Airline gave me coffee with Baileys....

For recovery discussion

Re: Airline gave me coffee with Baileys....

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:45 am

Alcoholic_Nurse wrote:an accident is an accident. if you truly had intended to relapse you would have had more than a sip or 2 of the coffee with baileys. good for you for being mindful. i also had a mishap at christmas when i popped a rum ball in my mouth then realized what it was. i asked my aunt if there were any deserts not soaked in rum. her response was that her fruitcake was soaked in brandy if i wanted any of that instead. she doesn't know i'm in recovery but i got a good chuckle out of it. cunning, baffling, and powerful can be in the form of a sweet little old lady that bakes and cooks like no ones business.

I don't mean to laugh, but that did make me chuckle! :lol:
I may be overly cautious, but I will be asking in the future about any desserts too!
Luckily my whole family knows so they wouldn't make the mistake, but never know with other folks baking goods, haha.
Thank you for your input!
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:47 am

positrac wrote:I was at a party and so I ate a chocolate covered cherry that had brandy inside and I had been sober a long time and I freaked out because I had no idea and I knew I hadn't relapsed and I left the party quietly and called my friend and told him and he said I did the right thing. I still am cautious after all these years of things and if I am not sure I just abstain to be safe. It shook me up pretty good and I had a mental screw for a couple of days on how that happened.

It gave me the feeling of extreme heat in my face and body..not a direct result of the alcohol, but the realization.
It's a really upsetting feeling :(
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby Easy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:07 pm

KYSD wrote:It gave me the feeling of extreme heat in my face and body..not a direct result of the alcohol, but the realization.
It's a really upsetting feeling :(

I think your overreaction did more harm than the two sips!
Easy
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Why does it bother you so much? More Step-work is needed, perhaps? If I have a nut allergy, I know the person sitting next to me ordered a hazelnut coffee, and someone gave me a coffee ... the onus is on me to be aware of whether the coffee I got has hazelnut in it. Nobody else would be responsible for my nut allergy, and nobody else is responsible for my sobriety.

When it comes to alcohol, with recovery we recoil as from a hot flame - if tempted. This was your reaction when not tempted. So IMO is a good learning exercise for how far we've come, and what we still need to do.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby michmjon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:43 am

I was faced with a like situation about six months ago at a restaurant. I ordered a dessert- a chocolate mousse. Nowhere on the menu did it say that the dessert was made with coffee liqueur nor did the waitress say it was when she was telling me that it was one of her favorites. I took one bite then called the waitress over and told her I could not eat the dessert and I requested to speak with the manager. He came over and I explained that I did not drink alcohol and that there are many people that don't or can't. I asked him why the menu did not say that the mousse contained alcohol and suggested that it would probably be a good idea to state this on the menu. He apologized and comped me for my meal and said he would bring it up with the owner. The last time I went back I noticed that the menu had not been changed and I again asked to speak to the manager. He remembered me and the conversation and told me that the owner felt this was unnecessary and that I should have asked if it contained alcohol. I informed the manager that I would not be dining at the restaurant again.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby clouds » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:29 am

I've lived in Europe now for a good many years, so there have been some surprises about food and alcohol content for me.

The first was chocolàtes in Italy. I finally came to the concusion that almost all chocolates around Christmas time contain liquor. I didn't have any bad experiences because the people I was with tried them first, they all were amazed at how heavily alcoholic the chocolates were! My husband even thought there was a chance he could get drunk from only a few of the things!

Next was the range of coffees. There are a few coffees that contain a spike of the stuff as well. Especially in summer the iced coffee type drinks can be of that variety. Of course Tirimisu, the famous Italian desert,is loaded. Then there are flans, flambe and even custards and crepes that have a bottle waved over them. Last year I was surprised to find wine listed as an ingredient on a jar of Foi Gras, for goodness sakes! Nobody in France or Italy thinks of mentioning alcohol content in restaurants in my experience.

I probably need to hire a food taster, until then, I just ask whoever I'm dining with to give me the heads up if anything is spiked. My abstinance from alcohol is no surprise to anyone who knows me anymore, so although I don't broadcast my membership in the fellowship unless asked in detail about how or why I don't drink, everone knows I'm a non- drinker.

I know it can be a jolt that after a few years of sobriety an innocent evening turns into a mine field. I get in the habit of smelling food before I taste it. My sense of smell is enough to give me a hint that maybe I should verify the ingredients somehow, read the lable, ask a nearby friend, or, last resort, ask the cook.

bon appetite! :D
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby michmjon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:35 am

"Next was the range of coffees. There are a few coffees that contain a spike of the stuff as well. Especially in summer the iced coffee type drinks can be of that variety. Of course Tirimisu, the famous Italian desert,is loaded. Then there are flans, flambe and even custards and crepes that have a bottle waved over them. Last year I was surprised to find wine listed as an ingredient on a jar of Foi Gras, for goodness sakes! Nobody in France or Italy thinks of mentioning alcohol content in restaurants in my experience."

With many dishes that contain alcohol, the alcohol content is "cooked out" - as it would be in a flambe - leaving the flavor of the drink with no alcohol content. I continue to enjoy foods that use alcohol as an ingredient, but only cooked foods such as beer-battered fish, or stews containing wine. I see no danger in this in threatening my sobriety.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:08 pm

I took one bite then called the waitress over and told her I could not eat the dessert and I requested to speak with the manager...He apologized and comped me for my meal and said he would bring it up with the owner. ...told me that the owner felt this was unnecessary and that I should have asked if it contained alcohol. I informed the manager that I would not be dining at the restaurant again.

In this case I agree with the owner. Recovering alcoholics are not large enough a section of the population, to warrant every restaurant menu indicating what does or does not contain alcohol, it's our duty when unsure to ask. We really should not consider ourselves as some sort of special case, at this rate you will run out of restaurants you are willing to eat at pretty fast.

It was not the fault of anyone working at the restaurant, after you have been in AA a while, you will hopefully see that most of us if we had acted as you did, would reflect on it and return to apologize.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby michmjon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:39 pm

"In this case I agree with the owner. Recovering alcoholics are not large enough a section of the population, to warrant every restaurant menu indicating what does or does not contain alcohol, it's our duty when unsure to ask. We really should not consider ourselves as some sort of special case, at this rate you will run out of restaurants you are willing to eat at pretty fast. "

I have been to other restaurants where the menu has indicated that desserts have alcohol content, or in the case of the waitperson bringing a dessert tray to the table they have indicated that desserts do have alcohol in them.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions