Airline gave me coffee with Baileys....

For recovery discussion

Airline gave me coffee with Baileys....

Postby KYSD » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Sorry I posted this a few minutes ago but it disappeared.

Ugh God so I have to vent for a moment.
I ordered a cup of coffee on my flight and so did the gal in the window seat in my row, but she ordered hers with Baileys.
Flight attendant brings our coffees a bit later, and apparently gave me the wrong coffee, the one with the Bailey's.
I didn't realize until two sips in that this mistake was made.
I was so incredibly upset and on the verge of tears.
The flight attendant apologized profusely when I brought it to her attention, because she, too, is sober.
It is one thing if I relapse on my own, but for someone to make a mistake and for it to have been preventable, it makes me really upset.
I'm going to be writing into the company and telling them what happened
I am trying to wait and reflect on it so that I'm not doing it in a vengeful or hateful way, but something that can help fuel different procedures, maybe differently marked cups or something to ensure sober fliers do not have this happen to them too
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Re: Airline gave me coffee with Baileys....

Postby Noels » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:11 am

Good morning KYSD thank you very much for your share and welcome to e-aa :D

Since it was an honest mistake and not planned by you I wouldn't regard this as a slip. If you yourself ordered the coffee with the intention to get to the little bit of bailey's in there that would be a different story. As my dear friend Duke says - I always look for the intention behind the thought or action.
It may happen at times in our future that we ingest something prepared by someone else accidentally containing a tiny bit of alcohol. As long as we didn't intentionally have that 10 slices of Christmas cake for example to get to the brandy I'd say you're okay, make peace with it, be more careful in future and move on.
Lotsa love
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 am

I can understand and relate to your experience and the feelings that were produced as a result, especially since it happened due to the mistake of someone else.

I would definitely inform the airline of my experience with the goal of helping them to minimize or prevent similar situations in the future. As a former business owner, I can tell you that feedback from guests is vital. While I never enjoyed hearing of less than stellar experiences, I needed to be made aware of them because I can't change what I am unaware of.

The idea of a slightly differently marked cup seems to be a good one. Years of working in the hospitality industry tells me though that the attendant could still mistakenly give the wrong cup to the wrong person so unless the guest is aware of the marking system... Years of working in the hospitality industry tells me that in a hurry the attendant could still accidentally put the alcohol in the wrong cup... The list goes on and on because humans are involved.

It helps my serenity level when I remember that I am not immune to making mistakes and that most of mine are preventable. :~)
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 am

glad youre here and also rather glad this experience upset you. ive heard similar experiences with the person thinkin its no big deal. that thought stuck and eventually full blown drinking resumed.
it wasn't one of them relapses or slips,imo. those things are done knowingly done.

the way youre handling it is very good- best to have some suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Duke » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:16 am

At about 4 years, I was at a children's Christmas party and took a glass of the punch. Unfortunately, some wise azz adult had spiked it with Southern Comfort. At a kids party for goodness sake!

Anyway, I had a sip and immediately realized it was spiked. It made me very nervous for a bit, but really had no effect. (It was probably equivalent to a dose of NyQuil).

I left the party, talked to a friend, and got to a meeting as soon as I could. It was a bad memory in fairly short order.

I learned to be more careful and to more fully appreciate the support we provide for each other. It wasn't a slip. It was an accident.

Learn from it and move on.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi KYSD, and welcome.

So, did you ask for the rest of the bottle before departing the plane? Life happens, it is how "We react" to it. It was a simple mistake (or a Higher Power lesson to be later revealed). If you had departed and drove to the closest liquor store, that would be a problem, if you have a knowledge that a couple of sips did nothing for you, well "Would the whole bottle?" A couple of sips didn't have you flopping on the ground foaming at the mouth, but it did make you think.

Don't sweat life, just learn from it.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Alcoholic_Nurse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 pm

an accident is an accident. if you truly had intended to relapse you would have had more than a sip or 2 of the coffee with baileys. good for you for being mindful. i also had a mishap at christmas when i popped a rum ball in my mouth then realized what it was. i asked my aunt if there were any deserts not soaked in rum. her response was that her fruitcake was soaked in brandy if i wanted any of that instead. she doesn't know i'm in recovery but i got a good chuckle out of it. cunning, baffling, and powerful can be in the form of a sweet little old lady that bakes and cooks like no ones business.
Alcoholic_Nurse
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:56 pm

cunning, baffling, and powerful can be in the form of a sweet little old lady that bakes and cooks like no ones business.

Love that :D thanks Nurse :D
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 am

I was at a party and so I ate a chocolate covered cherry that had brandy inside and I had been sober a long time and I freaked out because I had no idea and I knew I hadn't relapsed and I left the party quietly and called my friend and told him and he said I did the right thing. I still am cautious after all these years of things and if I am not sure I just abstain to be safe. It shook me up pretty good and I had a mental screw for a couple of days on how that happened.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:28 am

Noels wrote:Good morning KYSD thank you very much for your share and welcome to e-aa :D

Since it was an honest mistake and not planned by you I wouldn't regard this as a slip. If you yourself ordered the coffee with the intention to get to the little bit of bailey's in there that would be a different story. As my dear friend Duke says - I always look for the intention behind the thought or action.
It may happen at times in our future that we ingest something prepared by someone else accidentally containing a tiny bit of alcohol. As long as we didn't intentionally have that 10 slices of Christmas cake for example to get to the brandy I'd say you're okay, make peace with it, be more careful in future and move on.
Lotsa love
Mwah xxx Noels

It made me so incredibly upset. It felt almost like a violation of sorts.
It didn't cross my mind that I had slipped or relapsed. After some quiet consideration I let myself breathe and just think on how I felt.
The thought of it disturbs me a little even about a week later, but not nearly as much now.
I think it made the situation a bit escalated for me, knowing that the flight attendant who made the mistake was also sober.
It's like she, too, could feel the horror of the situation at the time.
But, being that there was not an ounce of me that wanted to go get a drink afterwards was a wake up call to the progress I have made and loving the life I have now too much to give up my sobriety
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 am

Layne wrote:I can understand and relate to your experience and the feelings that were produced as a result, especially since it happened due to the mistake of someone else.

I would definitely inform the airline of my experience with the goal of helping them to minimize or prevent similar situations in the future. As a former business owner, I can tell you that feedback from guests is vital. While I never enjoyed hearing of less than stellar experiences, I needed to be made aware of them because I can't change what I am unaware of.

The idea of a slightly differently marked cup seems to be a good one. Years of working in the hospitality industry tells me though that the attendant could still mistakenly give the wrong cup to the wrong person so unless the guest is aware of the marking system... Years of working in the hospitality industry tells me that in a hurry the attendant could still accidentally put the alcohol in the wrong cup... The list goes on and on because humans are involved.

It helps my serenity level when I remember that I am not immune to making mistakes and that most of mine are preventable. :~)

I have waited sometime, but I'm finally ready to write to them.
I know I probably shouldn't have waited this long...but I just really needed some time for quiet reflection.
You're so right that humans can make mistakes and that my forgiveness for her was a lesson in and of itself.
It says more about where I am in my sobriety to not hold a grudge against someone for that honest mistake.
I do definitely still feel they need to change some of their practices.
Just like you said about someone receiving the wrong medicine, etc., People's sobriety could be life or death, and often times is.
So while I forgive the woman for her mistake, the procedures in place need some adjusting for sure, you're right
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 am

tomsteve wrote:glad youre here and also rather glad this experience upset you. ive heard similar experiences with the person thinkin its no big deal. that thought stuck and eventually full blown drinking resumed.
it wasn't one of them relapses or slips,imo. those things are done knowingly done.

the way youre handling it is very good- best to have some suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again.

Thank you Tom! Yes, I'll definitely be speaking with their customer service or hopefully someone higher up the chain soon
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 am

Duke wrote:At about 4 years, I was at a children's Christmas party and took a glass of the punch. Unfortunately, some wise azz adult had spiked it with Southern Comfort. At a kids party for goodness sake!

Anyway, I had a sip and immediately realized it was spiked. It made me very nervous for a bit, but really had no effect. (It was probably equivalent to a dose of NyQuil).

I left the party, talked to a friend, and got to a meeting as soon as I could. It was a bad memory in fairly short order.

I learned to be more careful and to more fully appreciate the support we provide for each other. It wasn't a slip. It was an accident.

Yes, it was definitely a learning experience.
I do think everything in life happens for a reason.
I am very glad that when this lesson came up, I was in the best place mentally that I could be
and knew my sober life is ten times better than that of my drinking days.
It helped me reflect on my progress and how far I've come.
I do really hope it never happens again! It puts you on guard for sure.
I'm nervous to even drink things in people's fridges for fear of things being spiked for no good reason haha
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am

Duke wrote:At about 4 years, I was at a children's Christmas party and took a glass of the punch. Unfortunately, some wise azz adult had spiked it with Southern Comfort. At a kids party for goodness sake!

And what kind of crazy person is going around spiking drinks at a kid's Christmas party.... :shock:
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Postby KYSD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:40 am

D'oh wrote:Hi KYSD, and welcome.

So, did you ask for the rest of the bottle before departing the plane? Life happens, it is how "We react" to it. It was a simple mistake (or a Higher Power lesson to be later revealed). If you had departed and drove to the closest liquor store, that would be a problem, if you have a knowledge that a couple of sips did nothing for you, well "Would the whole bottle?" A couple of sips didn't have you flopping on the ground foaming at the mouth, but it did make you think.

Don't sweat life, just learn from it.

Yes, it is very true that is the lesson learned from the experience that tells the most about us, more so than the experience itself.
I have come to not sweat the small stuff, but to learn how the small things can compound upon themselves if I don't know what lesson I am mean to learn.
I can't say I am glad that it happened, but I appreciate what experiences like this have to teach me
KYSD
Forums Newcomer

Next

Return to Discussions