If you don't get an email real quick, check your junk mail!

Also here is info on So. Korea AA
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources/world/1
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:22 pm

JOE and Charlie tapes as intro to the steps
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions