Mental state that precedes a relapse!

For recovery discussion

Re: Mental state that precedes a relapse!

Postby bbqking » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 am

RosieF wrote:any strong emotion leading to stress and anxiety which is followed by desperate need to disassociate myself from people and feelings - this is what will drive me to pick up.

Has been my downfall many many many times.

Two things: reducing my exposure to high stress / anxiety when possible and when it's unavoidable dealing with them in a healthy manner is what I've worked on.

Some things that helped me: meditation, spiritual fitness, helping others, exercise, writing, talking to others, praying, getting adequate sleep, healthy eating, personal inventory, making amends, steps, journals, reading

Being sober and making better decisions has led to less stress in a lot of ways, and I have better coping strategies now too.

I don't hit that mental state where the desire for a drink becomes overwhelming and all consuming like it had in the past. I know that mental state well, if I get there, things won't go well for me. I have to maintain vigilance and awareness in times of higher stress to stay healthy, or bad things happen.
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Postby SoberInMI » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 am

avaneesh912 wrote:The book, before getting into the stories in the chapter "More about alcoholism" talks about "the mental states that precedes a relapse into drinking" for it says "obviously that is the crux of the problem:

How then shall we help our readers determine, to their own satisfaction, whether they are one of us? The experiment of quitting for a period of time will be helpful, but we think we can render an even greater service to alcoholic sufferers and perhaps to the medical fraternity. So we shall describe some of the mental states that precede a relapse into drinking, for obviously this is the crux of the problem.

What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats time after time the desperate experiment of the first drink? Friends who have reasoned with him after a spree which has brought him to the point of divorce or bankruptcy are mystified when he walks directly into a saloon. Why does he? Of what is he thinking?

Its so different from what you hear in the meetings today, they share as though the new-comer has a choice in drink. Totally alien to what is in the book.

In determining for ones self if they are one of us, the Big Book offers the experiment to stop drinking suddenly after a few drinks, but at least the 3rd and 4th edition provides a better solution. One of the stories talks about identifying, finding what you have in common, rather than comparing, finding the differences.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the first line of the 5th chapter indicates that as practicing members of AA, we need not concern ourselves about our mental state just before a relapse because a relapse shouldn't happen (though we all know they do and this answers why): "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." So if the newcomer, or even a veteran, finds himself/herself in that mental state, the answer is to work the program more thoroughly.
SoberInMI
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:49 am

I talk about the mental twist because many in the fellowship talk just about the powerlessness after we take the first step.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am

As is our usual standard of operation, this thread is being closed at 5 pages.

Thanks avaneesh for summing it up for us!

Everyone - please feel free to start a new thread on this topics - or any topic you wish to share on!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions