Delete

For recovery discussion

Delete

Postby David A » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:00 pm

8)
Last edited by David A on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David A
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How Do You Begin Acting In Faith Rather Than Fear?

Postby positrac » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:20 am

^^^ ha ha^^^ I guess we'll never know. :roll:
Last edited by positrac on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:01 am

Good morning David.

My sponsor suggested that I start using the tenth step very early in my program, even before I'd completed the rest of the steps. He did this because of the intensity and frequency of my fearful, or defective emotional responses to life. He told me that much of the change that he called his spiritual experience was evidenced by his having found a responsible, functional way to deal with his persistent negative emotions.

So, I started using the tenth step whenever I felt disturbed whether I felt close to God or not. I would admit what I was feeling, ask my higher power to relieve me of it, talk to a trusted friend about it, make any necessary amends, and resolutely turn my thoughts to someone I could help or some positive action I could take.

To help me understand what responding to life in a healthy way looked like, I paid attention to the people around me, and collected positive role models. These were people I could see that just seemed to understand what it means to live their life from a loving perspective. Watching them gave me some reference material for what the next right thing looked like.

He also suggested the activity I mentioned to you recently, of taking the time to write out positive affirmations about myself and life that I could pull out and read when I started feeling agitated or upset. He told me that his experience was that all of his old negative ways of thinking and responding to life didn't disappear because of his working the steps and commitment to practice the principles in all his affairs. He said for him, they kind of had to rust away from disuse.

For me, committing to work the program and put these spiritual principles first was precisely what you're talking about. It was the commitment to take the steps necessary to turn my thoughts from fear and direct them to love no matter how persistent or intense they were.

None of us do this perfectly. In my experience, the difference between those that stick and those that bounce in and out is whether we accept our imperfection or not and are still willing to make the commitment to and do our best one day, one situation, one defective emotional response at a time. Part of maturing emotionally and spiritually is accepting that you will never graduate from human and will have to deal with stressful, difficult and fearful situations as part of life. Admitting, accepting and turning over your powerlessness takes persistence. But, if you stick with it, you will find that it gets incrementally easier every time you succeed in turning your thoughts from some pleading, demanding fearful thought and resolutely turn it to a loving one.

Good luck to you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:37 am

I couldn't stop drinking alcohol because I was too afraid of how much it would hurt to actually spend my time doing something that might not work out, like living life without alcohol....How well did that work out for me???...I didn't like what i was doing and it wasn't working, but I couldn't stop because of the fear that not doing what wasn't working, might not work out...Crazy, but I was. Yeah, alcohol added to my diseased way of thinking was indeed a cunning, baffling, powerful force.

Whenever I find myself starting to get fearful, I turn my focus to gratitude. When I do that, the fears start to slowly dissipate because my attention has been turned away from them and I am to busy too feed them.

I can't make myself have faith, but I have found that gratitude will give me faith.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:46 am

You can't think your way into right living. You can live your way into right thinking. Because you'll see how good you feel after you help someone else, not before.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:46 am

[quote="David A"]The best I can think of right now is literally just breathing. That's the best I can do right now when I really let go of all the things I use besides alcohol to control my too-intense emotions.[quote]

It is interesting that you said this. I recently suggested a simple "exercise" to someone to tackle fear. Breathe in and as you are doing so, say "Faith in", then breathe out and while doing so, say "Fear out". Repeat as many times as feels right. This worked for me as you cannot have faith and fear at the same time.

My other suggestion is to get active in service. If there aren't enough service positions available in your home group to keep yourself busy, do something to help the community. Stay busy with positive things!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi David,

It reads to me like the things you mention are attempts to control the outer environment in an attempt to create peace in the inner.
For me, learning to control my "inner environment", via spiritual development - prayer, meditation, etc - leaves me more peacefully able to deal with the outside things, such as other peoples actions, TV, food, etc.

Thanks for your share.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions