Faith without works is dead

For recovery discussion

Faith without works is dead

Postby Reborn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:59 am

"Faith without works is dead" is what AA is all about. The principles I have learned in this program have their power in the here and now. I can go through my day and do my nightly review as suggested in the Big Book...and say to myself "well I could have handled that better" or "man I was an asshole there"...then wake up the next day and do my best not to act that way...but the power of the principles are practiced in that moment when I just want to react. There has to be a point when I stop just recognizing when I revert to old behavior and do as the book suggests...pages 87-88

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.

I do my prayer and meditation every morning...do a 10th step if I harm anyone...and do my nightly review. Pausing when agitated or doubtful...asking for the right thought or action. Taking that action(practicing the principles in all my affairs) is where I fall from grace on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong I react a lot better then I used to...I guess that's why they say spiritual progress rather than perfection. It just amazes me that I can even recognize these things in myself...because I spent most of my life judging myself by my intentions while everyone around me was judging me by my actions. Faith without works is dead has a different meaning than it used too...I truly understand the difference between working the steps and living them. There is a big world out there and living in it sober and happy takes work each day...and humbly saying many times each day "Thy will be done."
Last edited by Reborn on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Re: Faith without works is dead

Postby Mike O » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Lovely share.
Thanks.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 pm

A hearty "Amen" here, as well. It was downright embarrassing to admit how often I'd said I believed this or that principle, and then immediately returned to acting as I always had when I was pressed or challenged emotionally.

One thing I've done that's helped me a lot, is to find people who practice what they preach, and observe what they do in difficult situations. I then commit to act like that next time a similar situation comes up for me. It just helps me a lot to have some idea of what loving, faith-based action looks like to model.

Good topic. Thanks for sharing.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:11 pm

the power of the principles are practiced in that moment when I just want to react. There has to be a point when I stop just recognizing when I revert to old behavior and do as the book suggests...pages 87-88

YES! Awesome! And on the "faith" part of it - I do it because it is right, not because I think I am going to get something good from it... I mean, I DO get something good, but that is no longer my motive. Well, I do have motives to feel better inside myself... ANYWAY! Faith for me means doing the next right thing and not worrying about the results, rather knowing that the result, whatever it is, will be perfect.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby cpr123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 pm

This is the most difficult part of AA for me these days. It is easy for me to act the way I always have, but I think I've started to change the way I act and react to people. I find that my better days are started with prayer. Sometimes its obvious, like when I get angry. Sometimes I realize I haven't changed after someone points something out to me and I don't like what I'm seeing. If I ponder on this topic too much aren't I just thinking of myself too much? Not how I can be helpful to others. I can complicate just about anything.
cpr123
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:09 pm

I was so lucky that an early Sponsor TOLD me to read 83-86 at night, and 86-88 on awakening.

When I do, things do go ALOT smoother.

Proof just last week, An early Plowing morning, already late because of snow accumulation, I stopped for my morning Tim's coffee. The line wasn't moving and there were only 2 of us!

Not only did they double my order, but messed up both of them. Then they gave me 1 of them free, just to mess me up even more! Well the day went down hill from there. To a point where a Boss asked if I was OK? You know the way like "Are you drinking again?"

Early this time sobering up again, I came across this Poem/Prayer, when and where I least expected it.
THE DIFFERENCE

I got up early one morning and rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me, and heavier came each task. "Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He answered, You didn't ask," I wanted to see joy and beauty, but the day toiled on, gray and bleak. I wondered why God didn't show me. He said, "But you didn't seek.: I tried to come into God's presence. I used all my keys at the lock. God gently and lovingly chided, "My child, you didn't knock." I woke up early this morning and paused before enter the day. I had so much to accomplish that i had to take time to pray.

Pretty much sums it up.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Buddistka » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Yes, really we need to find time for prayer. I spend a lot of time to fuss. It always was my anxiety to do more than I can. Now I see this sin which I must get rid of.
Last time I successfully solved my problem with my anger. I recognized on time what result it could be. And I did it:-) I became calm when I realized it:-)
Sober since March, 16th, 2016
Buddistka
Forums Newcomer

Postby Db1105 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:37 am

I'love throw in an amen as well.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions