Faith a belief outside of me

For recovery discussion

Re: Faith a belief outside of me

Postby positrac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Barbara D. wrote:Great presentation of a multi-faceted topic, Posi! I'm so glad you lived long enough to make it to Recovery!

Throughout the shares, I kept wondering if faith and what I believe are the same thing. I got here atheist and knew that I consciously rejected religion as being a man-made control contraption. It never dawned on me that I could have a god of my understanding, probably because I played god in my own life. I used the Home Group as my HP so I could take the Steps. But that small change in my thinking led to changes in what I believed and then led the way for more changes towards spiritual principles. And then changes began to appear in my behavior.

For me, whether an external being is pulling my basic instinct strings or whether pain forced me to consider new parameters for understanding my insides and it's all an inside job is really irrelevant. I'm just so glad I know I'm not in charge!!!!

One day at a time into.....2017!!!!

Again great point from the master of the universe!!!! I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am not afraid to be honest as I am not unique and so why hide behind that notion. My hope is if one person can get sober and pass on the fortune of the gift then we/I did our jobs. I work on not being a ego maniac on this because gifts are made to be given with no strings. Happy New Year.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Faith a belief outside of me

Postby positrac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Tosh wrote:
positrac wrote:Normally I believe people think of religion and or God first when faith is mentioned.

Just recently I sat in a meeting where a guy shared about the kindness shown to him by his sponsor, who had taken him in, gave him a bed, and just loved the guy. He was two years sober now. His sponsor was in the room. Then another new guy shared that he'd been looked after by the guy who was two years sober; this guy had sat with him while he detoxed, had washed his soiled bedclothes, fed him and supported him and took him to A.A.; he loved him.

'God is love'; I can go with that concept of God.

Tosh that takes a lot of risk and a lot of human compassion. I have tried to help others in need and because of my past I feel I know enough to want for them better than I had. Normally I get screwed over some way and I swear it off and yet do it again. Go figure huh! But some I refuse to help because the stench of evil oozes out and so I pass by.

I am not all that and never will be and I am ok with that now as I've gotten older. My hope is the seeds we plant will not just sprout; but actually grow into a productive plant (soul) Wishful thinking and yet look at us as we might have been written off as useless and here we are today doing our best for this moment.

Cheers
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Discussions