Funding For Literature for Correction Facilities

For recovery discussion

Funding For Literature for Correction Facilities

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 am

Hey all just wanted to hear if you have experience on how your districts fund literature for correction facilities. Last year we didn't have this Jail we had to take meetings into. So the money was just allocated out of 'Coins for Cons' collection jars for buying literature was quite sufficient. This year we have a county Jail where majority of the inmates are for pre-trail so there is constant flow of new people that we may not even see the next time because of how the Pods are set up. There are 20 of them and they dont mix inmates. So lot of money is being spend on buying those small soft cover BB because thats the only one allowed in that facility. I have spent around 750$ so far. Here is the grinder, I have to literally wait 3 months to get the money reimbursed and this morning I get a note that I have already exhausted all the money. So wondering if Districts just allocate money out of 'Coins for Con' or do they take money out of contributions from the groups and fund toward literature for correction facilities?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Funding For Literature for Correction Facilities

Postby positrac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 am

Well where I live our district has always made literature, coins and anything else AA related that met the jails criteria we brought. I took a meeting into a local jail for a year and never ran short on literature.

The only other thing is that the 7th tradition might be used locally if the district has concerns and or can't cover that nut?
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:06 am

I have always admired those that take aa into correctional facilities and the second I get off parole/probation I intend to take committments. Thanks for your service.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:16 am

This month, our club has put blue cans in the basket. Money in the can goes to jails lit.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:47 am

Spirit Flower wrote:This month, our club has put blue cans in the basket. Money in the can goes to jails lit.

We have those notices at the beginning of the meeting as a reminder and then @ the 7th tradition and it does make a huge difference.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:51 am

PuppyEars wrote:I have always admired those that take aa into correctional facilities and the second I get off parole/probation I intend to take commitments. Thanks for your service.

Almost getting locked up is a far cry from being locked up.

It did help me with getting outside myself and doing for those who couldn't and or wouldn't and for that I learned heaps. :D
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 am

We are a little different in California. We have H & I (Hospitals and Institutions) which is not part of General Service structure. And what we do for literature is sent a separate can around for H & I in meeting. That goes to your local H & I intergroup to they buy and distribute literature to the panel leaders the that go into lockdown facilities.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 am

Roberth wrote:We are a little different in California. We have H & I (Hospitals and Institutions) which is not part of General Service structure. And what we do for literature is sent a separate can around for H & I in meeting. That goes to your local H & I intergroup to they buy and distribute literature to the panel leaders the that go into lockdown facilities.

On the east coast same deal.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:58 am

Our Intergroup accepts group and individual donations of Big Books, 12 and 12, Grapevine and literature to take to our States correctional facilities. We have no county jails in my small state. In addition, meeting at these facilities are also taken in by private volunteers, not Intergroup, since the State requires fingerprinting, background checks, and a dedicated list of names which wouldn't work at Intergroup. So far it has worked out well.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions