Low self esteem/alcoholism, the cycle

For recovery discussion
Busanteacher9
Forums Newcomer

Re: Low self esteem/alcoholism, the cycle

Post by Busanteacher9 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:44 pm

I also know where you are coming from (relationship wise). In my 20's, I was in a similarly horrible relationship. I was on and off again with a total loser, until one day I felt like I had enough. We broke up for good, and my life got better and better.

Still, I managed to find my own demise. On the outside, I have a great life. My husband is a University professor and researcher. I am a teacher, am starting grad school... but still i have a drinking problem. I feel like it's hurting my body, on the inside.

I think you have to make a lot of changes. Starting with your broken relationship. I know when I finally got out of that relationship, I had more money, more time to think about my future.... maybe you can work on everything a little at a time? Toxic relationships have Togo though.......

kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Low self esteem/alcoholism, the cycle

Post by kdub720 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Great post.
This made me think of my drinking patterns and what lifestyle choices I may have made in order to keep drinking as a reason to hide pain. I am an old broken snowboarder and am quick to use that physical pain as an excuse to drink. THank you for sharing it helped me reflect on my own path.