Big Book Homework

For recovery discussion

Re: Big Book Homework

Postby tomsteve » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am

D'oh wrote:Hey, everyone one has there own Program.

EXACTLY!
and mine got me to the doors of AA.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:43 am

This thread made me remember one of the previous times I wanted to stop drinking. I actually went into a clinic to have the medication adjusted that I used to be on but knowing I enjoyed alcohol way too much I was simultaneously placed in the addict section.
In the clinic a meeting was held every night. One night an AA meeting, the following night an NA meeting and the third night we were accompanied to an outside AA meeting. Every activity was compulsory so unless you were in withdrawal your attendance was not negotiable.
I remember the clinic meetings wasn’t bad although I preferred the NA meetings to the AA meetings. Both though were interesting but I found that members attending the NA meetings was a lot more open in their shares. They were younger members but even the older members were very much down to earth.
After 2 weeks I was “ allowed “ to go to the outside AA meeting and I was so excited. Really looking forward to this meeting for not only was it the first time I was allowed out (under supervision obviously), but I was going to finally meet the people who manage to stay sober outside of the walls of hospitals, prisons and other institutions.
Boy was I disappointed. What a let down! We got there and apart from 1 person smiling at our group we were very much ignored. No handshakes, no warmth, just really lousy coffee. The coffee table was outside and it was winter at that time so the water wasn’t exactly steaming. Looking back and reading and hearing comments about still suffering alcoholics who just came from rehabs attending meetings I can only assume that we were looked at in the same way at that time.
I thought oh well, its probably just because they don’t know us. I can understand if people have been in a group for a while that there will be a “ better “ bond between them than when people who they don’t know rocks up. Sweet, naïve lil Noels.
Anyways to cut a long story short. The meeting was awful. It was boring, nobody spoke or shared or did much apart from introducing themselves. There were no smiles like at the meetings in the clinic. Just a bunch of boring old people who looked and felt grumpy and miserable. I looked at this lot and thought to myself – “well, if THIS is what they’ve got, they can keep it thank you”. I was glad when the meeting was done and I could get out of there.
For a couple of months after my hospital discharge I attended the NA meetings at the clinic. I couldn’t find NA meetings closer to home and eventually the travelling got too much so we stopped going. There was AA meetings closer to home but I didn’t even bother attending those as I most definitely didn’t want to become grumpy, old and miserable.
It took me a few more years of suffering until I was ready to give AA a try again.
I guess the motivation for writing this very long “memo” is to suggest we always remain flexible. Words I like to use is “nothing in life is ever written/set in stone” and especially since there are really young people these days suffering from alcohol and other addictions we don’t ever want to put them off possibly recovering sooner rather than later because we have become a bunch of joyless, set in our way old farts. I hear the words “If you want what I have” so often but action to me speaks much louder than words. I am grateful and happy to be an older, exceptionally joyous recovering alcoholic with an open mind.

Love and Light
mwah Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:10 pm

tomsteve wrote:
D'oh wrote:Hey, everyone one has there own Program.

EXACTLY!
and mine got me to the doors of AA.

Perhaps D'oh means - the way we each internalize the program. That is what that means to me.

I say "underwear". Each of us has a different picture come to mind. When we try to think beyond our personal conception of what that word is we can see a vast and varied selection of things that fit within that word. All that matters is that we have each found a type that we can live comfortable with! Or maybe you are an underwear atheist!
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Perhaps D'oh means - the way we each internalize the program. That is what that means to me.

It was Page, Whether you do 1 meeting a week or a dozen, Pray on your knees or mentally chat with your HP. It is all about "Completely giving yourself to this Simple Program." The Steps and Practicing the principal in all of our affairs, the rest just comes. One Day at a Time.

I was going to write about "Be quick to see where Religious People are right, make use of what they offer." I was thinking of a Person in my life that puzzles me. Seeming Religious, but also sometimes Nasty. But in thinking of it, I cannot change them, just myself. I decided to ask for guidance with my dealings with this person more often. Thanks for the insight People.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 am

That's how I understood it also. We love you D'oh. Have an awesome day today :D
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:19 am

Seeming Religious, but also sometimes Nasty.

In the book "A New Earth" Eckhart points out the difference between religiosity and spirituality. Most of them are just in the head but dont put it to practical use. Thats the latter part. Thats what people like Richard Dawkins and other leading people talk about you don't have to have religion to be good people. Its in action. One of the guys I am working with now, spent almost the whole day searching for vacation place for his mom and calls me late in the night to tell me he didn't read the material I gave him to read and meditate upon. I told him, I get it but, we can only suggest, he has to do his part. Later we went over the material over phone it didn't even take few minutes. But we can't be baby sitting people forever. Like you said, its all about how quickly the newcomer becomes reliant upon their higher. Doing these exercises may frustrate some. Its better point to the key paragraphs in the book to convey the absolute hopless-ness of the alcoholic (without tapping into his/her higher power).
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions