Is AA membership declining?

For recovery discussion

Re: Is AA membership declining?

Postby tomsteve » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 am

honestly, mich, if youre as negative about aa at meetings are you are here, id avoid any meeting you were at. maybe words out that the meeting you go to has too much negativity?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I didn't see any negativity in Mich's post. A question was posed and he answered honestly with facts. We come to AA expecting it to be a safe place to speak. I appreciate your contribution, mich!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby michmjon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Lali wrote:I didn't see any negativity in Mich's post. A question was posed and he answered honestly with facts. We come to AA expecting it to be a safe place to speak. I appreciate your contribution, mich!

Thanks, Lali. Seems as with the club I attend meetings at, I've "stirred a few pots" in this forum and have been subject to a little ire from a few posters. One thing I discovered about AA when I first started to attend is that there's old timers/old school presence in the program that does not put up one bit with anyone criticizing the program. When I first read the Big Book I was astonished that the book has never really had a major update- just an addendum added here and there and a few chapters modified. For example, AA has made efforts to appeal to a more diverse society by professing no allegiance to any group or religion, yet the Big Book is very Christian in content and morality. In my humble opinion the book is just plain out of date and in need of a major rewrite. I feel the program would benefit greatly by also acknowledging the science of addiction as well as the spiritual side of recovery. People tend to see criticism as something negative- especially if that criticism is addressed towards AA. I see criticism as a resource for improvement. As an old friend of mine once said, "Walking a narrow and straight path may be comforting and easy, but a following a narrow path can lead to a narrow mind. Sometimes that turn off the narrow path may be a quicker way to your destination."
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm

:D :D :D
Have a great day today
Mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello Live4ward. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Interesting Post.

“I've been wondering for a long time if AA's numbers are dropping, but I can't find any data or research. I sobered up from alcohol and other forms of alcohol in 2001.”

If your group has a GSR active your District and General Service Area the numbers are available. Your DCM should have the new membership survey by now.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby kdub720 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

I think the internet has created communities of support 24 hours a day and world wide. No longer is your support limited by location.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby shimmer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:17 pm

I have noticed no decline in membership in my area, sometimes attendance to certain meetings will dwindle for a while, overall though I see nothing but more and more members in the rooms on average.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions