Anyone Attending a Meeting on Thanksgiving Day?

For recovery discussion

Re: Anyone Attending a Meeting on Thanksgiving Day?

Postby Layne » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Just got back from a meeting. They have, I believe, 7 maybe 8 meetings scheduled today (usually 2) because of Thanksgiving. There were 3 of us at this meeting.

One guy shared about a recent meeting he attended where there was a young female (probably about 19 years old) there who was fairly new to the whole deal. She was struggling with whether or not she belonged in the rooms and whether or not she was actually an alcoholic. He wound up talking to her after the meeting because he came into the program at a young age and so could relate.

He passed along some strength and wisdom that was shared with him when he was struggling with the same questions way back when. Back then, another member told him of a question that simplified things for him years before when confronted with the same issue. "Has my drinking ever caused another person to shed any tears?"

I have never been to a bad meeting. I have been to large meetings. I have been to small meetings. I have been to blissful meetings. I have been to tension filled meetings. There are always valuable nuggets to mine, the choice of whether I prospect for them is up to me. (forgive the hyperbole,too much time spent in the 49'er Mother Lode region of California).

"Has my drinking ever caused another person to shed any tears?" Such power, in such a simple question. That alone made the price of admission and the 1/2 drive well worth it. I love this program.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Discussions