Greatest Obesession!

For recovery discussion

Greatest Obesession!

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:14 am

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Greatest Obesession!

Postby kmith709 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:57 pm

thank you for sharing this reminder.... too true... I have 702 days now and even though things in my life are going great, I'm still every day obsessed with the idea that drinking again would make me feel better--that I could "make it work," that I could "make it part of my lifestyle" without messing up the things I messed up before. I realize that I have yet to really do a thorough step one... I am still hung up on the idea that I could drink without it controlling me. Maybe I never truly hit bottom? Do I really want or need to? I know that step one is, they say, the only step you have to take 100%. I am at a loss. Things are going great. I don't WANT to suffer to the point of hitting a true rock bottom. but maybe I need to? I am tried of feeling like a dry drunk. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin.
kmith709
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:27 pm

I am tried of feeling like a dry drunk. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin.
Work the steps and join us on the broad highway, the road to happy destiny. :D
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:54 pm

702 days

If you look at Bills story, he talks about the mind and body being marvelous mechanism, they could endure so much pain. I am surprised though, how you have not drunk yet. That realization that a drink is not going to work for me anymore and that I have to do something came to me few years ago. Then I could launch the course of rigorous action and had the obsession lifted.

You have to reach a point where your being cant deal with the pain no more. Pray for willingness, sincerely.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm with Spirit Flower. The answer is The Steps!!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby porcupine » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 am

kmith709 wrote:thank you for sharing this reminder.... too true... I have 702 days now and even though things in my life are going great, I'm still every day obsessed with the idea that drinking again would make me feel better--that I could "make it work," that I could "make it part of my lifestyle" without messing up the things I messed up before. I realize that I have yet to really do a thorough step one... I am still hung up on the idea that I could drink without it controlling me. Maybe I never truly hit bottom? Do I really want or need to? I know that step one is, they say, the only step you have to take 100%. I am at a loss. Things are going great. I don't WANT to suffer to the point of hitting a true rock bottom. but maybe I need to? I am tried of feeling like a dry drunk. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin.

What I found is that there are two ways of treating my illness - either the temporary way, by drinking, which I had tried up to the point that it no longer treated it - or the permanent/progressive treatment which is working the steps.

The illness for me was that I couldn't live in my own skin, and live life as it was dealt up to me day by day. I was just constantly anxious, reactive and generally fearful.

I completely hear you about the dry drunk thing. The key I found is that the steps help you not just to stop drinking, but to be happy in life without needing anything to make it bearable. Without the steps, I think I would have gone mad :)

I like to think of them as my toolkit, they allow me to have other options at my disposal. Going to meetings and talking to other alcoholics helps me keep my toolkit well stocked!
porcupine
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Barbara D. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

I have not had a drink in a long time. I still have not stopped. I just choose not to drink TODAY.

I can drink if I want to. When I tell myself that I "can't" do something, I am immediately obsessed with the desire to do it. I believe this is a human as well as alcoholism characteristic. As long as I have a choice and believe that I can't drink successfully, I can CHOOSE not to drink today.

Not often, but sometimes, I play the game with myself. It's been soooooo long, Barbara. Maybe just 1 drink would be possible now. And then I laugh at myself. ONE drink? You jest. No point at all in one drink. :lol: My emotional sobriety depends on my spiritual condition...better do a 10th Step inventory and see if any resentment is hiding inside, look for fears or refusal to accept something I will not turn over, etcetera.

Recovery has given me a framework for living, and I am so thankful!!! Happy Monday.
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby Squarelymet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:21 am

I don't think anyone really hit the bottom. The bottom can go deeper for everyone. No matter how devastating your circumstances are, no matter how high your bottom is compare to others. I remember I was sitting in brand new custom ordered and fully paid 911, contemplating suicide. I know circumstances mean nothing.

I wouldn't say I have an obsession to drink, but the though comes. Sometimes it stays awhile, but never like before. As I type, I thought it would be nice. What can I say? I am an alcoholic. Just like any other thing in life, there are degrees of sickness. Some of us are sicker than others. When I see some 30 year old drunks share all the right things, looking all confident in his sobriety and freshly skinned, I feel like S***. It takes an half day to get out of my pity pot.

I am trying to cut myself fat slack. Sometimes, I share my thoughts, which are not the strength, nor hope. But it is my experience. Sobriety and AA are not cure-all. I got other issues in life. How to navigate through this rough water with dignity and joy, helping others on the way and how not to compare my inside with others, that is my task. God will put wind on my sail, but my sail has to be up to catch the wind.

I wish I can control and enjoy. I am not grateful to be an alcoholic neither. It will be 9 years in April. I still think the consequences are too much. I let go the judgement. That is not my part. I want to love and nourish myself. I am all I got.
"Happily and Usefully Whole"
Squarelymet
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 am

Beautiful post thank you Squarelymet.

Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:55 am

I wouldn't say I have an obsession to drink, but the though comes. Sometimes it stays awhile, but never like before.

there are some great pointers in the chapter more about alcoholism. first of all we have to have a deep realization that we are different from others, mentally and bodily. And when those come up, the book suggests we squash the thought. Don't feed energy into it. The workings of the 10th step also comes into play. We could use the same direction that is given for fear cropping up.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 am

10th step promises tell us we will be interested in alcohol at some time in recovery, but will know what to do about it.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:08 am

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

That realization that i can't go on like this came to me before I walked into the rooms of AA. It was the first glimpse of defeat. I did drink after this but fortunately I initiated the process for getting well by reaching out for help, on my own self. Later learning about this grave nature of this disease helped me convinced that without change I was doomed.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tAAo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:32 pm

I just have to remember that with a drink comes the "annihilation of all things worthwhile ". From my first drink to my last.
tAAo
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:15 am

Yesterday a member came back after being out there. He had worked the steps sponsored people but I guess somewhere he got complacent. He mentioned this after the meeting, we forget the consequences pretty quickly. And he realizes that only option is to work towards being spiritual fit, he got tangled in materialistic desires.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Yesterday a member came back after being out there. He had worked the steps sponsored people but I guess somewhere he got complacent. He mentioned this after the meeting, we forget the consequences pretty quickly. And he realizes that only option is to work towards being spiritual fit, he got tangled in materialistic desires.

A good reminder nothing has changed out there since my last drink.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions