Purpose

For recovery discussion

Purpose

Postby nola1972 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 am

I'm 6 weeks sober today - I believe I've reached the point where I'm no longer feeling the urge to drink - I don't want it - makes my stomach turn to think of it - however I'm feeling like my sobriety was a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink - anyone else reach this point? I'm just wondering what the point is to pretty much everything in my life - i'm overwhelmed and not sure where to focus my energy. I'm starting over in life - Any input would be greatly appreciated.
nola1972
Forums Newcomer

Re: Purpose

Postby PuppyEars » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 am

Great job on the sober time and welcome to the forum. Chapter 7 in our literature answers the Why Me question. It says: Ministers and doctors are competent and you can learn much from them if you wish, but it happens that because of your own drinking experience you can be uniquely useful to other alcoholics..
Did you grab any AA approved literature in these 6 weeks?
Keep coming back.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 am

nola1972 wrote:I'm 6 weeks sober today - I believe I've reached the point where I'm no longer feeling the urge to drink - I don't want it - makes my stomach turn to think of it - however I'm feeling like my sobriety was a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink - anyone else reach this point? I'm just wondering what the point is to pretty much everything in my life - i'm overwhelmed and not sure where to focus my energy. I'm starting over in life - Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes! You are recreating your life! Make AA a daily activity whether you call someone or read the literature or get to a meeting. A combination of the 3 is what I use. I come to e-aa daily for the Daily Reflections reading and posts!

Yes I thought that I was using AA as a distraction - it was part of my old thinking that I could handle life on life's terms. I have proven to myself that I cannot handle life on life's terms - that is WHY I drank! But AA is a program that work in rough going (and good going too). But I have to practice in times when I am spiritually fit so that I have that practice for when I need it, for when times are rough. Working the 12 Steps with a sponsor is the only true way to have good long term sobriety. So I'd make that a priority!

Here is the main thing for me to keep in my mind... I would not have a new life if I did not have sobriety. I have to protect my sobriety first and foremost or there will be no discussion of distractions or focusing my energies or whether this or that was the cause of my drinking... I drank because I had the phenomena of craving and nothing else mattered. I drank anytime the day ended with the letter "y"! It was not circumstances like I told myself and others - that never really mattered... Nothing else mattered then, just the drink.

So - daily practice - working the Steps
Service work in your home group or district, because working with another alcoholic will work when nothing else does! That's on page 89.
And develop smart feet - go to a lot of meetings for a while... go to one on each day of the week. That way you will know where and when they are if the poo hits the fan on a Wednesday and you will have already broken the ice. Same thing with calling people... practice that calling people so it is easier in an emergency.

AA is my solution. I needed to build that into my new life. When I find ways to do that and I'll be fine!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:16 am

a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink - anyone else reach this point?

Yes, if you look at the book Alcoholics Anonymous Book, after it goes through elaborate ways to illustrate the main problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind, it talks about selfishness and self-centeredness being the root of all problems. The spiritual malady. And as part of 4th step it talks about when we overcome the spiritual malady we straighten out mentally and physically.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:10 am

I'm feeling like my sobriety was a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink

The program is designed to help us sort out those issues, at the start of step four we see this - “Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.” Doing steps 4 & 5 will help you put those issues to rest, and try not to fart around and say this is too hard writing stuff down, it's not that hard once you make a start and it's not a life history, just the main points. Then do #5 right after, and you will be well on your way to seeing why some of us walk around smiling more than others, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 am

I'm feeling like my sobriety was a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink

Now that you are sober, you can effectively work on the other issues. And the 12 steps will make visits to the shrink much more productive. Also, connect with people in the program. Many of us have other issues like PTSD, depression, etc.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi, and welcome to the group.

I can but repeat whats already been said. Read the book, work the steps, deal with those issues - the book showed me how to do this quite simply. It works.

:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Hang in there Nola. It takes time to change those old patterns. Focus on really working the steps. Notice how often service to others is mentioned. If you really incorporate these spiritual ideas into your daily living you're going to find that focusing on how you can be of service to others in the here and now makes more and more sense. And you'll find that it does wonders in dealing with those "is this all there is" thoughts.

Good luck to you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 pm

nola1972 wrote:I'm 6 weeks sober today - I believe I've reached the point where I'm no longer feeling the urge to drink - I don't want it - makes my stomach turn to think of it - however I'm feeling like my sobriety was a distraction from some real issues that have caused me to drink - anyone else reach this point? I'm just wondering what the point is to pretty much everything in my life - i'm overwhelmed and not sure where to focus my energy. I'm starting over in life - Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Alcohol was never my problem. It was the solution to my problem. So when I quit drinking, I was left with the problem and needing to find other ways to solve it. When I got back to AA, I was about 2 weeks or so sober, but felt I had no clue how to live. Flapping around like a fish out of water, I never did ask my sponsor to be a sponsor. I simply asked "can you help me?"
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:23 am

You said a lot and I need to express that 6 weeks is a milestone and different living than before. But urges come when you least expect it and it is the simple things in everyday life that normal people can handle that will set us into the urge to get drunk. Key is not to ever forget your last drink and to not just talk; but actually work on yourself via the 12 Steps of AA.

I will say if you want this then you have got to work it to keep it because alcohol knows no race, color, creed, religion, education and or social status as it is an equal opportunity disease! So Cher you have the information and now it is time to put the action in your traction and get to living.

Be well.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions