CRISIS

For recovery discussion

CRISIS

Postby TBML » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Well, I'm about 10 months into sobriety for the 2nd time (I had been sober for about 20 years), and a major financial event has stricken me causing me untold worry and stress. I have been fixating on this for about a week, have forgotten to eat meals, lost 7 pounds, only sleep about 3 hours a night, and have developed some world class sacks under my eyes. I am so stressed right now that I just had some thoughts about drinking alcohol, real thoughts, for the first time in about 6 months. I guess I just need some sort of relief.

When I did AA the first time, I did it by the book. During my current stint at sobriety I have just used these forums. Just venting and getting things off of my chest here has worked wonders so far, and as I type this I am already feeling better. I guess I'll go take a long walk with my dog, that always takes my mind off of things.

Thanks for listening.
TBML
Forums Enthusiast

Re: CRISIS

Postby Karl R » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi,

At the risk of sounding trite: Have you considered reinforcing your program by taking the third step again? As evidenced by taking a written fear inventory as in the 4th step? (have a read of pp 67-68).

best of luck,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:23 pm

When I was new, and had that crisis feeling, I could call someone in the program or go to a meeting to sit and chill. Why do you not use AA now? My home group has several people who went back out after long periods of sobriety. We welcome them back. For me, with 31 years, it is important to consider my own program as I listen to the story of one who went out.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby TBML » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:31 pm

I don't think step 3 is an issue here, but thanks, it was nice going back over it.

I feel much better now, I just had a moment where everything had overwhelmed me. I had become too involved in the effort to rectify the situation, and finally realized that I had to step back and leave it's resolution to the authorities.

Some things truly are out of one's control AFTER they occur, even though they were most likely preventable in the first place.
TBML
Forums Enthusiast

Postby TBML » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:40 pm

TBML
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:34 am

TBML wrote:I don't think step 3 is an issue here, but thanks, it was nice going back over it.

I feel much better now, I just had a moment where everything had overwhelmed me. I had become too involved in the effort to rectify the situation, and finally realized that I had to step back and leave it's resolution to the authorities.

Some things truly are out of one's control AFTER they occur, even though they were most likely preventable in the first place.

You had 20 years and your lifestyle you led didn't get you drunk, although you got drunk over the lifestyle.

You know honesty is a main function of our success in our sobriety. If your lifestyle is a mess then I assume the rest of your life is a mess and so you have no refuge to get refreshed. I am pointing fingers and I hope it'll wake you up as this is a life or death deal we live with everyday. Oh yes you could get hit by a bus, car, and or train or shot for stealing people's money in terrible investments. But the real killer is our alcoholism! An that one my friend will not be quick and it ain't pretty and it is very lonely until the very end.

People, places and Things get us drunk and a whole lot of other stuff:

HALT:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

if you let those control your life then you are up a creep without a paddle.

Get back to basics and get simple and life will be better.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm

There is relief in the steps...I think you know this. Maybe time to take some action...nothing changes If nothing changes.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:12 am

Reborn wrote:There is relief in the steps...I think you know this. Maybe time to take some action...nothing changes If nothing changes.

Good points and one thing to remember is that if we/I call you out then I am wanting to save your life and that should be worth something? If I sat back and just said welcome and nothing more then am I doing enough to wake up the one who suffers from alcoholism?

I sit back at times and read and watch and I know had it not been for AA and those hardazzes back in Oakland California I would of either died and or spent my life in prison. Those people who chewed me up and spit me out saved me. Did it hurt my ego and pride? YES! But I owe a lot of gratitude to those people back in 1989.

If we have a take away and Reborn does echo it even when I might not see eye 2 eye; is that we need to be honest because as we all should recall: easier, softer , way ring any bells? So if we close that off then they/them have to go thru hell in order to get clean.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions