Another Friend Dead from this Damned Disease

For recovery discussion

Re: Another Friend Dead from this Damned Disease

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:27 am

No harshness, its a fact. If you see all 3 of the stories in "More about alcoholism" illustrates different acceptance level. But what you see is, a common situation. They all took a drink after a period(s) of abstinence. Each were driven to that point or pre-medidated, the common fact is all 3 never thought of the consequences prior to taking that first drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Another Friend Dead from this Damned Disease

Postby clouds » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 am

The chapters in the AA book on alcoholism and more about alcoholism illustrate a very clear point about our disease.

We can have no thought at all but some odd idea along the lines of that it might be ok if I took milk with my whisky, then I wouldn't get gerd, and next day we are worse than ever hung over and disinherited too!

There needn't be any discomfort or hopelessness, no axe to grind, no resentment even to set us off on the next drunken nightmare, that was my experience backed up by the two chapters I mentioned. Its just this mental blank spot that identifies what powerless over alcohol means. The steps are removing the blocks to the access to that power greater than ourselves which is what keeps us sober.

Its not our power over ourselves and our defects that will keep us sober.
We are hopeless with out a power greater than ourselves.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions