Sober guy at the party

For recovery discussion

Sober guy at the party

Postby Reborn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 am

I just got back from a trip home for my brother's wedding reception. It was great to see the family and spend some time with a few friends. There are a few folks in my immediate family who have symptoms of full blown alcoholism...It's difficult to watch sometimes because I see my old behavior manifesting in people I'm closest to. On the other side however it is quite comical...to watch people go from social drinking to "I love you man" status in a matter of hours. Not one time did I see this and think "man I miss that"...the promise of alcohol no longer being something I obsess over revealed itself big time...before I got to the party I asked God to guide me and protect me from temptation...when I left I gave the grace back to him. It's amazing to think back to when I got here and realize that I could never have done what I did this past weekend. These experiences reaffirm that God is definitely doing for me what I cannot do for myself.

It was a trip to be around active drinkers...I made a couple people uncomfortable...they asked me what I have been up to...the usual small talk of "just working..blah blah blah" would eventually lead into recovery AA talk. It amused me to watch people nod and get the hell away from me as fast as possible. I did my best to bring something to the party and enjoyed myself thoroughly. AA is amazing...It took this hopeless drunk and turned him into the sober guy at the party...so happy that I became willing to take the actions...and continue to do so today...my life is awesome!!!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Re: Sober guy at the party

Postby PaigeB » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 am

It amused me to watch people nod and get the hell away from me as fast as possible.

Been there seen that! I usually don't stay long... as the party turns more toward the rowdy & loud, I want out & might claim irritable bowel syndrome, and though a few would rather discuss THIS than AA, I usually get a fast ticket out the door!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby CaliJohn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:40 am

I went to a couple parties these past couple of months. One was a wedding. One thing I realized is that this was the first wedding I've ever been to when I didn't drink. I noticed that the lights stayed the same brightness the entire night. I remember in the past that the lights would get dimmer throughout the night. The lights didn't actaull change, I got drunker. SoberJohn noticed the lights didn't change at all. haha! I also realized I can actually dance without drinking. Whoa! :shock: :D

Another party was for a work trade show. It's usually a booze fest. I went to a few bars with clients. No biggy. We ended up at a really cool piano bar. Fun. Everyone was drinking but no drunk idiots. It was still early (before 11pm). Then I went to another party back at the hotel. Just a few people remained. They were all sh*t-faced. I found the conversation to be horrible. Damn! I used to be that guy. Slurring. Talking about anything and everything. Hanging out with drunk people isn't as fun as it once was. I grabbed a slice of pizza and headed to my room. Didn't even bother saying goodbye to anyone... they wouldn't remember anyways. ha!

Both events were good reinforcement that you can have a good time without drinking... and drunks aren't really good conversationalists after all. :lol:
CaliJohn
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:55 am

PaigeB wrote:
It amused me to watch people nod and get the hell away from me as fast as possible.

Been there seen that! I usually don't stay long... as the party turns more toward the rowdy & loud, I want out & might claim irritable bowel syndrome, and though a few would rather discuss THIS than AA, I usually get a fast ticket out the door!

yes I agree and earned my merit badge in sober party with a bunch of drunks. Now I never mention sobriety and or AA and just find the door when it is time for me to leave.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm

That is a great story.

I used to be in a heavy drinking scene and when I visit and am ksober, it is wild to see how people act and the transition that takes place as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing the insipiration.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Feeya » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:14 am

Reborn wrote:I did my best to bring something to the party and enjoyed myself thoroughly. AA is amazing...It took this hopeless drunk and turned him into the sober guy at the party...so happy that I became willing to take the actions...and continue to do so today...my life is awesome!!!

Even though I do try to stay away from the drinking scene, I occasionally get that feeling too, when I see people getting wasted. Makes me feel glad to be alive!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions