84 Days

For recovery discussion

84 Days

Postby Roman James » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:34 pm

I hope to make tomorrow 85, but Halloween is tomorrow. Kinda weird that I'm still counting days...
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 84 Days

Postby clouds » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 am

Thanks for sharing your sobriety with us and congratulations. :)

I counted the days, then weeks, then months, then the years, then the decades.

I like to know my life has been more sober years than drunk ones.

Nothing bad about counting I don't think. :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:59 am

Congratulations on the progress Roman, you seem to be going along fine. I also don't think there is anything 'bad' about counting, and at the beginning I believe most people do, but once we recover as the book says we do, we don't think about drinking anymore, at this point I believe we should not speak of days.

Some feel that mentioning how long they have been sober gives hope to new members, but on the other hand it makes it sound like the person is sort of struggling, one day at a time, waking up each morning and praying and wondering if they will make it another day. This is the opposite of what the program actually achieves, and may put new people off. I much prefer to hear speakers simply refer in a nonchalant way that they have a few years , or months or whatever of sobriety, as if they are not counting, and I cringe when someone uses one of those apps which allows them to say how many minutes.

Living sober becomes so natural we shouldn't have to think about it, the spiritual way of life is simple and enjoyable, something we should do whether we are alcoholics or not. The fact that it took alcohol to introduce me to this way of life is not something I think about, so I don't speak about it either. As the book says “the problem has been removed,” we live one day at a time now, rather than stay sober one day at a time. Keep up the good work, I expect the day will come when you will forget to count, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

I also counted the days, then weeks, then months, and now years. I cherish my sobriety date: Aug. 1, 2009.

There is a guy in our area that seems to have a calculator in his head and if he is at your anniversary celebration he will tell you how many days it has been, even if you have 17 or 37 years! I guess some folks stay "day counters" and that is cool with me. Sometimes I even hear "What time did you wake up this morning? Well, you have more sobriety than me today!"

I try to remember this is an inner journey and all of it is a matter of perception. My perception changes as I grow.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:24 pm

I hope to make tomorrow 85, but Halloween is tomorrow. Kinda weird that I'm still counting days...

Hi Roman. How's it going?

Congrats on 84+ days!

When I finally got sober I counted the days too. The big day for me was 60 days sober. That was the longest I'd been able to stay sober since the age of 21 and was a major big deal to me. The amazing thing was I didn't go buy a bottle to celebrate it.... :lol: Experiencing that kind of sanity was kinda weird for me!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roman James » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks. Made it through the Halloween festivities. Day 86. But who's counting? :D
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:53 pm

I stopped counting as I started experiencing the 10th step promises. Take a deep dive my friend. The 12 steps is designed for living.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 am

avaneesh912 wrote:I stopped counting as I started experiencing the 10th step promises. Take a deep dive my friend. The 12 steps is designed for living.

Couldn't agree more. Glorious.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roman James » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Time to stop counting days. Think I'll start counting the months :lol: 3 months now without a drink.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Woooohooo! Thanks for letting us know!

I remember when I could not give you 3 hours until my next drink! 3 months is a long time, but it is just a beginning. Remember you are building a foundation for life now. Enjoy the journey!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Time to stop counting days. Think I'll start counting the months :lol: 3 months now without a drink.

Counting months works too.... :D

Congrats on 90 days!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Good job Roman keep trudgin my friend!!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby kdub720 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Nice work. And thank you for sharing. The daily count is awesome. Helps you keep the eye on the prize. congradulations.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions