Spiritual Awakening Depression!

For recovery discussion

Re: Spiritual Awakening Depression!

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:55 am

my son died 5 years ago of stomach cancer, he was just 16 years old still a baby, it shook me to the bone, in the space of 8 short months our world was turned upside down, i am a single parent dad and i had to care for him as i am the only sober parent, his mum is still out acitve on the drink

anyway after all the hospitals and chemos treatments it came to the point when the drs told us there was no more that could be done and that my son would die in the next couple of months
he couldnt eat a meal nor take a drink of cold water all he could do was suck on ice to try to quench his thrist. day in day out my little lad suffered and when the pain hit he had to be heavely sedated with morphine
i remember have a huge row with the dr who refused to up my sons dose of morhpine to keep him out of pain as it might kill him and the dr would be had up for murder or whatever the term is for it

anyway he died in my bedroom with me as i never left his side, i dont know how i coped but i had to and thankfully aa was there for me to try to get some restpite as i had no one else in the world to turn to, no family no siblings etc so aa and my sponsor and friends were all i had

now when he died i died to in my heart and soul, i stayed in bed, i didnt want to do anything or see anyone i isolated to my bedroom and stayed there curled up in a ball trying to sleep my life away as being asleep i was out of my pain

this went on for many months and in the end i seen a dr who diagnosed me as depressed and offered me some pills in order to help me

i refused this offer as i have seen many people in aa get depressed and taking pills and one man in particular who lost his daughter and his wife in the space of 2 years turned into a drugged up zombie, he would come to the meetings high as a kite and he needed pills to counter the side effect of other pills, within a year or so he became institutionalised and put into a home
this man shown me what not to do and the faith i have in aa and our way of life shown me that i must take action to beat this myself

so it was like starting all over again for me except i hadn't had a drink but i had to start again to push myself to get out of the front door, to get back to meetings and that was hard with all the god talk, can you imagine sitting in a room and someone speaks up saying how wonderful and loving there god is to them and how there god has protected them etc and i had to sit and listen to it and not react which of course i couldnt do as i was so hurt and angry
but aa kept on telling me to keep on coming back even though i was rude and nasty but they could see i was hurting so much and i have no belief in a god in my life, so all i had was aa
anyway my faith paid off just like it did in the early days of learning to live one day at a time without a drink
today its 5 years on i still miss my son, i still cry at times, but i accept it and i dont let it drive me to hate etc, i can even sit in aa rooms and be happy for others who have this belief in there god and spout whatever as it doesnt bother me all i care about is there in an aa room and still sober

but i believe i had to work on me and myself to get past that depression, and i do believe anyone can do it but i accept the wisdom of aa when they tell me i am not a dr and we are all different
but i do see some people in aa get very down in the dumps and they have been around longer than me, yet they dont see that there really doing nothing about themselves

one thnig that really helped me was when i went to a meeting and it was very early after my sons death my sponsor was with me holding my hand so to speak, anyway there was lots of happy joyus and free people worshiping there god in the meeting so i was getting angry inside of me but i didnt show it
we left the meeting and i sounded off at my sponsor we ended up walking along the promenade in the town and there we met up with 2 tramps, one had been beaten up by the other, they were both dirty and smelly and carried a bag around with them that had everything they own in it

we ended up chating to these guys for almost 2 hours as they spoke to us about there life, who they once were, how they once had familys and now there reduced to sleeping rough, they wished they could turn it around etc and we of course was droping hints about aa all along our chat
anyway we gave them some money for there booze and offered them a meeting etc and we left them

it took about 2 hours of our time and one thing that i noticed happend as i we didnt manage to get them to come to aa and i dare say today they may well be dead from the booze, so in other words we didnt help them
but what did happen was that for 2 hours i had forgotten about my own pain over my son. for 2 hours my focus was on trying to help these guys

so it shown me what i must do when my head is up my backside and i am feeling sorry for myself although i didnt feel sorry for myself i just felt so sorry for my son but anyway the point is i had to get off my backside and bloody well work for it

today i am in a much better place and my faith in aa and our way of life is even stronger now as i know it works but we really do have to work for it

i didnt need any pills i just needed to work on me and follow the way of life aa has shown me to live
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 am

Beautiful share thank you Pete.
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:48 am

Moderator edit

Firstly, the people of AA today, have become very accommodating of non believers, bending over backward saying use the group as your higher power, door knob anything, and you are saying we must not change AA. It is people like you we are allowing to change AA, maybe we are allowing the non believers to get away with too much. This is a spiritual fellowship, some atheists like you didn't like it and started their own fellowship, AA Agnostica, they have web pages and meetings, it's not our fault their meetings are crap, resulting in folks like you attending regular AA.

Throughout your posts, you speak about how much better you have gotten at accepting what others do or say, but turn around and write badly of those who follow the book of Alcoholics Anonymous, by speaking of what God has done in turning around their lives. The good actions you speak about, helping the destitute and so on, these are at the core of every spiritual practice, and the message of every great spiritual teacher. They are the instructions of God, you are doing God's work, and reaping the benefit, it would be better however if you didn't write or talk about doing it, God would bless you even more if you didn't. As it says in the Bible, (a book which sat on the table of every early AA meeting), in the days when AA was most successful, and folks who bad talked God were few, from the gospel of Matthew - “Take care not to do your good works before men, to be seen by them; or you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”

Moderator edit
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Chelle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 am

Thank you Pete for sharing. I think it is a real testimony to how AA has worked in your life, and how you were able to get through that without having a drink. God or no god and still sober today. We have lots of folks around here that do not think AA can work for them because they have no belief. I believe in God, but would never spout off quotes from the Bible in a meeting, as to not offended anyone or turn them off what AA has to offer. Talking to the tramps got your mind off of you for 2 hours. Good stuff for me to think about when life has me down and I'm so full of self..we have plenty of tramps in our town.

I also suffered from depression after my spiritual awakening. Life on life's terms was a very hard concept when things were not unicorns and daisies. The fellowships and helping others helped fill me up. The doc gave me some medicine, but it left me feeling flat, so I just accepted that better days will come and I don't have to drink.

Anyhow..I'm glad you are posting. I always get something thing out of your shares. Thanks
for keeping it real
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am

J Krishnamurthy, a great philosopher says:

“This is my secret, I don't mind what happens.”

Thats acceptance, thats GOD. Its our mind that comes up with all the ideas, concepts. And this leads to my GOD being better than yours and then there is no GOD ideas.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks Pete. I did not see any bashing of god in your post. I cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child and then hear people talk about Joy & Protection. People can be thoughtless and the BB tells us that they are often wrong. I AM SO GLAD that you took ownership for your pain and your actions and found a Way Out of the dark pit you have described. I am glad you are in my Heart. I remember when I met you here at e-aa, you were mad as hell, and I Loved you then, as I Love you now. You and I both Love AA. and perhaps AA & Love are my HP. What your HP is does not matter to me. I Love all of my AA people (known and not yet known). I am glad you Love AA & it's people too.

Your story will save the very lives of others who suffer. I have no doubt.

Each person having an HP is like each person's personal choice of underwear. Yes, panties & skivvies. Maybe a person is an Underwear Atheist! But most people wear some kind of extra undercover under clothes. Maybe they are pink and lacy or humongous and white or boxer or brief or boxer-briefs! They might me polka dot or camouflage. To each his OWN. If I sent you to buy me some underwear & gave you my best full description with color and size etc., you would likely be very confused when you got to the department store. It is easy to get the wrong idea of what I meant for you to buy. The variety is wonderfully amazing! My son SWEARS that he has saved thousands of dollars and a ton of heartache by going Commando - he is an Underwear Atheist and he has one less thing to think about than I do... but I am a "spiritual entity" atheist... preferring the Black Hole as a Creator of the Universe and the Common Loving Energy as a Power Greater than MeEgo. But I have learned there are many many things that are Greater than me ~ an amazing variety of them. An open mind is indispensable to Freedom.

And I belong in ANY AA meeting. I have earned my chair thru P.A.I.D.
Pitiful And Incomprehensible Demoralization.

I fought for my seat at the bar and I will fight for the chair in AA that is now my Lifeline to A Power Greater Than.

Whatever variety you prefer - the details are up to you alone.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:05 pm

...that is you and your own personal wish to try to make aa that way. but you just dont see it YET!

The problem is not me trying to force anything, you don't know me, and if you were in meetings I attend you would see I very seldom if ever use the word God, also writing here I have never tried to push my concept down anyone’s throat.

When someone complains as much as you do about what other people are saying -
dangerous obsession for some in aa about the god thing, there obsession has switched from booze to god and its clear to see in them as its all they go on and on about...trying to force anyone or everyone to get sober there way...they quote passages, or quote other members what they say etc as if its some sort of proof ?...the only problem in aa is the members themselves as there all so very different and attach themselves to different clubs inside of the fellowship, be it big books or steppers or the born again Christians

This does not give a good impression of our fellowship to new people, and nobody else on these forums complains about this like you do, it could put others off of trying meetings.
as for the oxford group !!! oh please lets not or ever go down that road with aa.

I suppose you said that because I mentioned bibles at early meetings, well I wasn't thinking about them at all, I purposely said “early AA meetings.” Dick B. wrote a book “The Big Book and The Good Book,” which traces some of the history I am speaking of, I won't go into it because it's not something most folks want to hear about.

One last thing Desi, if you ever reply to a post, I really would appreciate not seeing my name mentioned over and over, it's a public forum and not a personal letter to me, you said Brock this and Brock that at least seven times in your last post.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby desypete » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 pm

thanks paige for your kind words, and its the first time i have heard anyone compare there hp to a pair of knickers =biggrin it certainly beats the chair leg or door knob hands down

yes i was as angry as hell for a good long time after my son, and in the meetings of aa i would pour my soul out and be angry at times, this is the beauty of aa as no one ever told me to go away or to not come back, infact the old message of keep on coming back is never more so true and its the only thing i had to cling onto is that faith that if i keep on coming back maybe the days might get that little bit better for me
and true enough that faith has been rewarded in more ways than one, as i soon got back to it and i was able to let the pain go and move forward

i can honestly say never once did i ever think about picking up a drink, i wanted to die many times but never to run off and pick up a drink. which is amazing really when i think back to how i was once a 24 / 7 drunk

one thing i did try was a group therapy with other parents who had lost a child but i had to quit after about 4 sessions, and the reason i quit was because there were people there who had lost there child almost 10 year on and they were still living in that pain as if it was yesterday, they had no program or any other way to deal with there loss other than a dr and pills and just trying to get on, my heart went out to them of course but the way we live in aa and trying to avoid self pitty and those low level emotions well it just wasn't the sort of therapy i needed
aa is my life i can not do this on my own i need direction and help along my journey and aa gives that to me in spades and buckets so i will keep on coming back =biggrin

brock i never thought about mentioning you name so i will not do so in future posts. ok i know i have just mentioned it again so i will not do it again =biggrin
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you for sharing your AA journey with us. Many new members browse these older forum topics and I know your story and your honesty will touch many and give hope, courage and strength to those who may be suffering from the loss of a loved one.

Keep coming back...... =biggrin
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:46 am

adamjohn wrote:It sounds to me like the two are incompatible. The Promises on page 83 of the Big Book sound like the exact opposite of depression.
So, two questions. One, what is the difference between spiritual awakening (as in step 12) and spiritual experience? I've had spiritual experiences,
but I don't think I have had a spiritual awakening.
Question two: I am suffering from depression; is this proof that I have NOT had a spiritual awakening?

welcome adamjohn!
AFTER i worked the steps, i was put on an AD. there were underlying issues the program were not going to help no matter how much footwork i put in. that didnt mean i didnt have a spiritual awakening- i was definatly not the man i was when i walked into AA. part of the spiritual awakening was noticing there was something more going on internally and seeking help outside of AA for it.
while working the steps, the spiritual experiences i had were the light bulb moments- the "AHA!" moments. when something made suddenly made sense. the spiritual experiences were noticing the program in action in my life.
today spiritual experiences come in many ways,shapes, and forms. it can still be noticing the program in action. it can be when im sitting under the bird feeder with bird food in my hand an a bird lands there to get a bite to eat. a spiritual experience can be when i happen to be in the right place( unplanned) to help someone else or in the right place( unexpectedly) for someone else to help me.
symptoms( if thats what they can be called) of a spiritual awakening- some of them are described in the big book- they are the promises of step 12:
Life will take on new meaning
remarkable things will happen.
the things which came to us when we put ourselves in God's hands were better than anything we could have planned
we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do
We have stopped fighting anybody and anything
You will lose the old life to find one much better.
Joy at our release from a lifetime of frustration knew no bounds

i could go even further and say a spiritual awakening is ofall the promises of the program occuring at some point in time. doesnt mean they all happen all the time,though. not just the 9th step promises, but the promises of every step.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby kdub720 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 am

This post is to Brock The AA and God Police. Brock I enjoyed the read and appreciated the honesty and difficulties. Loosing a child is tough. You have belittled my participation. and dafter reading you response to Pete. This has to stop. AA must change and adapt to the times as we do in life. Some believe in God and some do not. All I can do as a believer is spread Gods word and love and let others discover Gods Grace for themselves. Back off Brock and stop telling people how or what to post. This is a place for people to share their feelings and stories and reflect with others. When you try to dictate our posts, you are controlling us like alcohol used to. Great share Pete, I identified with your struggle and commend you progress. Find that Higher power what every you feel it may be. Keep on the good path. Congrats and know that you story inspired me today as I have recently been suggested medication that I do not want to take. Thanks again. This was a helpful post.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

Back off Brock and stop telling people how or what to post.

I am sorry kdub if I came over as what you call “the AA and God Police,” it was not intended. In telling me to stop doing something here, you are guilty of the same thing you accuse me of.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:04 am

In telling me to stop doing something here, you are guilty of the same thing you accuse me of.

Can you see that more than one person is finding your constant recriminations of others here to be WRONG?

Why can you not accept your part in this?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby JohnDaniels » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 am

Hi Pete,

I read your post about the loss of your son but didn't have time to post a few days ago when I read it. I just wanted to thank you and share some of my own experience strength and hope over the loss of my son about the same time as yours.

By the way Pete, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Thank for sharing your experience about your son. I understand.

My wife and I lost our son a few years ago also. He was 38. His problem that lead up to his death started when he was a child.
I've mentioned this briefly in another post but never went into any depth. I only mentioned it previously to share the message about the personal growth and development this program has taught me. How this program has taught me to slow down, think think think, ... think things clear thru to the end, get out of myself, learn selflessness from taking actions that got me out of selfishness and self centeredness.

I'm certainly not looking for sympathy here, I'm merely sharing with you, one alcoholic to another in recovery. As we know, when two alcoholics share at this level it helps, sometimes just to know that someone understands. Not just about not drinking, but about recovery and living life sober and trudging the road to happy destiny. I'm not talking about sharing or going on about our pain and agony, but more so about our recovery and the things we have done and the healthy actions we've taken and still do to try to make some sense out of things that sometimes seem to be senseless. Oh there's no doubt about losing a child is a heart breaker, it ripped he heart right out of me for a while and this is just my experience here and is unique, none of us are the same as we all handle things differently in this life. Thanks to the AA program, the steps, the stories in the books and the support of folks just like you I have grown thru the pains and thru the pleasures. I've learned how to apply the AA teachings in all my affairs.

When our son was a small boy he was hit by a car. He was not expected to live or if by chance he did live he would have problems all his life due to the way the accident exposed his brain. But he pulled thru and was out of the hospital in 2 months smiling, laughing and being his happy self again. This was a miracle.

The things in my story that follow here are intended to show the miracles that happened to prolong his life and the meaning in his life. SO much meaning.
He had lost allot of blood when he was hit by the car and his brain had been skidded and damaged on the pavement. The hospital gave him allot of blood. Without that ability he would have not even survived thru the first night in the hospital.
His brain had swelled and had been damaged. There was a brain surgeon from the Neurological Institute who jumped right on top of things from the time our son was admitted into the hospital. This surgeon was amazing. Come to find out after we got to know him he was also one of us who started an AA group meeting to help other doctors and surgeons. I think that may be one of the reasons he had such a warm personal touch due to the AA teachings he learned. He shared with my wife and I over coffee at a closer more personal level than I had ever experienced with a surgeon. He radiated AA's teachings and was an example to us all of how AA can work in all our lives.

A few years past after the accident and our son was developing as we thought he ought to. Then he started getting colds that turned worse but he eventually got past them with high doses of antibiotics. He was suddenly not healing as fast as he normally would have. He was a very strong athlete and a great distance runner but even that was slowing down. I had my suspicions so I took him to visit his neurosurgeon.
Back when our son was given all those blood transfusions in the hospital it saved his life. However at that time they were not keeping as close of tabs on the blood as they do now. Now I'm not blaming and I'm not crying the blues here, but we believe as did his doctor, the blood they gave him from the hospitals inventory contained HIV.

Our son was as straight as an arrow.

Our son was immediately started on HIV medications and they eventually showed he practically had no HIV according to the testing.
I put every bit of my heart, my soul and my self into making the remainder of his life as full as possible. We knew he would die but we didn't know when. This gave new meaning to "Living One Day at a Time".
I build motorcycle frames, race car frames and race chassis parts. Our son loved racing and race cars as much as I do. I set my business aside for a few years and devoted every bit of my self to making the rest of his life the best I could. He and I built him an All American Soap Box Derby Racer to race in the All American Soap Box Derby. He took 1st place in our state, which qualified him to race in the World All American Soap Box Derby in Akron, Ohio. They treat those boys like celebrities back there with a big parade, police escorts with sirens blowing and so on. Oh the big smiles on their faces! He stayed at a camp that week back there that week with cabins, boating, fun times. In the World Soap Box Derby race he finished a close 2nd place. Our son and our family were so thrilled. I would be glad to share pictures of all that sometime if you'd like.

When we got back home from Akron I took him in for his checkup and he was doing fine.
He had a dream of becoming a race car driver. Together we built him a go kart, a 1/4 midget, 1/2 Midget and he had so much fun racing whether he won or not.
He wanted to race NASCAR. I enrolled him in Bob Bondurant's School of High Performance Driving where he learned all about how to handle a race car and the mechanics and safety of the race car. I didn't want the school to think this was just some spoiled kid coming in. I told them what a special young man he was and how much this all meant to him. They were amazing with him. They told my wife and I they had never had a student that happy and free, learn so fast with so much enthusiasm. They put as much into his schooling as he was putting into it, so that was allot! We were so proud of him. He always had a big smile on his face that drew people to him. He was likeable.

Thru his schooling he realized his dream and became a race car driver. I taught him to weld and use the machine shop in order to build and maintain his race cars and race trucks. He built his race cars and race trucks in my shop and raced in off road races in Parker, AZ and Nevada. He raced in Sports Car Road Racing and Formula Racing. He made it into NASCAR and raced for a well known team. His life was a shining example of the way miracles happen.

All at once he developed a rare aging disease that took him very quickly. I sat with him and asked him how he felt about all that has happened. He was so strong about his answer to me. He said, "Dad, we play the hand we're dealt. You always taught us kids to be strong and work hard. You and mom have given me more than anyone could ask for. I've had a full life packed into a short time. You're the best dad in the whole world."

He faced his death like a man and even cracked a joke about it near the end when he said, "Dad. Will you make sure I have cowboy boots on when I go. I want people to know I died with my boots on". Then he laughed. I laughed with him but turned my head and my tears fell.

The morning he died in his apartment I felt it, I mean really felt it.

I was hurting on a level I had never known. At the same time I felt his innocence, his laughter, his love, his gratitude and his strength.

The aftermath of dealing with our son's death was unfamiliar territory for me. I'd lost friends an family before, but this was my only son. Although my heart was breaking, so was my wife's, all our other children's, our son's aunts and uncles, his grandmother, all his friends hearts. I realized it wasn't only me whose heart was breaking. AA has taught me to rid myself of selfish thoughts and selfish actions and learn take selfless actions and think less of myself and think more of the needs of others. I was never smart enough to come up with those ideas on my own. I learned them in our program. Based on that I was there as a responsible husband for my wife to lean on, I was there as a responsible husband, father, son to my mother, and to his friends and the rest of the family. Their hearts were breaking and they needed someone. I became that person for them. I believe that was what I needed to do. In my drinking daze I would have never been that kind of a man for them all. I am grateful to our AA program for teaching me how to deal with life on life's terms.

Incidentally I have been sent another gift. We have some amazing neighbors. The mother works so hard cleaning at a 2 hotels. She is raising 3 boys who are responsible and giving, no gangs, no drugs, always offering a hand. Those 3 boys and I have become quite close over the past few years as we work on cars and I teach them how to do things. The one with the least amount of self confidence who was failing in school has increased his grades and become a great athlete at his high school. He thanked me for helping him to learn self confidence. All this in this story of mine is nothing I have done on self knowledge. I gave up and surrendered some years ago. AA has taught me the things I need and I truly am amazed and am not even half way through yet. My life is continually filled with more meaning.

Thank you Pete for being here

Peace
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby kdub720 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Geez, deep topic and awesome responses. I feel that I am doing good, yet out of know where I have gotten cravings, when I thought I was "cured." But I realize that it is just memories of certain times. The depression thing is wild, For me I know I am doing great spiritually yet still battle with the depression thing. I often think of the movie "Waynes World" where wayne says' He thought he had mono for an entire year, but just turned out he was really bored." I think about depression a lot in my own journey. I am glad you all brought it up today.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions