Question re: Tradition 11

For recovery discussion

Question re: Tradition 11

Postby edweather » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm

This is my first post, and I apologize that this might not be the correct forum, but wanted to get some eyeballs on. My name is Ed, and I'm 34 years sober. Got sober in NYC in the early 80s. I could swear that Tradition 11 on our window shade at the 79th St Workshop, said...."press, radio, films, and television." Can anybody confirm that the tradition was ever printed on the big shade that way? Maybe my memory is betraying me, and I'll probably never be able to find this out. And moderator please move this post if it's in an inappropriate forum. Maybe I can call the archives at GSO in NYC.
edweather
Forums Newcomer

Re: Question re: Tradition 11

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm

edweather wrote:This is my first post, and I apologize that this might not be the correct forum, but wanted to get some eyeballs on. My name is Ed, and I'm 34 years sober. Got sober in NYC in the early 80s. I could swear that Tradition 11 on our window shade at the 79th St Workshop, said...."press, radio, films, and television." Can anybody confirm that the tradition was ever printed on the big shade that way? Maybe my memory is betraying me, and I'll probably never be able to find this out. And moderator please move this post if it's in an inappropriate forum. Maybe I can call the archives at GSO in NYC.

Maybe they produced their own? The AA Tradition reads "press, radio, and films", so this is the only version you'll get from any AA Conference-Approved resource until AA changes the Tradition.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Lali » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 pm

There was no television 81 years ago, was there?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:11 am

Lali wrote:There was no television 81 years ago, was there?

About 10 years later in 1948.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 am

:D in last night's meeting the speaker said "press, radio, films and Phillips" :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

"Phillips"?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes, Noels, what does Phillips mean?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 am

hi ladies :D Its a manufacturer of TVs here in RSA like Samsung, Phillips, LG, etc. It was pretty funny :D
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am

Hello Ed and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. You might be thinking of the long form of the tradition.
“Our relations with the general public should be characterized by personal anonymity. We think A.A. ought to avoid sensational advertising. Our names and pictures as A.A. members ought not be broadcast, filmed, or publicly printed. Our public relations should be guided by the principle of attraction rather than promotion. There is never need to praise ourselves. We feel it better to let our friends recommend us.”
As for contacting GSO, that's a great Idea…..and if you have contacted GSO before, I would ask a sponsee to do a favor and email GSO for you. It is a sneaky way to introduce them to GSO
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:15 am

Noels wrote:hi ladies :D Its a manufacturer of TVs here in RSA like Samsung, Phillips, LG, etc. It was pretty funny :D
Mwah xxx Noels

Phillips is also the name of a medication taken for digestive issues LOL - that is where my mind went ! Still funny ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm

:D :D :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby kalenaka » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm

At a meeting I attend on the regular if one particular person reads the traditions he adds "Facebook" (...press, radio and film and facebook) lol :lol:
kalenaka
Forums Newcomer

Postby desypete » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

i remember when i was in my 20s and my first time in aa and i heard that for the first time about press radio and films, i can remember thinking there would be news men hanging around outside of aa meetings waiting to see who are the alcoholics coming out of the meetings. i was also thinking i would end up rubbing shoulders with super stars and i seen that traditon as some sort of promise i would make that i wouldnt tell the world about aa or who goes there etc =biggrin

anyway it does need updating to include facebook and you tube etc, i can not believe the amount of stuff up on you tube by self seekers in the fellowship.

mind you i do love seeing bill w on there so maybe its me who is just being a bit old hat ? i dont really know
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby kdub720 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 am

This is a difficult one, I say do not believe the hype. The press media and film are just trying to sell us stuff. Maybe that is why, do not believe what you read or see. Like when they wrote the bigbook, the world is full of propaganda.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions